Thoughts on the Zildjian K Light 22" ride ?

renvst

Hi guys !

I'm currently playing a K20" ride but would like to try something a bit more bright and light. I'm hesitating whether to go for the 22" light ride or not...

I would be playing that ride in both Jazz and Alternative Rock context so i need a good stick definition and a nice wash from a crashable ride. I'm afraid to lose a bit of stick articulation on this one.

Have you ever played one ? How does it compare to my K20" ? Would it fit my needs ?

(I've got 15" K Light hats that i'm in love with, so it comforts me in the idea of getting the K Light Ride!)

Thanks !

KamaK

Platinum Member
I have the 24" K Light.

I imagine it will be perfectly fine for jazz. It gets a bit buried under two screaming guitars but is otherwise serviceable for rock. While it has a functional bell, it lacks the oomph that some of the heavier genres might demand.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
The leading Jazz drummer in Malaysia bought one from me after having tested dozens of rides.
In a non amplified situation, it’s wash simmers underneath and fills the room nicely and discretely with a wonderful sound.

KamaK

Platinum Member
In a non amplified situation, it’s wash simmers underneath and fills the room nicely and discretely with a wonderful sound.
How is the bell on the 22"? Is it a capital-B "Bell", of is it more of a finely curved "belle" with sonic subtleties.

Ang

I really like mine, it’s warm and shimmering with a distinct stick sound, but the bell is weak. If I need a driving bell sound I would go with my A Sweet Ride.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Maybe consider also the K Sweet Ride 21, which is a lighter, more crashable version of the K Ride but still has a very good bell.

OSDrums

I chose the 22“ K Light over the 20“ K, but this was also related to the pitch of the 20“ which didn’t fit my existing cymbals.
The sound is quite articulated as long as you not overpower the cymbal. Although it’s only around 2500 g mine does not crash easy, the crash sound itself is decent. I especially dig the bell because it has really nice pure tone as opposite to the complex sound of other rides. The sustain of the bell is long and I‘d call it a „sweet“ sound.
If you want some real-life samples of my cymbal:

And here in a musical context: