TikTok Video. Drummer Stands on Drums and Crashes Cymbal.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
The main thing about Tik-Tok is that all my data could end up filed with a communist dictatorship, that already uses facial recognition to target people they don't like.
Bejing gets the data.

During a chat with my adult daughter, she told me about the dopamine loop that occurs when anyone browses a site like Instagram or TikTok. ugh.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
The sources being chosen for information consumption have no means of being vetted. It's not a new phenomenon, "I read it on the interwebs so it must be true" has been a thing since the interwebs came about. Social media has exacerbated the plethora of incomplete and outright false information exponentially. It's not coincidence that the number of people who believe the earth is flat and NASA is part of some grand conspiracy has increased. Or any nonsense conspiracy for that matter. When one believes something because it was on instatwitface and then they share that, it makes manipulation of a group of people easy.
Look at the anti-vax movement. A few people grabbed onto a poor and unreviewed research paper and they ran with it all over the baby version of the interwebs and social media. Now it's become a problem for all of society. Quality intel does not come quickly. Neither does good policy. It's not a matter of attention, it's a need for instant gratification.
Wanting to be spoon fed things is nothing new, that is just laziness, wanting results now isn't new either but it has been growing to the point that it's becoming detrimental to society as a whole.
Misinformation is a team effort. It requires an audience that will devour it and unscrupulous individuals or groups to proliferate it. See: QAnon, Alex Jones, CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Flat Earth, etc. Let us not also forget the true driver behind all of it: $$$$$$
It also helps if a society is taught to think critically rather than taught to take a test. Then they would see the bullshit for what it is.
Isnt that a people problem though, and not a platform problem? Not everyone who uses those platforms becomes misinformed.

I feel like it's the same as saying everyone who smokes weed is dumb. It's clearly not the case.

someguy01

Platinum Member
Isnt that a people problem though, and not a platform problem? Not everyone who uses those platforms becomes misinformed.

I feel like it's the same as saying everyone who smokes weed is dumb. It's clearly not the case.
It's a both problem. The people feed on that nonsense so the creators make more because it gets them paid.
Stupidity and greed going hand in hand since the dawn of civilization.
We're just watching its exponential growth from the advent of the interwebs and instatwitface.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
It's a both problem. The people feed on that nonsense so the creators make more because it gets them paid.
Stupidity and greed going hand in hand since the dawn of civilization.
We're just watching its exponential growth from the advent of the interwebs and instatwitface.
I just kinda feel like its blaming the box instead of the person standing on it. Although I do agree that today's box is 500' tall, and has a massive PA and light show.

someguy01

Platinum Member
I just kinda feel like its blaming the box instead of the person standing on it. Although I do agree that today's box is 500' tall, and has a massive PA and light show.
I'm just saying the folks who built the box are just as culpable as the people standing on it.

Al Strange

Platinum Member
This thread has traveled an awful long way since the dude in stripey trousers shamefully disrespected his gear and asked his fellow drummers to share! If he’d knocked out the guitar player with that cymbal I might’ve considered it… :unsure: For the record, the earth is not round…everyone knows it’s an oblate spheroid!! 😁(y)🌍

Stroman

Platinum Member
This thread has traveled an awful long way since the dude in stripey trousers shamefully disrespected his gear and asked his fellow drummers to share! If he’d knocked out the guitar player with that cymbal I might’ve considered it… :unsure: For the record, the earth is not round…everyone knows it’s an oblate spheroid!! 😁(y)🌍
So funny!

Oh, and for the record, my initial response - "Hard Pass" - was about standing on the drums. Had nothing to do with TikTok, lol. Not that I'm a user of that platform, but it wasn't what I referred to in my post. 😅

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
But if they learn something, they have actually used their brain. Which isnt a muscle by the way.

yeah, I know that :cool: ....I was just usingg a metaphor

I will no longer sit around idly while others willing bash an entire group of people over something they choose to do. People dont deserve to be shat upon, especially for doing nothing other than what makes them happy. The constant bitching about others activities is as useful as tits on a fish. I for one am sick and tired of it.

