Tilty felts, Grrrr

Does anyone else have this problem and/or a solution? All my felts have gotten lopsided, and now that I set up all my cymbals at 90 degree angles (don't panic-they're low, I can and do hit them with glancing blows comfortably) they all tilt all around at dumb amateur-looking angles as they spin.

It's driving me and my faux-OCD-afflicted brain crazy!

felts are cheap things.. just buy a big bumper pack of them.. gibraltar do like 20 packs for about £10 lol.

Then just replace them as they start getting saggy. I have the mapex attenuators on my stands, and i dont like them... will be replacing them with felts ASAP. The way the cymbals just bounce off the rubber suggests to me that theres more stress going on there than there would be with some nice soft felts which absorb impact slower and have more give.

i bought 6 felts and 3 cymbal savers in a set for about £4, so its not exactly an expensive thing to replace.

Flip them over every few weeks to be able to keep them longer...but like mentioned just buy a pack of 'em and you should be good to go

Not sure if Yamaha sells their felts separately, but the felts that come included with their stands are FANTASTIC!!! I've had mine for a while now (and I'm the 2nd owner of most of the stands) and you can barely tell them from the brand new ones that came on the stands I bought recently.

If you can get them, I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

HTH

- Mike

Like others have said just buy some, they aren't expensive and problem solved. I will echo the sentiments that yamaha felts seem to hold up extremely well!

This may seem like a really silly question but are cymbals supposed to be done up tight to control them or really loose so the shock is absorbed?
whenever i have my crashes loose the cymbals are tilting all over the place! Its not as much of a problem when your playing fast but in half time passages they are at the wrong bloody angle by the time i next need to hit!
Maybe even tho the screw is loose i need softer felts? i dunno!

This may seem like a really silly question but are cymbals supposed to be done up tight to control them or really loose so the shock is absorbed?
whenever i have my crashes loose the cymbals are tilting all over the place! Its not as much of a problem when your playing fast but in half time passages they are at the wrong bloody angle by the time i next need to hit!
Maybe even tho the screw is loose i need softer felts? i dunno!

Find the happy medium between too loose/uncontrollable and too tight where they are more likely to crack. Like you said, they need to be somewhat loose to absorb the shock better.

I use rubber washers , they don't muffle the cymbal as much as felt washers , they allow to move te cymbal more frily and they last longer.

I use mapex washers , but gibraltar also make some good ones

Felts are not meant to last forever. Just get some new ones. If you can remember to reverse them, as someone else suggested, they will last longer. For the past couple of years I have taken to playing my cymbals absolutely flat so that isn't a concern for me anymore!

Never tried them, they retail on their website for $7.95 for one. I can outfit two cymbal stands with felts for $4.

Back