Three strokes on single pedal

letipix

Hello, I’m quite new to drums, I started playing about 6 months ago.
I’m having some troubles with a few rhythms I was given.
I was wondering if anyone could help me either posting a video or replying.

So I’m having troubles with the part where there are three kicks in a row. If I do that small part separately it’s okay but I don’t know why when I do the entire thing it just doesn’t come out, either I miss one kick or it just sounds awful… it’s like my coordination just doesn’t get there… xD any tips??

Attachments

• IMG_7164.jpeg
    IMG_7164.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 32
Hello, I’m quite new to drums, I started playing about 6 months ago.
I’m having some troubles with a few rhythms I was given.
I was wondering if anyone could help me either posting a video or replying.

So I’m having troubles with the part where there are three kicks in a row. If I do that small part separately it’s okay but I don’t know why when I do the entire thing it just doesn’t come out, either I miss one kick or it just sounds awful… it’s like my coordination just doesn’t get there… xD any tips??

That's a bit much for anyone that's been playing for 6 months, imo...

My general advice is to play it slow. Slow enough to get it. Maybe leave out the snare and just play the 8ths on the hi hat and the bass drum at first. Once you can play all three parts at a slow tempo, then speed it up a little, gradually increasing until you can play it at the speed you want.

"leave the fifth bass drum note "out" (and forget about it."
Also it seems that's in Half-Time ie. slow.
So whats the metronome marking

First off, welcome to the forum and congratz on your new quest. This is a great place. There should be many here that will offer their input and guidance.

I would break that in half. Play the first group of notes until it becomes relatively easy. Then I would play the second group of notes until you get that down pretty good. At that point, putting the two groups together shouldn't present much difficulty.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Last edited:
It works if the tempo is half-time
like "up On Cripple Creek" Levon Helm the Band half-time tempo
- would fit all those notes-

Last edited:
I am a firm believer in vocalizng rhythms that are challenging.

Either saying/repeating the numbers/notes... 1...2e.a3e..a4...
Or using simple sounds to do the same... Doh...Da-doo. doo-doo-doo. doo-Da...
Or say the drums... Kick...Snare-kick. kick-Kick-kick. kick-Snare...

Do any of those while tapping 8th notes your hi-hat, then play it while you say it.

As other have suggested, start at a slower, doable tempo and repeat. Don'r rush to increase the tempo. Speed is a byproduct of effciently effective movement. Good practice will develop that.

First off, welcome to the forum and congratz on your new quest. This is a great place. There should be many here that will offer their input and guidance.

I would break that in half. Play the first group of notes until it becomes relatively easy. Then I would play the second group of notes until you get that down pretty good. At that point, putting the two groups together shouldn't present much difficulty.

Slow and steady wins the race.
Thanks for the welcome c:
I can actually do the two “groups” separately but when I do it all together my foot kinda freezes… I’ve been trying all sort of tho by a but I just can’t make it 😭

Well on the page it says 60/200 bpm so I’ve started with 60 up to 75… and then after that I literally can’t move my foot idk why. If I go up to 95 tho I can make the 3 kicks but can’t coordinate the whole thing very well 😣 it’s weird

Well on the page it says 60/200 bpm so I’ve started with 60 up to 75… and then after that I literally can’t move my foot idk why. If I go up to 95 tho I can make the 3 kicks but can’t coordinate the whole thing very well 😣 it’s weird
Play it to the intro of this song.
"up On Cripple Creek" the Band

You can fit it in at this tempo: @letipix

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome c:
I can actually do the two “groups” separately but when I do it all together my foot kinda freezes… I’ve been trying all sort of tho by a but I just can’t make it 😭

I should preface all of my comments with the disclaimer that I'm not a teacher. I'm a student like you, I just have a bit more time spent learning how to learn this beautiful instrument.

