Thoughts on setup (8" tom in particular).

doggyd69b

This or you can definitely do descending with all toms in order including the 8 which may not get as much action as the larger ones, but as some pretty familiar drummers have demonstrated the more the merrier.
If you have it why not use it? Variety is the spice of life and unless there are space limitations it’ll give you something else to hit with a different tone and feel than the same old (yawn) 2 up one down setup. Expand your mind and you won’t ever go back to
normal. Change it around from time to time. Don’t get caught in a rut. Experiment. And most importantly don’t listen to what others tell you, especially a bunch of strangers online :unsure::).
I found that for me the more toms the easier things get for me to play, but I think my limit is 5 toms and cymbals have no limit.... but I guess I'll stay between 11 and 15. of course that is not a convenient setup to take to a gig but for me it works and it sounds great. I do use the 8 tom a lot in fact I feel that the floor tom gets less used in my particular case, I guess I'll try to play music that forces me to use more of everything which it doesn't have to be on a single song but if in an assortment of tracks I get to use most of my kit then I am doing fine. Others might argue that a good drummer doesn't need all that, but I hate small kits, yes, I can play all the same tracks on a 3 piece that I can play now on my 7 piece but I just hate the lack of variety that a small kit has. The best use of an 8 tom is to be incorporated into the music IMO.

Kuromaku

I recently changed things up from 1up/1down to 8/10/12/14 and it's been the biggest boost to my playing in years. I am so inspired to play that I'll even try to squeeze in 5-10 minutes between meetings while working at home. I feel like I'm back in high school or college. Imagine having that kind of energy for playing with the benefit of all the years of practice and performance since...

Here are some pics of my new setup. Since these pics, I've added a stack in front of the 8 and 10 and I have a side snare coming by the end of the month. What's made all the difference to me in terms of playability is that I've made everything millimeter close and have kept the toms and cymbals lower and flatter than I had them previously.

Front.jpgTop.jpg

SomeBadDrummer

I recently changed things up from 1up/1down to 8/10/12/14 and it's been the biggest boost to my playing in years. I am so inspired to play that I'll even try to squeeze in 5-10 minutes between meetings while working at home. I feel like I'm back in high school or college. Imagine having that kind of energy for playing with the benefit of all the years of practice and performance since...

Here are some pics of my new setup. Since these pics, I've added a stack in front of the 8 and 10 and I have a side snare coming by the end of the month. What's made all the difference to me in terms of playability is that I've made everything millimeter close and have kept the toms and cymbals lower and flatter than I had them previously.

View attachment 100987View attachment 100988
Now this is a fabulous setup!

SomeBadDrummer

I haven’t owned an 8 in over 15 years but damn I loved that little fella, sounds awesome amongst the melee of double kick fills and Copelandesque flourishes...that’s it, I’m buying one for my Pearl Export set up!!! :D (y)
YES!!!

SomeBadDrummer

I found that for me the more toms the easier things get for me to play, but I think my limit is 5 toms and cymbals have no limit.... but I guess I'll stay between 11 and 15. of course that is not a convenient setup to take to a gig but for me it works and it sounds great. I do use the 8 tom a lot in fact I feel that the floor tom gets less used in my particular case, I guess I'll try to play music that forces me to use more of everything which it doesn't have to be on a single song but if in an assortment of tracks I get to use most of my kit then I am doing fine. Others might argue that a good drummer doesn't need all that, but I hate small kits, yes, I can play all the same tracks on a 3 piece that I can play now on my 7 piece but I just hate the lack of variety that a small kit has. The best use of an 8 tom is to be incorporated into the music IMO.
This is exactly what I feel, couldn’t have said it better!

Quai34

View attachment 100987View attachment 100988
Exact same set up, but 10, 12, 13... Ok, maybe too much cymbals!!! Maybe an 8" on the left side of the second snare... As you said, I 've been working like crazy to save all the mm needed to put all the Cymbals..
IMG_20210104_012447_copy_2016x1134.jpg
20200626_124344_copy_2304x1296.jpg