I hear it from family. I hear it on tv. Now I gotta hear it here too. So I have adopted a new policy. Anyone who wants to complain about other people, prepare to be called out and put front and center. I cant f****** handle people hating on people any more. Be nice dammit.

I cant f****** handle people hating on people any more. Be nice dammit. <--- I am totally on your side, but from a different perspective:

I am not bashing. I am making observations. Saying that you don't like, or disagree with someone is not bashing.
If you hate Rush, I would not consider that bashing just b/c I like them
If you hate the Steelers, I would not consider that bashing just b/c I like them

honestly, if you called me stupid because of both of the above, I would really not let it affect me either

Saying that what they are doing is leading to negativity is not bashing. Defining an "expectation box" and hoping people stick to it is not bashing. My "expectation box" for people is that they will not make decisions that can affect the group negatively. The group is more important than the individual to me. So I will call out stupidity on Tiktok, or in sports, or band, of church, or whatever, when it is bringing up elements that will deteriorate civility within the group. I WILL bash negativity, criminality, dishonesty, narcissism, etc....but I guess I feel like it is more standing up to it.

I guess I feel like we are living in a world where people are substituting "nice" with dishonesty. We are living in a world where criticism has disappeared and been replaced by chaos. We are living in a world where people are afraid to call out negativity, and then spending all of their time wondering why there is so much negativity....

I tell my students all the time that I will never lie to them, and sugar coat things when they are wrong. I will tell them when they are wrong, why they are wrong and that they have to fix it to mee the standard set by the culture. If they get butt hurt about it, that is on them. I interact the same way with regular people too.. Not that I look to be a jerk, but it is not fair to someone to lie to them. Even if it is going to hurt for whatever reason

That is how I reacted to this subject.

I can't handle people ignoring negative things that break down the civil structure of a culture just to make everyone "feel good". I wish people would just inherently Be nice dammit!!!....and not fake it

Last edited:

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
Isnt that a people problem though, and not a platform problem?
The platform (the platformS) have an obligation not to be used maliciously, but they are really ALL about the money and not about the consequences. All these social media platforms have been used for cyber warfare, misinformation about vaccines, sponsored by governments to sow discontent and disunity. The danger with Tik-Tok is it's base in a totalitarian state, as opposed to Twitter and Facebook, based in a democracy.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I tell my students all the time that I will never lie to them, and sugar coat things when they are wrong. I will tell them when they are wrong, why they are wrong and that they have to fix it to mee the standard set by the culture. If they get butt hurt about it, that is on them. I interact the same way with regular people too.. Not that I look to be a jerk, but it is not fair to someone to lie to them. Even if it is going to hurt for whatever reason
I dont want anyone to lie to the kids at all. I want them to do it without making the kids feel bad for what they are doing. It isnt wrong, it's just a choice.

When people are critical of a group, especially when that person is someone of authority, it can make people within the group feel negative about themselves just for participating in said activity. That is the problem.

The platform (the platformS) have an obligation not to be used maliciously, but they are really ALL about the money and not about the consequences. All these social media platforms have been used for cyber warfare, misinformation about vaccines, sponsored by governments to sow discontent and disunity. The danger with Tik-Tok is it's base in a totalitarian state, as opposed to Twitter and Facebook, based in a democracy.
I dont disagree with this. Or your concern about data mining. What I do disagree with is this part:

I'm not allowed to hold the manufacturer of an item responsible for what folks do with their product, ie Ford is not responsible for someone going on a pedestrian killing spree in their F-150. Or gun companies. Same thing. This is different. Why? (<--its gotta be something else than china and data mining, everyone collects info. I need a different reason)

When I watch Tik Tok I just see people being people, and it's my responsibility as the end user to decide what is or is not worthwhile. I see and hear the exact same thing going on outside of Tik Tok also.