When I run into something like that, I play it slow enough where I can get it and do very exaggerated movements. It feels/sounds/looks a little goofy, but that seems to help me come to terms with the required movements. Don't worry so much about time while doing this it's just an effort to get the muscle memory to kick in. Playing in time will be the next step.

I'm doing this right now with a paradiddle between the kick and the right hand while the left hand plays an ostinato (between the RK notes) on snare or hats. Sounds simple enough but it's kicking my butt; for now.

You could also break it down differently to target the rough spot. Play this for a while.
1693583029602.png

Last edited:

When I run into this I pick a comfortable speed and play, in time, as softly/quietly as I possibly can.

Like "YOU BETTER NOT WAKE UP THE BABY" quiet... but still with purpose and conviction.

Your mileage may vary, but this really helps me to learn to play relaxed through a difficult passage. I find that a lot of my screw ups are because I tense up trying to get through a tough spot.

200? that's just absurd, that groove won't sound good at that speed. Just go on and come back to it in a few days, it'll feel better. You can stick with it and try to play a few RHCP or RATM songs using the groove, to get used to it in a musical setting, but don't obsess over it, keep moving on.

And if you try to work it up to 200 bpm you will hit diminishing returns pretty soon, not worth it at all. (btw, it sounds pretty bad at that speed -> https://gscribe.com/share/kCxjgEYBwFUVf5iQ7)

I'm curious, what's the book?

I should preface all of my comments with the disclaimer that I'm not a teacher. I'm a student like you, I just have a bit more time spent learning how to learn this beautiful instrument.

When I run into something like that, I play it slow enough where I can get it and do very exaggerated movements. It feels/sounds/looks a little goofy, but that seems to help me come to terms with the required movements. Don't worry so much about time while doing this it's just an effort to get the muscle memory to kick in. Playing in time will be the next step.

I'm doing this right now with a paradiddle between the kick and the right hand while the left hand plays an ostinato (between the RK notes) on snare or hats. Sounds simple enough but it's kicking my butt; for now.

You could also break it down differently to target the rough spot. Play this for a while.
View attachment 138274
Yeahhh I literally have no problem doing this little part, but when I put all together y foot freezes…. I’m starting to think it’s mental, like I’m overthinking it so much I’m the one who doesn’t let it happen xD

200? that's just absurd, that groove won't sound good at that speed. Just go on and come back to it in a few days, it'll feel better. You can stick with it and try to play a few RHCP or RATM songs using the groove, to get used to it in a musical setting, but don't obsess over it, keep moving on.

And if you try to work it up to 200 bpm you will hit diminishing returns pretty soon, not worth it at all. (btw, it sounds pretty bad at that speed -> https://gscribe.com/share/kCxjgEYBwFUVf5iQ7)

I'm curious, what's the book?
Okay that’s a cool idea too.
And too late xD already obsessed enough with this… I might as well just leave it alone for a while.
It’s not from a book, my teacher gave me pages full of rhythms and now there’re getting a bit harder c:

jda is right. I know that pattern and ommiting the 5th BD note actually sounds better and funkier without it.
BUT...I understand the difficulty in 3 in a row. I never did it on a gig. Too unpredictable for me. Other guys did it all the time and I wondered how. Bonham did it real good in Good Times Bad Times.
Like all drumming.........practice and repetition starting slow. Good Luck....and most of the time......you will not be required to do the 3 in a row. Paying producers usually don't want or need a lot of notes......concentrate on feel and simplicity......It is actually harder than it sounds....KEEP AT IT.

Okay that’s a cool idea too.
And too late xD already obsessed enough with this… I might as well just leave it alone for a while.
It’s not from a book, my teacher gave me pages full of rhythms and now there’re getting a bit harder c:
If you leave it alone for a while I guarantee you'll forget about it. It's just not that useful at high speeds.

It's good training though, just don't overdo it, there's plenty more to learn

Pat Benetar's Heartbreaker has a useful 3 kicks in a row.

Back