Tight bond, are hoarder?

Yeah so I'm thinking of selling my first kit once I get my new set, but I'm also afraid to because it feels like a part of me. is this normal, are am I just a hoarder?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I don't think you are a hoarder for wanting to keep your first kit. I'll never get rid of mine!

dale w miller

Silver Member
Mine was a piece, but someone stole it anyway. I do not miss it. I have pics.

My second kit, cost my life savings at 16. It burned to the ground in college. I do not miss it. I have pics.

My 3rd kit was the kit I recorded almost all my albums on. It had the sickest kick drum sound and the toms were great too. I regret selling that kit, but I just didn't have the room with 4 other kits at home.

AZslim

I kept my kit form high school for 25 years without playing it. I couldn't get rid of it because it was the last thing my mom ever bought me. I decided to play again and I broke them out. '66 Slingerlands blue satin flame with a Gene Krupa sound king. They're beat to hell but intact. I took the bottom heads off and even the lugs (the 70's go figure) because i thought they looked cooler without the. But.....even at 17 I was smart enough to save all of the hardware yay! I'm sooo glad I kept them. I still practice with them

I say keep 'em. Not only are they sentimental but having a second kit is very handy.

toddmc

Gold Member
If it's just going to sit there as a museum piece gathering dust I say sell it.
But as Dre says, maybe keep one for home and one for gigs if you have the space and don't need the money to subsidise the new kit.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
You should sell them. Everyone sells something they eventually regret, you might as well get it over with lol.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Keep them unless you have no other option.

I was devastated when I sold my first serious kit....but I needed the money more than I needed the sentiment. I'd had a big bust up with the band I was in and couldn't bring myself to drum anymore. I really went a little bit to pieces.

AZslim has seriously raised the bar though...my parents are gone, and if my mum (especially mum) had bought me them then I know I wouldn't be able to sell them on.

The other thing is...and this is perhaps a bit soppy...drums are for playing, not looking at, those beauties WANT to be played. I always considered mine to be a bit 'sad' sat in the corner just being looked at. "play me...pleeeease play me". I took some solace from the fact that they were destined to be used.

I bought a Sonor kit off a guy a couple of weeks back. You could tell no-one had played it for a while. He looked quite sad to let it go. I think his words were "at least they might get played".

"Might....says I....fuck man you don't know the favour you've done me here.....these things are going to get played at least once, often twice a week, and they'll be gigged within the next two weeks, and hopefully at least once per month thereafter"....he visibly chirped up.

Sentimental old fart I am...

Anon La Ply

Renegade
If you love somebody, set them free :)

Seriously, I agree with Dre. Having a home kit and a a kit to play out saves a lot of messing around. If you have the space and cash that would seem the way to go.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I started out as a guitar player and my current drum kit is my first and only kit.

I still have my first guitar and used to feel a bit like that. Honestly , I doubt I would be able to sell a cheap Samick from '89 to anyone. The quality of inexpensive instruments was no where near what it is today, so it means more to me than I would get for it, but I don't really care anymore.

In regard to other stuff. These days, life having shaped me the way it has I don't really get attached to things in the same way. I don't sell many things, but do a lot of research before I buy. If something is not in use I let it go so someone else can enjoy it. That goes for the rest of life for me as well. The last 10-15 I've turned more and more into a minimalist, but understand the value of doubling up in regards to options and practicality in regards to my work equipment.

I have only one kit at my practice space as well as a small one for my students. If I was gigging regularly I'd probably get another one that would was packed up and ready to go or stayed in the band's van. It's a pretty big kit so something smaller with a couple of really light stands would also be a good add on.

I just think practically. I would be pissed off if my favourite snares got lost, destroyed or stolen, but they are replaceable.

BigDinSD

Gold Member
One kit for home, one for live playing. That's what I tell myself..
The very 1st one bought by my parents decades ago I abandoned at our band's practice garage. I quickly forgot about it among college, careers, women, and life. Wasn't too sentimental about it - being a Sears Catalog purchase.

25 years later I pick up the next kit, and shortly after, a custom 2nd kit that kicks ass. The 1st one I keep for gigs, the 2nd one in the home studio. Very pleased with that.

I say keep both kits and get some good travel cases. Sell 'em if you never intend to gig.

I would say that hoarding is when you have more gear than you could realistically play or need. However - I've seen some magnificent collections of incredible gear on this forum.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I sold my first two kits,and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret it.If you have the room keep it.I have 4 kits now and a bunch of snares and cymbals.Hoarding is something else altogether.Hoarders keep EVERYTHING.

Don't sweat it.If somebody is telling you you're a hoarder for having two drum sets,they have alterior motives.Don't you believe it.

Steve B

opentune

Platinum Member
Do what ever your heart tells you. You want 3, 4, 6, kits, keep 'em. 1 kit fine.
Its your life, your stuff, your money, your space. Enjoy your drums, all 1 or 100 of them.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Over the years I've had two Ludwig Holiday oyster kits. One I sold when I moved to California and the other I sold to buy a bigger more modern kit. At the times they were just cheap old small Ludwig kits and were worth maybe $400. Boy do I regret that now. But drums were just a 2nd instrument and something to play around recording at home with. You never know what will turn out to be worth something. But many musicians keep flipping gear. Either they're chasing some elusive sound in their head or their tastes (and the times) change. If you can keep something of quality, do it. You never know when the cycle will come around again. And what you thought was old hat becomes what you want to do.

RockNGrohl

If you don't need it, won't ever be playing it because the new kit would be used more, and need the space, you could sell it at a fair price or donate it to somebody who would really love to have it. That's what i did with my first kit. Pass the fun of playing on to somebody who would love and care for it and get good use out if it. Maybe as a first kit for someone younger just starting out like you were when you got that set.

Ekim

Silver Member
I'm a hoarder. Hell, I miss snares and guitars I didn't even LIKE!!!

I've been intending to sell most of my Sabian HH Manhattan setup (rides & hats) and a few other odds and ends for a year or so. I don't know what my issues are, but they're sure there!

I'd gladly loan out my first kit (mid 80s Tama Swingstar) to any of my nephews, but I wouldn't want to sell it. It's a great kit to pound on as it gets a great big, boomy sound. I'd use it for a gigging kit if I were doing rock or blues or anything it would be suitable.