Three or Four Hours

rhumbagirl

So what's the typical band rehearsal going for these days? I'm not talking about pay to play, but rather time duration. The band I joined is a 3-person blues/rock band. They do a bong break and cook food, invite friends, and the whole ordeal is lasting 7 hrs. Is it reasonable for me to ask for a 3-4 hr window? That gets me back home to keep my aging mother from worrying about me excessively. It's not good for her mental health.

EDIT: I don't have to haul drums, so don't factor that in please.

harryconway

Platinum Member
7 hours is absurd, flat out.
Agreed. These guys think they're back in the 60's living in Haight-Ashbury and wow man, this ain't a rehearsal, it's a happinning, man.
Rehearsal is only about 3 hours.
Yup. People wanna eat ..... eat before rehearsal. People wanna party ...... party after rehearsal.

dmacc_2

Ours is never longer than 2.5 hours.

People should come prepared and on-time. The rehearsal element is for putting it all together and working out bugs.

In my opinion anything longer than 3 hours is not very productive anyways. 7 hours would never, ever be tolerated.. especially the bong break.... Not on my time.

Bozozoid

Varies..starting a band..3 hours give or take. Once you've got your 40 tunes or so it's 90 minutes or less but I'm usually involved with people that talk and talk. I usually skate when everything is fairly solid.

J-W

This doesn't sound like a fit for you from the little that I've read. (including the thread that got shut down because of lines, assuming it's the same band)
It sounds like they want every rehearsal to just be a party. Are they working toward doing actual shows or are they just wanting to do this for fun? It sounds like the latter, to me.
As long as everyone is on the same page, with the same goals, then it can be fun to do this, but if you want to get serious about it then move on......they're likely not going anywhere.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'm with Lefty2, that not a rehearsal, that's a lifestyle.

I could handle something like the 7 hour food, friends, and activities plan once or twice a year, but that isn't a rehearsal, that's a party.

The last band I was in rehearsed for 2/2.5 hours about once a week. There was also a pretty strict no friends allowed rule.

rhumbagirl

The covid variant is becoming a problem.
Agree. Viral load is an important factor. Even if one is vaxed with good health and solid immune system, if the viral exposure - aka time window - is great enough, it could put you at increased risk. And who knows where the edge is for the new more dangerous Delta variant.

Wow it's refreshing not to hit the 240 character limit of Twitter just now. But I'm just too used to breaking thought processes up to mess with it.

EDIT: We're getting together 3-4 times a week. Our off day was yesterday. My throat soreness somehow disappeared this morning. It's probably a good thing everyone in the band/party is against masking. We're all willing to get each other sick it seems. But I'm vaxed.

rhumbagirl

I'm probably going to put up with what I can put up with. I don't have to haul drums. I don't have a practice space. I don't have cash flow and I don't want to work a normal job if I can gig and get paid. Life is too short.

rhumbagirl

They also have another band that's using the rehearsal space and they want me to *substitute* for the other drummer. That other drummer is contributing cymbals and a kick pedal. I should refuse on the basis of unneeded tension. Combining the two bands is more people to pay, more complications.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
So what's the typical band rehearsal going for these days? I'm not talking about pay to play, but rather time duration. The band I joined is a 3-person blues/rock band. They do a bong break and cook food, invite friends, and the whole ordeal is lasting 7 hrs. Is it reasonable for me to ask for a 3-4 hr window? That gets me back home to keep my aging mother from worrying about me excessively. It's not good for her mental health.

EDIT: I don't have to haul drums, so don't factor that in please.

We "rehearse" 2 hours a week together. When we get together we are rehearsing. Practice is done at home individually learning songs in the sets.

Sounds like your get-togethers have a social aspect to them. Everybody hanging out and partying. Don't underestimate the element of just having fun.

Al Strange

I used to do 8 hour rehearsals with a band when I was in my 20’s and we’d have a break of 30-40 minutes for lunch. It was the real deal. We didn’t do stimulants or partying and we were all perfectionists who loved what we were doing and creating. That’s in complete contrast to your situation; a situation I couldn’t tolerate to be honest. The important thing is that you do what feels right for you. (y) :)

ottog1979

Nothing over 3 hours for me. 2-3 is typical. Additionally, anyone other than band members at rehearsal is a non-starter and a waste of time unless it's very rare and they sit quietly like flies on the wall.

rhumbagirl

Don't underestimate the element of just having fun.
I'm definitely taking that into consideration. I'm making connections with more serious musicians in the area during the local jams. So there's that kind of exposure.

But the guys in the band are super fun to be around. Down to earth and they accept me for who I am. I still share my GPS location with my sister just in case I end up on the kitchen counter.

rhumbagirl

Nothing over 3 hours for me. 2-3 is typical. Additionally, anyone other than band members at rehearsal is a non-starter and a waste of time unless it's very rare and they sit quietly like flies on the wall.
They've violated that already but the guest list has been getting smaller each rehearsal.

The first two rehearsals had the other drummer, a 300 lb guy with a 250 lb build of solid muscle, trying to correct my *crooked* wrist during some push pull hihat work. Oh brother. I dealt with him by promising to work on it in my spare time.

roncadillac

2-3 hours has been the consistent average for most of my almost 20 years playing in bands. When I was a kid first starting out 'rehearsal' was a blend of playing music and kids being kids hanging out with friends. We quickly realized we would waste time so we designated 'hangout days' and separate 'practice days'. I personally hate going to a practice where 2/3 of the band are just goofing off the whole time.

If the band invites me over for a cookout, party, etc and a friendly offer to jam for fun comes up while I'm there... Sure, that's cool. Let's have fun! But do not invite me over for what is labeled as a proper rehearsal and turn it into a party.

"Hey, I'm going to go fire up the grill!"
Cool, I'm going to go fire up my engine and drive back home.

Last edited: