Thoughts on the S-hoop drum hoop?

Boom

Silver Member
I'm considering getting S hoops for the batter side of my drums (snare, 8, 10 and 12 rack toms) and was wondering what the opinions of those that own/use them are? Do they make enough of a difference to also use on toms? If I had die cast, would you change to the S hoops for any reason? If I had 2.3mm hoops, would you change to S hoops for any reason?

Any other thoughts? Thanks

S

sticks4drums

Te me they make the drum head seem too small. Not a fan.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Appearance preferences aside, S hoops offer increased rigidity above most triple flange designs, whilst keeping the mass low. That means you get close to the tuning accuracy of cast hoops, but without drying out the timbre. They're also excellent at reducing stick wear for constant rimshot players. I certainly think they have their place. I've currently got them fitted to a lovely steam bent birdseye maple snare drum. That drum sounds better with S hoops than either triple flange or cast hoops, & I'm a big fan of cast hoops on snare drums. It gives a middle ground option, & at significantly less money than the nearest alternative option to triple flange, aluminium cast hoops.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
S-HOOPS cover a lot ground as to their worth. They protect the bearing edge of the drum(s) hence their name SAFETY HOOPS. All it takes in one errant strike and you can have a dented bearing edge. It's happened to me, weather or not it was me, or someone who sat in on my kit, can't be sure, but with S HOOPS its not happening again.

Besides looking cool as hell, they add a lot of chrome to the set. S HOOPS are more rigid than stamped and IMO more rigid/strong than die cast. Dies cast is not that strong, they will flex sectionally under tuning pressure. Turn your snare on its side, tune it and you can see die cast flex in that section when the tension starts to get serious. The extra flange incorporated in S HOOPS adds strength.

S HOOPS don't choke the sound like die cast, tho they aren't as open sounding as stamped, they're between both in sound. I do get a sharper cross stick with die cast and rim shots are not as easily centered on S HOOPS as die cast, especially if using thin(er) sticks (7A).

Since sound is so subjective, its going to be hit-miss with S HOOPS, who knows what sound you like. Im happy with them and I rest assured my bearing edges are protected.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I've got them for both of my snare drums and I really like them. I stopped using them on the snare sides, though, because as you crank the head down, the inner lip starts getting dangerously close to the head surface. But they're great for the batter side. Like KIS said, they're a middle ground between diecast and triple flange. They're also easier on the hands, wrists, and sticks. Now when I play standard triple flanges on a snare, it feels like the hoop is higher so I'm digging in at a sharper angle, which I don't like as much.

I think it would be cool to put them on the batters of my toms, too. I think Gavin Harrison uses them on his toms...

Boom

Silver Member
Thanks for the info everyone. This forum is awesome. 4 posts and I got just about everything covered (what a ton of info you guys have/gave).
Saves on wrists, hands and sticks. Great.
Saves bearing edges. Great.
Middle ground between triple flanged and die cast. Great.
Plus I think the logic of how rigid it is yet with less mass...well, I can't wait to see how that stuff sounds.

And Gavin Harrison may even use them on his toms...GREAT! :)

Thanks a ton, everyone.

Soupy

Silver Member
I got a set for my Acrolite. Ended up not liking the S-hoops on the snare side; the Acrolite has a really wide, deep snare bed, and the S-hoop was almost too rigid to conform to the shape of the drum. I had the lugs near the snare beds cranked hard, and barely any tension in the middle t rods, and wasn't happy with how it was tuning. Shouldnt be an issue for a more normal drum, though. I am happy with it on the batter, it does seem to tune more cleanly and evenly than the old 1.6mm hoop. Don't know how much different they are than quality 2.3mm hoops.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I tried the S hoops on a few snares at a drum shop a while back.
I wasn't overly impressed with them. I spent a rainy afternoon in the snare room and I switched between S Hoops, 2.3mm flanged, and Cast on the same two snare drums. One was 9 ply maple and the other was a COB.
I didn't really understand the S hoop I guess. I didn't dislike the S Hoops. I just couldn't see the need for them that would make me buy them.
I am happy to switch between flanged and cast hoops on my snare drums when I want to mix things up a bit.
If I bought a drum that came with S Hoops I wouldn't have a problem keeping them.

S

sticks4drums

Thanks for the info everyone. This forum is awesome. 4 posts and I got just about everything covered (what a ton of info you guys have/gave).
Saves on wrists, hands and sticks. Great.
Saves bearing edges. Great.
Middle ground between triple flanged and die cast. Great.
Plus I think the logic of how rigid it is yet with less mass...well, I can't wait to see how that stuff sounds.

And Gavin Harrison may even use them on his toms...GREAT! :)

Thanks a ton, everyone.
Well if you like them that much you should go out and buy a Mapex Black Panther kit. The whole kit comes with Sonic Savor hoops. Their version of the s-hoop.

Boom

Silver Member
Well if you like them that much you should go out and buy a Mapex Black Panther kit. The whole kit comes with Sonic Savor hoops. Their version of the s-hoop.
You'll be happy to know that I actually did notice this earlier today...as I started looking into the Mapex lines. Of course, you should get a little kick back if I ever go that route, as it is your positive posts that got me looking.

Anyway, thanks to the others for your feedback also. Yeah, I wasn't considering using them on reso/snare sides of the drums anyway.

I called my local GC and got a quote on them. They are very inexpensive so I can give them a try and see what I think from there. And, Mike, I love Gavin Harrison's sound (and obviously his playing) so it is cool to hear that he uses them...for whatever that is worth :)

double_G

Silver Member
i have them on my Keller vintage shell jazz kit. they are a nice blend between die cast & (good) triple flange but more. i guess more sustain or that sweet tone. i love them now, but there was a transition period:

1. my toms seem smaller ! now i don't notice. seems to make rim shots on toms, snare that much easier.

2. snare rim clicks seem "clacky / glassy" not "click / chocky" ! eventually i found the sweet spot. after a life time of die cast & triple flange hoops, it took awhile to adjust. rim shots are INSANE on any good snare drum. rim clicks are loud, woody & less muted. if there were a wood-version of s-hoops, i would be all over them !

overall, the s-hoops seem to make the drums sing more & open up a certain part of each drums waveform. if you play even 50% latin tunes, it is a complete no-brainer. insane cascara tone on floor toms, beautiful ringy rim tones from the toms / snare, etc.

was just the right piece i wanted as i continue to build this vintage / modern beast w/ Bosphorus cymbals.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Isn't asking for gear advice on a drum forum a useless endeavour anyway? Apparently it is.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Oh Lord, don't you two start up with this nonsense again. Just ignore him Stix.

I have an S-hoop on my 14x10 snare. I actually prefer it to a diecast because it doesn't choke the snare ..although that snare doesn't have a problem with resonance. I work a good bit of cross-sticking and rimshots in to my playing so I really like the extra bit of steel. Also they have a nice tone if you like to play on the rims, sort of like the intro to La Grange. Diecasts just don't have that same clickety-clack to them.

Also got one for my Girlfriend's dad for his Supraphonic. I haven't played his snare with the new hoop but he's very happy with it. He plays a good bit of rimshots too.

Also they're a helluva lot cheaper than die casts.

uniin

Gold Member
S HOOPS don't choke the sound like die cast,
how exactly do die cast hoops choke a drum...?

i've sat my starclassics next to a mapex saturn - starclassic has die cast, saturn has 2.3 triple flanged.... both resonante amazingly, neither of them sound choked at all.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
how exactly do die cast hoops choke a drum...?

i've sat my starclassics next to a mapex saturn - starclassic has die cast, saturn has 2.3 triple flanged.... both resonante amazingly, neither of them sound choked at all.
I saw that post too and I decided to let it go by.

I have heard people make that statement before. I think that Bob Gatzen even says it in one of his vids.
Cast hoops make a drum sound different than flanged hoops but they don't choke a drum.
I own kits with both hoops and I like both types of hoops.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Isn't asking for gear advice on a drum forum a useless endeavour anyway?
No, it's answering gear advice questions without knowledge or experience with said gear, then steering the person toward something else entirely. To paraphrase: I don't like the way S Hoops look, go buy a new Mapex drumkit.

That's what's useless.

Boom

Silver Member
No, it's answering gear advice questions without knowledge or experience with said gear, then steering the person toward something else entirely. To paraphrase: I don't like the way S Hoops look, go buy a new Mapex drumkit.

That's what's useless.
Hilarious, Mike.

I inquired with my local GC and those S hoops are cheap...14-15 dollars for 14 in hoop. That seems crazy cheap to me. So I'm going to be ordering them shortly for the batters on many of my drums. When my new kit gets in at the end of the year I'll try them on those drums too...so, it will be a few months for my feedback on them.

thanks again for all of the posts. Great info. Especially how the S hoops don't look good except for on Mapex drums :) (j/k Sticks)

MikeM

Platinum Member
For what it's worth, I do like the new Mapex hoops. I don't know that I'd buy a new Mapex to get them, though, and I don't know if you can get the hoops without the drums. Yamaha makes aluminum die cast hoops, which are really cool, but they don't sell them separately.