Throne Buttkicker/Transducer

Splat

I'm thinking of doing my own throne buttkicker/transducer setup to regain my kick during gigs. I'd love a Porter Davies setup but they don't sell just the electronics alone. I already have the shaker and few PP thrones to use.

My thinking:
>dynamic kick mic connected to a Rolls CL151 gate/limiter with built in preamp. Don't know if I'd need a x-over.
>The Rolls connected to a small but powerful enough amp (need ideas)
>The amp connected to Aurasound AST-2B-4 shaker (have 2 but will try 1) mounted to underside of Pork Pie seat

Has anyone done their own setup and what are you using, amps, mic or drum module and trigger, preamp, etc? Thanks.

Last edited:

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how much all of that will cost, but it may be less expensive and definitely easier to just buy a ButtKicker. I've been using the ButtKicker Concert models for almost 16 years and am very happy with them. There are less-robust models that they offer which will help keep your cost down. You will need a powerful amp, just so that the thump doesn't choke on you. Nothing worse than playing dynamically, and the thumper feels like it's compressing; the harder you hit, the quieter it seems to get.

You will also need to gate the signal, so that any bass drum resonance or low-end from the bass guitar don't just vibrate the thumper. That's very distracting when what you really want is just your kick.

Bermuda

Gerry The Great

So I saw a thread on this or another drum forum and did what this guy recommended and it worked out great! I built it for my 16 year old son who was playing with a regional country band and I didn't want monitors blowing his ear out! (I'm and ex indy car mechanic and my ears are fading lol)
I believe the parts where around $100 and I got them off amazon. I used existing drum throne screws and some wood screws to attach it to the throne and the little amp really works great! I would recommend trying it because it is so cheap and may be everything you need.
I just tried to download three pics of the stuff and it wouldn't allow me to cause files are too big. Not sure how to change them. There is some detailed info on this in one of the forums. Was real easy to build drum throne vibrator thingy, amp with a mike splitter that goes to the bass mike and power cord. We haven't used it much because the band didn't hire him cause he's too young. He did about seven shows with them though.