TikTok Video. Drummer Stands on Drums and Crashes Cymbal.

Stroman

Platinum Member
those countries have more nuggets than we do! There is a saturation point for pointless stupidity, and America reached it 15 years ago. Time to cut it all off

Curmudgeon, out!
Welcome to the curmudgeon club. 😁

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Welcome to the curmudgeon club. 😁

gladly a card carrying member

from what people tell me, it has been since I was 30...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Do they serve cocktails?

yep.. full bar, huge menu, usually will put ion which ever game you want on the tv closest to you

Frank Godiva

How is this any different from boomers who don't know how to use a browser and type in url's to the google search bar, and then complain when the "webpage" it goes to just has a list of stuff?

A search engine gives you historical reliant content across various sources in various formats; text, images, video based on your search criteria from the whole of the WWW

TickTock provides you with only TT posted videos only tied in with the For You algorithm.

“They don't have a long attention span; they said that several times," said Adrienne Sheares, a social media consultant, who formed a Gen Z focus group to discuss their searching habits. "They want to get the information really quickly, and get to the meat of it really quickly and not have to sort."

“They use it a couple different ways," said Sheares. "So they could either be looking for it and search kind of similar to how you and I would search. But they also love the 'For You' page that kind of brings the results to them before they're even looking."

TikTok's "For You" page consists of a scrolling feed of videos that the app's algorithm has determined the user may be interested in. As such, searching via the "For You" page is more about discovering content, rather than looking for something specific. TikTok surfaces content based on a variety of factors, including how long a user lingers on a certain type of video, or whether they like or comment on it. Sheares said that algorithm is a big part of why younger users seem to enjoy searching for content on TikTok.”

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
"They don't have a long attention span; they said that several times," said Adrienne Sheares, a social media consultant, who formed a Gen Z focus group to discuss their searching habits. "They want to get the information really quickly, and get to the meat of it really quickly and not have to sort."
I'm Gen X. I also have a short attention span and want the information now. What's the problem?

Before anyone diverts to the curmudgeonly answer of "its destroying society", put your thinking caps on and try to honestly answer the question. What's the problem with having a short attention span and wanting the information now?

Frank Godiva

I'm Gen X. I also have a short attention span and want the information now. What's the problem?

Before anyone diverts to the curmudgeonly answer of "its destroying society", put your thinking caps on and try to honestly answer the question. What's the problem with having a short attention span and wanting the information now?

Limitation for starters followed by a willingness to do the research yourself. Going to college is as much about learning how to learn, as much as it is learning about a specific subject area.

So if your searching for a subject and no one has made a video in TikTok on it, then you search result yields zero cause a TikTok search is only for its videos.

Let’s say someone did make some videos on the subject; how do you know if that person has the expertise in the subject area or just likes making videos for entertainment to get Likes?

So I guess the culmination of human knowledge up to the point before video is just no longer relevant; like it must not be important if someone hasn’t bothered to make a TikTok video of it…..

"For the more serious information, they do like Google," said Sheares. "If they do see something on TikTok, they will use other methods to verify, which generally looks like going to Google or a news source to back it up."

The trend of using images and video in online searches could be here to stay. Earlier this year, Google showed off a new feature dubbed "Multisearch," which lets users search with a combination of text and photos.”

And that’s the take away. The younger generation expects multimedia as the preferred information delivery method.

865DF438-2299-4A2B-95D8-83B596D4855B.jpeg

Stroman

Platinum Member

One downside I see is that it's impossible to properly vet information online, quickly. This seems to have given rise to a very vocal, adamant segment of society that believes things that are simply, verifiably untrue.

I guess that potential has always been here, but the rapidity with which misinformation can be spread today is astonishing.

I essentially believe *nothing* I read on the Internet out of hand.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Limitation for starters followed by a willingness to do the research yourself.
That is a condition you have administered to Tok Tok users. Did you actually ask any of them if they enjoy doing research? You dont know they arent willing. Bothering to even do a search shows willingness.

So if your searching for a subject and no one has made a video in TikTok on it, then you search result yields zero cause a TikTok search is only for its videos.
This is an everything limitation, not just Tik Tok. Try to find "human soul" on ebay.

Let’s say someone did make some videos on the subject; how do you know if that person has the expertise in the subject area or just likes making videos for entertainment to get Likes?
Do you believe everything you see on tv, or do you use your own judgment to weed out the crap?

So I guess the culmination of human knowledge up to the point before video is just no longer relevant; like it must not be important if someone hasn’t bothered to make a TikTok video of it…..
Keep screaming at clouds.

For the more serious information, they do like Google," said Sheares. "If they do see something on TikTok, they will use other methods to verify, which generally looks like going to Google or a news source to back it up."