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
Or gun companies. Same thing.
Yeah, that would be different in many countries outside the USA.
The POINT I was making is that mainstream media are tasked with verifying all of their content. The social media companies are being used by negative forces to spread misinformation and discontent. That is currently threatening the way we live, especially in democracies. Facebook, Google etc all say they are removing harmful and/or misleading content, but research shows they either aren't doing it, or they are verrrrry slow I doing it. The 100% reason why the social media companies don't remove that content is because it drives more income to their bank accounts. It's ALL about making money, and (sadly) be damned your safe and stable lifestyle.
China and Russia spend millions covertly promoting their point of view through social media. All the social media we see comes from democratic countries, EXCEPT one - Tik-Tok.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Yeah, that would be different in many countries outside the USA.
The POINT I was making is that mainstream media are tasked with verifying all of their content. The social media companies are being used by negative forces to spread misinformation and discontent. That is currently threatening the way we live, especially in democracies. Facebook, Google etc all say they are removing harmful and/or misleading content, but research shows they either aren't doing it, or they are verrrrry slow I doing it. The 100% reason why the social media companies don't remove that content is because it drives more income to their bank accounts. It's ALL about making money, and (sadly) be damned your safe and stable lifestyle.
China and Russia spend millions covertly promoting their point of view through social media. All the social media we see comes from democratic countries, EXCEPT one - Tik-Tok.
I dont really wanna get into the political aspect of it. I do understand your concern. I dont care for that aspect of anything and will keep my mouth shut.

I'm stuck on the "blaming the tool" part instead of how people (just people, not govt, business, etc) use it. I would guess that 90% (or better, its a guess) of Tik Tok users arent out to rig an election, defraud, or intentionally mislead someone. To lump the entire Tik Tok universe into one collective meatloaf just feels wrong.

I-P

I dont really wanna get into the political aspect of it. I do understand your concern. I dont care for that aspect of anything and will keep my mouth shut.

I'm stuck on the "blaming the tool" part instead of how people (just people, not govt, business, etc) use it. I would guess that 90% (or better, its a guess) of Tik Tok users arent out to rig an election, defraud, or intentionally mislead someone. To lump the entire Tik Tok universe into one collective meatloaf just feels wrong.
Mmmm meatloaf.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
yeah, I know that :cool: ....I was just usingg a metaphor

I cant f****** handle people hating on people any more. Be nice dammit. <--- I am totally on your side, but from a different perspective:

I am not bashing. I am making observations. Saying that you don't like, or disagree with someone is not bashing.
If you hate Rush, I would not consider that bashing just b/c I like them
If you hate the Steelers, I would not consider that bashing just b/c I like them

honestly, if you called me stupid because of both of the above, I would really not let it affect me either

Saying that what they are doing is leading to negativity is not bashing. Defining an "expectation box" and hoping people stick to it is not bashing. My "expectation box" for people is that they will not make decisions that can affect the group negatively. The group is more important than the individual to me. So I will call out stupidity on Tiktok, or in sports, or band, of church, or whatever, when it is bringing up elements that will deteriorate civility within the group. I WILL bash negativity, criminality, dishonesty, narcissism, etc....but I guess I feel like it is more standing up to it.

I guess I feel like we are living in a world where people are substituting "nice" with dishonesty. We are living in a world where criticism has disappeared and been replaced by chaos. We are living in a world where people are afraid to call out negativity, and then spending all of their time wondering why there is so much negativity....

That is how I reacted to this subject.

I can't handle people ignoring negative things that break down the civil structure of a culture just to make everyone "feel good". I wish people would just inherently Be nice dammit!!!....and not fake it
Much respect

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
That's why professional social media personalities are called 'influencers', because they influence people, however innocent it all seems.
So does the clergy, and many other non social media organizations though. This isn't new because of Tik Tok or social media. People have been manipulating other people in one way or another since the dawn of time.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I dont want anyone to lie to the kids at all. I want them to do it without making the kids feel bad for what they are doing. It isnt wrong, it's just a choice.

