Thoughts on Sabian Paragon hi-hats?

Local Oaf

Have any of you played on Sabian Paragon 14" hi-hats?

I've been playing with your standard Zildjian 14" A Customs lately, whose brightness I have grown to like after initially finding them pretty bland. I have tried recently some Paragon hi-hats of the same size. I have a chance to get a really good deal on the Paragons, but it's ultimately not a huge rush. I like them a lot and I think I would likely grow into loving them as I play on them more, but I'd like to hear your thoughts, especially if you happen to who have played on both A Customs and Paragons. My only worry is the Paragons are thicker and I don't really want a super dead or especially gong-y sound from my hats. I play a lot of hardcore, hip-hop, rocksteady, slowcore, punk, etc. for reference.

Thanks!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've been using 14" Paragon hats on tour since 2013, and am very happy with them. I would say they have a an upper-mid-range focus, and therefore seem to 'cut' better, but they're not dead or clang-y, just a bit more aggressive than A Customs.

IMO, Paragons compare to A Customs, as A Customs compare to New Beats. :)

Bermuda

Local Oaf

Thank you so much! I'm not a smart man, so I'm gonna clarify with you. Your New Beats analogy means the Paragons are a step up in quality or in aggressiveness? Thank you again.

iCe

Probably because the Paragons were based on the hats Neil used to use when he was with Zildjian; 13" New Beats were his main hats for years

I've been using 14" Paragon hats on tour since 2013, and am very happy with them. I would say they have a an upper-mid-range focus, and therefore seem to 'cut' better, but they're not dead or clang-y, just a bit more aggressive than A Customs.

Bermuda
This.

I own 14" Paragons and this sums it up pretty nicely. Paragons are actually pretty affordable as well.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so much! I'm not a smart man, so I'm gonna clarify with you. Your New Beats analogy means the Paragons are a step up in quality or in aggressiveness? Thank you again.
I meant that sound and feel-wise, I think the A Customs are right in-between Paragons and New Beats. So if you want a slightly more aggressive - maybe a better word is assertive - sound and feel than the A Customs, I think you'll find that in the Paragons.

Local Oaf

I meant that sound and feel-wise, I think the A Customs are right in-between Paragons and New Beats. So if you want a slightly more aggressive - maybe a better word is assertive - sound and feel than the A Customs, I think you'll find that in the Paragons.
Cool. Thank you for the clarification! I picked up the Paragons. Got 'em for $100, which was pretty damn good from my research. I like them quite a bit. I often love to mix and match with hi-hats to get interesting sounds. So what I'm going to do is give my A Customs to my sister (who is just starting to play the drums) and keep the Paragons. But I also have an A Custom Mastersound bottom hat that I mix in from time to time. I tried it out with the Paragons and it sounds sweet as well. Leaves me with some options if I want a slightly brighter sound from time to time.