Thoughts on Sennheiser e604 & e602 drum mics?

P

Peedy

I play in a room that seats about 120 at our church so up until now we haven't needed to mic the drums. Doing Zoom Church with a singalong music video or two that we pre-record has changed that big time. Vocal mics on the drum kit have been a disaster. Time to get some mics for the drum.

What do you think about the Sennheiser e604 tom and snare mics, as well as the e602 bass drum mics? I'm assuming they'll pick up the cymbals as well. I can pick up three of the e604s and an e602 plus 4 cables and stand for about 550 USD on Amazon. Other options at a similar price level?

(stupid question coming up) Can these things be used for vocals in a pinch?

Pete

Sennheiser.jpg

I had an e602. It sounded acceptable. It died after a year of use.

I've broken plenty of mics, dropping them, kicking them, tripping over cables, switches wearing out...

This was the first mic I've owned that died entirely of it's own volition. Working one day, not working the next. Autopsy revealed an open circuit when measuring from both sides of the coil, so there was a break in the coil wire somewhere.

I like the e602 and have an e902, Sennheiser often comes up on good reverb deals (Alto Music I think) on open box stuff. Not a huge fan of the 604, I think there are better deals and that better tom mics have come out for less money. KAM, CAD, and AT ATM230 (this one especially had great reviews and is not made of plastic) are a great place to look. I'd also not hesitate to use an MXL A55 Kicker on kick if you don't want to pay $200 for a mic or wait for a sale.

I've used the 604's on my toms for many years now. Unlike KamaK's experience, mine have been very durable and reliable. I've got stick marks on them where "guests" have struck them while sitting in, and still no problems. I like them.

I've never owned the 602, but worked with a drummer who did, and he got a great sound with it.

good mics, they do the job. i wouldnt use either as a vocal mic as they wont be suited for the application.

if you want some good mics, look into the lewitt DTP340REX and DTP340TT mics, amazing mics for not a lot of money, and can certainly hold their own against the big players, or even surpassing most of them! :)

I've been using the Sennheiser e604 for my snare and the Sennheiser 902 for my my bass drum for a couple of years now with no problems.

I play in a room that seats about 120 at our church so up until now we haven't needed to mic the drums. Doing Zoom Church with a singalong music video or two that we pre-record has changed that big time. Vocal mics on the drum kit have been a disaster. Time to get some mics for the drum.

What do you think about the Sennheiser e604 tom and snare mics, as well as the e602 bass drum mics? I'm assuming they'll pick up the cymbals as well. I can pick up three of the e604s and an e602 plus 4 cables and stand for about 550 USD on Amazon. Other options at a similar price level?

(stupid question coming up) Can these things be used for vocals in a pinch?

Pete

View attachment 92465
Have you checked out the Yamaha EAD10? It could suit your purpose nicely.

Hey Pete, here's another option you might consider. Use a Sennheiser e901 Boundary Mic in your bass drum. It's as simple as laying it in the middle of your bass drum on a towel (or pillow) pointed at the batter head. It can also be mounted internally on a Kelly Shu Flatz mount. The e901 produces a good mixture of tone and attack. Then start with either one or two overheads (or one overhead and one mic in front and slightly above the toms) and see how things sound in the mix. You could decide whether to add a snare mic, tom mics and hi hat mic as needed. My two cents.

Hey Pete, here's another option you might consider. Use a Sennheiser e901 Boundary Mic in your bass drum. It's as simple as laying it in the middle of your bass drum on a towel (or pillow) pointed at the batter head. It can also be mounted internally on a Kelly Shu Flatz mount. The e901 produces a good mixture of tone and attack. Then start with either one or two overheads (or one overhead and one mic in front and slightly above the toms) and see how things sound in the mix. You could decide whether to add a snare mic, tom mics and hi hat mic as needed. My two cents.

That intrigues me. We’ll almost certainly go Sennheiser as most of our church’s gear is the same brand (and we’ve gotten good service with them). I’ll check the e901 out, thanks.

Pete

I am using 604 for several years now, without any issues. Excellent mics. I don‘t like the sound of their 602 or 902. The 901 is an excellent BD mic.

Back