When people are critical of a group, especially when that person is someone of authority, it can make people within the group feel negative about themselves just for participating in said activity. That is the problem.

I totally agree. And with my groups - and family, friends etc - my intent is never to make them feel bad about themselves...but I am not afraid to make them feel bad about letting themsleves, and the group down.

At school, I have a meeting with all of my new parents and kids, and tell them that being a member of my group is going to be different than what they are used to. They know that every day is not going to be rainbows and unicorns, and that the reaction they get from me depends directly on the work they do for the group. Just like real life.

And, feeling negative about yourself is a reality. It is not a reality we can, or should ignore - the state of the USA right now is living proof of a demographic of people who are escaping negative reality....which doesn't help fix it. Growing up, when I felt negative about something, I worked to make that not happen again.. It was/is ON ME!!! Negativity does not stop by ignoring it. You have to learn to anticipate it, identify it, and the make a plan to get rid of it. THAT is what I want my students to leave my program with - the knowledge that THEY are in charge of their destiny.

I also always tell them: "you are in charge of the amount of fun you have in drumline (life.) If you give me "crap", I am going to react with "crap", if you give me "good", I am going to react with good. It is not my job to keep you entertained....that is a result of having knowledge, awareness, preparedness, strength, flexibility, being proactive. "

Avoiding negativity comes from using knowledge, awareness, preparedness, strength, flexibility, being proactive.

Al Strange

Platinum Member
I agree that you simply can’t avoid negativity in life. It’s not always within your control either. Some people take a disliking to you, no matter what you do. For every person who needs home truths and a kick up the backside, there’s someone who needs a little more time, patience and encouragement to be the best that they can be. You can needlessly destroy/hurt people if you get it wrong...I remember the tool who humiliated me when I was 13 because I couldn’t read music in my first drum “lesson”…and the superhero teacher who taught me to read music and gave me my wings on the instrument. Same sensitive insecure kid, 2 completely different approaches…I thank the universe for Eric Hammond, he changed my life.:unsure:

mattmc3287

If they get butt hurt about it, that is on them. I interact the same way with regular people too.. Not that I look to be a jerk, but it is not fair to someone to lie to them. Even if it is going to hurt for whatever reason
I FEEEEEEEL you on this, man! My brother likes to tell me that I am an ass hole because I will be very blatant and upfront with our band members about their mistakes and shortcomings. Instead of ho-hum pussy footing around it I just go straight for the punch line. Not with any malice whatsoever, but just straight to the point. I am the same way with myself. I am hyper-critical of my own playing (substitute performance in any other area of life here) and I hold the people I play with to the same standard. When they do not meet that standard, if I don't make that clear to them - if I just say "good job" and move on - then who is benefitting? I find it disrespectful to other people to make the decision for them that they are unable to handle the truth.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I FEEEEEEEL you on this, man! My brother likes to tell me that I am an ass hole because I will be very blatant and upfront with our band members about their mistakes and shortcomings. Instead of ho-hum pussy footing around it I just go straight for the punch line. Not with any malice whatsoever, but just straight to the point. I am the same way with myself. I am hyper-critical of my own playing (substitute performance in any other area of life here) and I hold the people I play with to the same standard. When they do not meet that standard, if I don't make that clear to them - if I just say "good job" and move on - then who is benefitting?

yep. My dad taught me from the beginning that lying is wasted time. And you don't want to waste time cause you can't get it back.

being a band director who is running 4 full time school programs, I don't have the time to waste, so my kids get "caring honesty" from me. I am pretty sure I am the only teacher most of them have who does not give everyone a trophy just for being there. I have contact with many alums who say that the honest criticism they got in drumline helped them prepare for jobs, family life etc....that they were always well prepared to handle negativity and adverse situations.

part of being effectively honest also involves being able to read people. I monitor over 200 kids a week from age 11-18, and I know how to push each one of those kids buttons to get the results they want. And they are all very different.

I find it disrespectful to other people to make the decision for them that they are unable to handle the truth.

Abso-freakin'-lutely!!!!