The trend of using images and video in online searches could be here to stay. Earlier this year, Google showed off a new feature dubbed "Multisearch," which lets users search with a combination of text and photos.”
Exactly. I'm surprised you actually quoted this because it somewhat negates your entire argument.

865DF438-2299-4A2B-95D8-83B596D4855B.jpeg
This book is an opinion. Did you verify it with Google or do you just believe it? It must mean something to you as this isnt the first time you posted it.

Frank Godiva

One downside I see is that it's impossible to properly vet information online, quickly. This seems to have given rise to a very vocal, adamant segment of society that believes things that are simply, verifiably untrue.

I guess that potential has always been here, but the rapidity with which misinformation can be spread today is astonishing.

I essentially believe *nothing* I read on the Internet out of hand.

Well said.

Dave your one these guys that just had to comment on nearly every post around here, just to hear yourself talk?

I quoted multiple experts in field of this research. If you have some hard over opinion (which you seem to have no shortage of) then reach out to The NY Times and straighten them out cause they are not the experts..,. You are.

I’m heading to todays gig at Embassy Suite Napa for a nurses association luncheon.

I leave you to continue to entertain yourself; an endless endeavor that clearly brings you great joy on this forum

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Well said.

Dave your one these guys that just had to comment on nearly every post around here, just to hear yourself talk?

I quoted multiple experts in field of this research. If you have some hard over opinion (which you seem to have no shortage of) then reach out to The NY Times and straighten them out cause they are not the experts..,. You are.

I’m heading to todays gig at Embassy Suite Napa for a nurses association luncheon.

I leave you to continue to entertain yourself; an endless endeavor that clearly brings you great joy on this forum
Insults and attacks, the response of a man without an actual response. Good job.

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
This thread is peak boomer.
Not really, just some people are informed.
I'm not a fan of having my data collected and stored, I'm not a fan of being tracked around the internet. All social media do this.
I'm not on Facebook, I'm not on Twitter, I don't choose to be on What's App, but business people I work with want me to be on What's App.
The main thing about Tik-Tok is that all my data could end up filed with a communist dictatorship, that already uses facial recognition to target people they don't like.
I'll give Tik-Tok a pass, even if it's just some small support for the Uigher people.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member

I will answer that it means that people really do't KNOW, anything. The pursuit of knowledge is what helps the brain "stay in shape". It helps the brains make forward and backward connections to events, and gives an idea of relevancy to events over a span of time, which develops all kids off cognitive relationships that we use to navigate day to day life events

if you stop using a muscle, it atrophies....

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I will answer that it means that people really do't KNOW, anything. The pursuit of knowledge is what helps the brain "stay in shape". It helps the brains make forward and backward connections to events, and gives an idea of relevancy to events over a span of time, which develops all kids off cognitive relationships that we use to navigate day to day life events

if you stop using a muscle, it atrophies....
But if they learn something, they have actually used their brain. Which isnt a muscle by the way.

I will no longer sit around idly while others willing bash an entire group of people over something they choose to do. People dont deserve to be shat upon, especially for doing nothing other than what makes them happy. The constant bitching about others activities is as useful as tits on a fish. I for one am sick and tired of it.

I hear it from family. I hear it on tv. Now I gotta hear it here too. So I have adopted a new policy. Anyone who wants to complain about other people, prepare to be called out and put front and center. I cant f****** handle people hating on people any more. Be nice dammit.

someguy01

Platinum Member
The sources being chosen for information consumption have no means of being vetted. It's not a new phenomenon, "I read it on the interwebs so it must be true" has been a thing since the interwebs came about. Social media has exacerbated the plethora of incomplete and outright false information exponentially. It's not coincidence that the number of people who believe the earth is flat and NASA is part of some grand conspiracy has increased. Or any nonsense conspiracy for that matter. When one believes something because it was on instatwitface and then they share that, it makes manipulation of a group of people easy.
Look at the anti-vax movement. A few people grabbed onto a poor and unreviewed research paper and they ran with it all over the baby version of the interwebs and social media. Now it's become a problem for all of society. Quality intel does not come quickly. Neither does good policy. It's not a matter of attention, it's a need for instant gratification.
Wanting to be spoon fed things is nothing new, that is just laziness, wanting results now isn't new either but it has been growing to the point that it's becoming detrimental to society as a whole.
Misinformation is a team effort. It requires an audience that will devour it and unscrupulous individuals or groups to proliferate it. See: QAnon, Alex Jones, CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Flat Earth, etc. Let us not also forget the true driver behind all of it: $$$$$$
It also helps if a society is taught to think critically rather than taught to take a test. Then they would see the bullshit for what it is.