Thoughts on playing with a light touch

I concur- the music style and the room (which should be a match anyway, if whoever booked the show did his/her job correctly) dictate this. A drum, especially a snare drum, hit quietly and then turned up to the necessary volume in the PA, will not have the same tone as a snare drum hit appropriately for the style in the first place. If you're playing a Pearl Jam song, you're gonna have to hit it harder than you would in an Ambrosia song, or it won't sound right, even if the volume is where it's needed/wanted. (I'd hope that no one who wants a quiet band chooses one that covers Pearl Jam & similar, unless they're doing lounge versions.)

I sometimes practice playing very loud songs as softly as I can, like I’m playing jazz at a restaurant. Never heard a restaurant band play Bled For Days by Static X, but just the same, I can do it if needed. I figure at my age, I probably won’t get asked to do gigs where I’m slamming. But I still like to slam when appropriate. There’s a point that results in diminishing returns, but I’m one of those who believes it makes a positive difference in music that requires slamming.

When I first started playing drums I was definitely a heavy hitter but as time went on I seemed to have more control and always trying to be aware that I am relaxed when am playing. By Nature I am a high energy person but I have noticed that Heavy Hitters are not smooth hitters well at least for myself. I'm not going to say every now and then that I don't heavy hit but I like the idea of having a more lighter touch!

When I first started playing drums I was definitely a heavy hitter but as time went on I seemed to have more control and always trying to be aware that I am relaxed when am playing. By Nature I am a high energy person but I have noticed that Heavy Hitters are not smooth hitters well at least for myself. I'm not going to say every now and then that I don't heavy hit but I like the idea of having a more lighter touch!

you will also fibd that you can create volume without aggression. I am that guy. I can get a pretty loud sound with little to no tension in my playing b/c of technique, leanring how the sticks interact with the rebound of the head to get a good sound. I always got made fun of by my metal and punk freinds b/c I never broke equipment.

"Dude, you don't play hard enough"....and then I would cave in their souls with a well played, LOUD rimshot with very little movement other than my wrist

I try to play for the room. I play the same songs tippy-tap with rods and full on loud at outdoor concerts with X55Bs. Like Jay said, keep the touch at all volumes. I get so many calls and shout-outs for this reason.
Not sure if it was because I'd hardly played for a decade but I did a fill-in for an 80 covers band - Duran Duran, INXS, Elvis Costello etc - and I found it impossible to get the "boom bam" 80s vibe without hitting hard. Those e-drum snares were like mini-explosions and I found that you had to whack the snare like Chris Franz to sound adequate. I preferred the 70s :)

I've gotten more work playing lightly and with finesse than I have playing loudly. My experience comes from playing in churches for 20+ years.
Oh yeah!

Back