Thread thread

Yamaha Rider

Thought I'd treat my worthless rusty Hohner tin snare (vintage unknown) to some sparkly new tension rods now I've given it a paint job.
Problem is, they're the same diameter as the originals - 5.5mm with the vernier gauge - but different thread pitch.
I can spin a std. metric nut on the new ones, but not the originals.
So what thread are the originals? UNF? BSF? Whitworth? Taiwanese Happy Bolt Specials?

C.M. Jones

Your cryptic title drew me in. With regard to your question, I can candidly say I've no idea. Renovating drums has never been my vocation. I'm a much better player than I am a carpenter/mechanic. I'm sure a nuts-and-bolts authority will race to the rescue soon.

Pleased to be of no assistance at all.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
You can get imperial (standard) threads, metric threads and fine-pitch threads. Old threads should be easy to find.

Scroll down this page to find a couple of thread dimiensions:

Yamaha Rider

You can get imperial (standard) threads, metric threads and fine-pitch threads. Old threads should be easy to find.

Scroll down this page to find a couple of thread dimiensions:
[/QUOTE
Good work, Morris Man. Thanks (y)

Woolwich

Silver Member
Alternatively keep your rods and buy new swivel nut inserts to go into the lugs. The swivel nuts are the small "tubes" that sit inside of the lug that you screw your tension rod into and will more than likely be whatever the "standard" size is.