Thrones and Glamorous Health Issues

Sammi Shredd

*warning!* This discussion is only for the most fabulous rock stars, as that involves glittery details of the glamorous lifestyle.

While on tour in 2003 I partied so hard and hauled so many Marshall stacks that I found myself in a hospital getting my butthole sliced open for hemmorhoid surgery. Ah! The glories of guitar that were not mentioned in the magazines I read as a teen!

Aside from that episode it's been no more than a minor nuisance ever since.

I turned 40 in august and decided it was time for change. I sold my guitar gear, bought a drum kit and started a new band. I LOVE PLAYING DRUMS. I practice about nine hours a day and it is coming along great. But oh my what a "pain in the butt" it has become.

I was assured (ass-ured?) that The Porkpie was the best and most comfortable drum throne I could get and, well, it really burns my bottom that I paid so much money for this torture device that feels like I'm sitting in the lap of my prison-boyfriend. To make matters worse a few days ago a new kind of pain started farther up in a secret place I won't even mention. It is a crippling agony that I've never felt before, and so I'm going to the doctor today. I don't want to hear this "you'll never play drums again" garbage because its the crowning joy of my midlife crisis and now that I've started drumming I'll NEVER stop.

So. Hi! Cool story huh?
Any thoughts from the peanut gallery about better drum thrones? Or any advice at all how to play drums without dying from complications? I would love to hear it.
:D

I have a Roc N Soc throne, the model with the big round seat. Comfortable as anything.

9 hours a day practicing my be the cause of your pain. That's crazy :)

No drugs or surgery! that's all most conventional medical doctors know.

+1 for Roc N Soc, I love mine and can sit in it for a long time comfortably. However, 9 hours a day in any chair will probably hurt your backside......

Hmm, I was with ya up until the prison boyfriend thing... :)

I just purchased the Carmichael based on the posts in the thread linked above. I love it and I have two Roc N Soc thrones now. I was able to just buy the seat and mount it on the Roc N Soc hardware. It is excellent. It is firm but the comfort it gives is something to be experienced. Huge pressure relief in the lower back and prostate area. And it truly does take much less effort to retain balance compared to a traditional throne.

9 hours of practice a day is a TON.

....it really burns my bottom that I paid so much money for this torture device that feels like I'm sitting in the lap of my prison-boyfriend.

Do the two of you stay in touch?

Seriously, 9 hours a day?? Half of that would be a LOT of drumming.

Perhaps you could use some of that time to do some music-related community service, maybe teach a music therapy program back at the joint.

I use a heavy duty piano bench as a throne. After trying several good quality thrones and still being disappointed, I remembered how much more support and comfort a good piano bench has and bought one for myself.

The funny thing is an expensive piano bench is a lot cheaper than an expensive drum throne. It IS a little more cumbersome since it can't break down for transport, but I really don't think I'd ever go back to a drum throne again.

*warning!* This discussion is only for the most fabulous rock stars, as that involves glittery details of the glamorous lifestyle.

While on tour in 2003 I partied so hard and hauled so many Marshall stacks that I found myself in a hospital getting my butthole sliced open for hemmorhoid surgery. Ah! The glories of guitar that were not mentioned in the magazines I read as a teen!

Aside from that episode it's been no more than a minor nuisance ever since.

I turned 40 in august and decided it was time for change. I sold my guitar gear, bought a drum kit and started a new band. I LOVE PLAYING DRUMS. I practice about nine hours a day and it is coming along great. But oh my what a "pain in the butt" it has become.

I was assured (ass-ured?) that The Porkpie was the best and most comfortable drum throne I could get and, well, it really burns my bottom that I paid so much money for this torture device that feels like I'm sitting in the lap of my prison-boyfriend. To make matters worse a few days ago a new kind of pain started farther up in a secret place I won't even mention. It is a crippling agony that I've never felt before, and so I'm going to the doctor today. I don't want to hear this "you'll never play drums again" garbage because its the crowning joy of my midlife crisis and now that I've started drumming I'll NEVER stop.

So. Hi! Cool story huh?
Any thoughts from the peanut gallery about better drum thrones? Or any advice at all how to play drums without dying from complications? I would love to hear it.
:D

The harsh reality is that all drummers have back issues, they're in either early, intermediate, or advanced stages.

A lot of pro drummers (who've been playing all their lives) have horrible posture and its mainly from sitting at the drum set. Buddy Rich for example had terrible posture, the list of drummers beginner to pro with poor posture is looooooong.

All women/men 'are' created equal in respect to the design of their spines, we weren't designed to sit and play the drum set.

Traditional drum seating designs simply aren't happening, your spinal disks compress while sitting. This leads to loss of technique/balance and eventually discomfort/pain, its inevitable.

I found, bought and play on a CARMICHAEL throne top, the design does provide relief.

love my roc n soc. I have had back surgery and i do try to focus on posture. I did encounter some issues with my old seat similar to bicyclists experience. 9 hours a day is truly too much. If part of that is pad practice try standing. Sitting is one of the worst things for your spine no matter what you do or who you are.

Back