Three or Four Hours

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Our rehearsals were 2-3 hours typically. It was usually business and not much nonsense.

On days we had to do business stuff and not play instruments, those could easily turn into whole day things.

roncadillac

I've actually been running into a similar issue with a band I informally filled in for last year and now was asked to join fulltime. We used to show up at 6pm, would be set up and playing by 630-7pm, and be done and packing up around 930pm. The guy who's house we practice at gets done working between 3-4pm everyday and likes to go to the gym after work. Lately he's been waiting to go to the gym until 6pm (even though he wasted 2-3 hours playing video games after work) causing us to not meet until 730pm. What's more frustrating is that he goes to the gym once a week and INSISTS on now only going to the gym on the night that we agreed upon the week before to meetup for practice and waiting until several hours after being done with work to do so.

Ugh, I forgot how much I hate being in a band lol

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Rehearsals are over-rated in my mind. I never really liked them because everybody would be learning their part during rehearsal instead of having it together already. If I'm going to drive an hour for rehearsal, I want the guys to have their parts DOWN.

3 hours is the limit for me.

The best band I was in, we never rehearsed. Not once. (I knew all the material from hanging around the scene) Anything new after that, we'd all learn the same version of a song individually and do it cold onstage. Nothing to it, really. With the music I play anyway. The worst bands I've been in rehearsed the most. So there's that.

Not every band can do it without rehearsal, given the complexity of some of the stuff played.

For me it's my preferred way, no rehearsal, just know my part.

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

The guy who's house we practice at gets done working between 3-4pm everyday and likes to go to the gym after work. Lately he's been waiting to go to the gym until 6pm (even though he wasted 2-3 hours playing video games after work) causing us to not meet until 730pm.
Is it possible he's thinking that a rehearsal that ends late in the night is helping prepare the band for late night gigs? Sorry, but that's the only explanation I can come up with.

As for why *my* band needs 7 hours, I'm thinking they're trying to get to know me to make sure I'm not a narc. A loyalty test maybe. Hey did I mention they don't mind feeding me. And yes, there's a grill involved.

Hanging in there until I can't anymore. I know. That's a recipe for disaster, but again - Life's too short.

roncadillac

Rehearsals are over-rated in my mind. I never really liked them because everybody would be learning their part during rehearsal instead of having it together already. If I'm going to drive an hour for rehearsal, I want the guys to have their parts DOWN.

The best band I was in, we never rehearsed. Not once. (I knew all the material from hanging around the scene) Anything new after that, we'd all learn the same version of a song and do it cold onstage. Nothing to it, really. With the music I play anyway. The worst bands I've been in rehearsed the most. So there's that.

Not every band can do it without rehearsal, given the complexity of some of the stuff played.

Well said. Rehearsal should be for hashing out new ideas/songs and/or tightening up before a gig or recording session. If a band has to get together weekly simply to know it's established material then it's individual members are not putting in enough personal time.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Eating and bonging are before or after a practice in my mind. I don’t mind some chit chat but I come to practice and play. So is this the band with “the lines “ comment- was that just a joke or is that a concern too. Don’t seem very serious and professional- and that’s coming from me lol. Two hours tops maybe tjree at most -it isn’t a marathon.

roncadillac

Is it possible he's thinking that a rehearsal that ends late in the night is helping prepare the band for late night gigs? Sorry, but that's the only explanation I can come up with.

As for why *my* band needs 7 hours, I'm thinking they're trying to get to know me to make sure I'm not a narc. A loyalty test maybe. Hey did I mention they don't mind feeding me. And yes, there's a grill involved.

Hanging in there until I can't anymore. I know. That's a recipe for disaster, but again - Life's too short.

Well he lives in the 'burbs so we can't go past 10pm latest anyway. We went from 6pm load in, 10pm load out down to 730pm load in, 10pm load out. I do have to haul my drums every time so we have been getting maybe 1 hour of actual practice a week. Their old established material I can and have learned on my own at home but since I joined we have started working on a bunch of new stuff so 1 hour a week for new material basically pointless.

