Three or Four Hours

rhumbagirl

Rehearsal tonight was 4.5 hrs with about 1.5 hrs of eating dinner and small breaks mixed in. So that's 3 hours of playing time. Since I don't have a practice space, and I don't have to haul drums, I'm thinking that's not too bad of a deal.

roncadillac

Rehearsal tonight was 4.5 hrs with about 1.5 hrs of eating dinner and small breaks mixed in. So that's 3 hours of playing time. Since I don't have a practice space, and I don't have to haul drums, I'm thinking that's not too bad of a deal.

That's not too bad and certainly better then previous encounters you mentioned. I'm fine with the occasional 5'er, quick restroom break, 'step outside' for a minute, grab a drink, etc, but I personally would still not really be super into taking a full on dinner break mid practice. That's just me though, if that works for you and you are happy with the fact that they are able to shorten the total duration from the 7 or so hours it was then that's fine as well. Just remember what I said earlier, don't be afraid to talk to them about things that bug you and if they are not receptive then you've got your answer right there.

Last edited:

Frank

Gold Member
Life doesn't support a 7 hour rehearsal for me.

Ours typical is 3 hours. And frankly, as far as fun factor, 3 hours is it. After that, we are out of the fun zone and into the - work zone. :)

cbphoto

Gold Member
Wow @rhumbagirl , you’ve got patience! I hope these guys are a good hang. Then the bong breaks and snacking are much more fun (But I’d be worthless after one break).

I’m sub’ing in two bands. We are rehearsing at my place this week. I’ve got a rudimentary PA system for keys and vocals, and plenty of outlets and bottled water. Bassist and one vocalist travel 2 hours one-way to get to my place. Guitarist and other vocalist travel 45 minutes to get here. Keys & horns travel about 30 minutes. There’s an element of dedication in simply getting to rehearsal. Next week, I travel the 2 hours to rehearsal to give the others a break from the road.

Of the two bands, one has a 3-hour set (with about 3.5 hours of music in the set list). We’ve gotten together once (with about 5 more rehearsals before the first gig) and tried to “perform” through the first set. It took 1:15 hours to get through 50 minutes of music due to chatter and note-taking. We got about 3/4 through the second set and a singer had to leave for work. The entire rehearsal went for 3:30 hours and we didn’t get through everything. It was a bit rough, but everyone felt it was a good rehearsal.

Counting travel, bassist and vocalist spent almost eight hours dedicated to one rehearsal. They’re attitudes were positive and supportive. 😀 There were no bong breaks or snacking. 😭

In your case, I’d tell the bandmates that you’ve ”got to be somewhere” in 3 hours and give yourself a hard deadline to leave regardless of what’s been rehearsed. The inefficiency is not working in your best interest.

Caveat: I’m a band dad. I put my three spawn through middle- and high-school bands. I made them practice, I paid for their lessons, I drove their butts all around town and to Disney and Chicago and D.C. so they had better be rehearsed! I expect the same from me and my bandmates (but they don’t know this ’cuz I’m merely a sub and keep my opinions to myself unless asked).