Anyway, every situation is different. Evaluate the pros and cons of your situation and never be afraid to sit down and have an honest conversation. If they aren't receptive to talking like humans then you got your answer right there haha.

rhumbagirl

Well said. Rehearsal should be for hashing out new ideas/songs and/or tightening up before a gig or recording session. If a band has to get together weekly simply to know it's established material then it's individual members are not putting in enough personal time.
In 5 rehearsals we've put together two sets of material, so there's that to consider. What's unknown is whether the guys can recall material during a gig and how well they perform in that situation. I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I don't think they can sight read music, so there's that. I spend some time during the breaks to chart songs so it's not a complete waste of time for me.

rhumbagirl

I do have to haul my drums every time so we have been getting maybe 1 hour of actual practice a week.
Wow, I haven't had to do that in about 3-4 yrs. That would probably be a show stopper for me. I have enough drumsets to keep one everywhere - rehearsal, truck bed, practice space - but even that becomes a hassle.

roncadillac

Wow, I haven't had to do that in about 3-4 yrs. That would probably be a show stopper for me. I have enough drumsets to keep one everywhere - rehearsal, truck bed, practice space - but even that becomes a hassle.

I've had to move my drums for every gig and every rehearsal for my entire time playing, it sucks but I'm used to it (maybe that's why I typically play a 2pc with just ride and hats lol). Ive had residence where I can play my drums full volume, like my house now, but I can't accommodate a band so I've got to just haul them every time.

danondrums

Not sure about your market of available bands, but in reading this thread, and some others regarding these guys it may not be what you're looking for.
I know personally I'd not opt for committing 6-8 hours of my day for a rehearsal... And then those other things thrown on top would make me feel like it's lacking some level of professionalism which I tend to appreciate.

blinky

2 hours at the most. I prefer if everyone have their thing together before rehearsal but unfortunately it's not always the case. I try to, but since some don't care I wing it sometimes too.

calan

Silver Member
EDIT: We're getting together 3-4 times a week. Our off day was yesterday.
3-4 times a week and about 7 hours per session? This sounds like an actual job.

What are these gigs paying? Are these paid rehearsals? Are these also ad hoc writing and jam sessions? Is there a song list? Honestly this is just staggeringly beyond the pale and I can't wrap my head around it.

I could understand if you needed to get your show tight at a rented sound stage before your touring act loads up the semis and hits the road, but for the average local act?

The best band I was in, we never rehearsed. Not once. (I knew all the material from hanging around the scene) Anything new after that, we'd all learn the same version of a song individually and do it cold onstage. Nothing to it, really. With the music I play anyway. The worst bands I've been in rehearsed the most. So there's that.

I think I understand the kind of situation Larry is working in, and when I was doing blues based material and subbing, it was pretty much the same thing. I go in blind, band leader says something like "shuffle, key of C, watch me for the stops" and away we go.

If you have a more standard cover band situation, you may need a few rehearsals to get your sets down or knock out the cobwebs, but gigging should keep you tight and sharp. Even then, I'd tend to agree that most of the work is done individually, and the players should be competent enough to do it cold on stage.

Original acts are a whole other thing, and highly variable depending on how involved you are in the writing.

ottog1979

The first two rehearsals had the other drummer, a 300 lb guy with a 250 lb build of solid muscle, trying to correct my *crooked* wrist during some push pull hihat work.
THAT would be it for me. Unless there's just an absolutely AMAZING reason to be in this band, they either like what I'm delivering or they can find another drummer as I'm in the wrong place. I take drum lessons at my choice with my chosen teacher on my own time. Not at rehearsal. That kind of crap distracts from the main purpose of rehearsal - jelling with the other musicians, getting into the zone and creatively making the music as good as it can be. Technique stuff, especially unwanted, is contrary to that.

s1212z

So is this the band with “the lines “ comment-
Maybe they need it to move a little faster, could get a rehearsal in under an hour.

Unless you are playing with Herbie Hancock or sometime, I wouldn't not have this patience...just my personal take though.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Is this the same group of people you talked about in the thread that got locked?

I think you may need to be more selective.

drumnut87

i do rehearsals which can last from 1 hour to 3 hours, anything longer and you get fatigued.

if any band im in want bong breaks, or go to the carry-out for beer or anything like that, i make it clear that i dont hang around. i dont mind a 15-30 min break if we're doing a 3 hour rehearsal, but making it longer than that for basically f*****g around is NOT what im there for.

Juniper

Gold Member
7 hours is daft, especially if they want to combine rehearsals with some…err smoking, then inviting friends over.

The band is at a rehearsal to work on the music, not party.

3 hours is good, I prefer 4 hours so it’s less rushed and you can spend some time on short breaks talking about band directions/plans..etc but it depends on the amount of songs you have to work through I guess.

From what you’ve said on here?

Personally, I’d drop this band ASAP. I’ve no time for this type of thing now, been there done that, even got involved with some daft things many years ago and nothing good ever came of it.

If you’re feeling apprehensive now imagine how it’ll feel a few months down the line.