Thoughts on Phil Collins

Ronzo

Phil Collins and specifically Genesis was my first love in music. He took his fame to next level shit when he stepped out from behind the kit and took centre stage.
As a Genesis fan it frustrated me that people who only knew his solo career had no idea how gifted a drummer and musician he was.
Beyond his talent what really drew me in was his sense of humour and playfulness.
Seen them in concert a few times and was introduced to Chester Thompson.
I have also had the chance to see The Musical Box a few times as well. For those that are not familiar, The Musical Box are a French-Canadian tribute band formed in Montreal, Quebec in 1993 who recreate performances by the English rock band Genesis during the 1970s. If you are a Genesis fan you simply must see them.

MntnMan62

Chester is fabulous with Weather Report and Genesis as well
One of the real good guys
I agree. Chester is highly underrated. Genesis was probably the easy gig for him in his lifetime. As Rolltide points out, he played with Weather Report and I absolutely love what he did on Black Market. But his immense talent was established during his years with Frank Zappa. And as great as that drum fill is in Afterglow on Second's Out, Chester taught Phil that drum lick from his Roxy and Elsewhere days on More Trouble Every Day. And truth be told, as much as I like and respect of Phil's drumming (the solo career not so much), I think Chester has helped Phil sound so much better with Genesis. I'm not taking anything away from him but Chester definitely gave Genesis that little something that Phil alone could not have provided. I like Phil as a drummer and kudos are due to Chester as well.

iCe

I don't know a lot of his work, but i don't live under a rock and know about his work haha. Friend of mine is more into his work and years back showed me the opening of a show where he and Chester Thompson do that drum solo thing. Really liked that, great playing! Whenever a version of that pops up in my YouTube suggestions i won't say no to that!

blinky

Fantastic musician, singer, drummer, one of my fav drummer of all time. He has such timing and flow, and came up with the right drum parts especially in the early days; Selling England and the Lamb. I wish I had as much musicality as his left toe.

Peedy

This thread inspired me to pull out my lone Genesis CD, (the album is just called: Genesis, 1983). Bought this thing as a HS senior in 1985 and it still sports the crack I gave it when foot met case in my 77 Dodge lead sled.

Ripped to iTunes. IMHO, a vastly underrated album. . . though I do get the grumbling by the 70's purists.

Pete

Genesis.jpg

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Phil is incredible in every way and always has been

the feel in this song alone should leave anyone who respects the instrument saluting in respect.

go try to recreate it ... you can't

One of the things that really impresses me about Phil's playing is his ability to not just lock in with a drum machine, but to still make his playing groove and never feel stiff. That's super hard to do and he's such a natural at it.

C.M. Jones

One of the things that really impresses me about Phil's playing is his ability to not just lock in with a drum machine, but to still make his playing groove and never feel stiff. That's super hard to do and he's such a natural at it.
Yeah, he's always been a master of inscribing his signature on every beat he executes. He has a unique way of making drum machines come to life. It's almost as though the machine is following him, not the other way around.

Hewitt2

the feel in this song alone should leave anyone who respects the instrument saluting in respect.

Hell of a pick. Great choice in selecting a deeper cut!

Old Dog new Cans

I saw Genesis back in 1986, and it was a great show. I'm quite a Chester Thompson (Phil Collins' drumming counterpart in Genesis) fan as well.
I also saw that show! My first real concert ever. Sat about 20 feet behind Chester Thompson.

I've always liked Phi's music. Either Genesis or his solo stuff. I will agree, some of his solo stuff just puts me to sleep though.

I first thought of Phil as a good singer, who could also play drums lol. Then I saw him play live at that show with Chester. Changed my persepective.

I will also add, I've seen some interviews where he was just a total pr!ck. Reminded me of Clapton :sick:

C.M. Jones

I also saw that show! My first real concert ever. Sat about 20 feet behind Chester Thompson.

I've always liked Phi's music. Either Genesis or his solo stuff. I will agree, some of his solo stuff just puts me to sleep though.

I first thought of Phil as a good singer, who could also play drums lol. Then I saw him play live at that show with Chester. Changed my persepective.

I will also add, I've seen some interviews where he was just a total pr!ck. Reminded me of Clapton :sick:
I hear you. In Clapton's case especially, his renunciation of John Bonham has always irked me. Calling Bonham unmusical is insane.

Old Dog new Cans

I hear you. In Clapton's case especially, his renunciation of John Bonham has always irked me. Calling Bonham unmusical is insane.
Well, simply put, he "used" to be a racist. He likes to blame alcohol and drugs. But from my own experiences, they just intensify the truth. Have you ever read his rant from a '76 show in England? I've dealt with too much of it in my life. I can't stand people that just think they're better than others.

And for those big Clapton fans, Yes it was 45 years ago. But that doesn't make it right.

Sorry, way OT there.

The lads from Cream AND the Rolling Stones had little good to say about the music of Led Zeppelin, while often admitting they liked the members as people—I'm thinking there's more than a little jealousy behind their opinions.

eddypierce

My brother had one of those Pickwick hits compilation LP's when I was a kid, from around 1981 or 1982 (when I was about 8), and this tune was on it. I really liked it, but being young I couldn't appreciate the drumming. I remember hearing it on the radio sometime in the last ten years, and checking out the drumming and thinking, "Yeah, Phil!"

No Jacket Required was one of the first albums I ever owned. Of course, Phil was omnipresent in the 80's, so everyone who was around back then heard his tunes on the radio all the time. I can understand some of the criticism of his solo work being somewhat MOR, or people thinking his vocals are not to their liking, but in general I could never figure out why so many people seem to bash him nowadays. It seems to me that even without factoring in his drumming, he was at the very least a hard-working, highly competent singer and craftsman. And, of course, added to that is that he was a phenomenal drummer, whether he was playing pop, art-rock (or prog rock or whatever the heck it's called), fusion, straight-ahead rock, or R&B.

Hewitt2

My brother had one of those Pickwick hits compilation LP's when I was a kid, from around 1981 or 1982 (when I was about 8), and this tune was on it. I really liked it, but being young I couldn't appreciate the drumming. I remember hearing it on the radio sometime in the last ten years, and checking out the drumming and thinking, "Yeah, Phil!"

No Jacket Required was one of the first albums I ever owned. Of course, Phil was omnipresent in the 80's, so everyone who was around back then heard his tunes on the radio all the time. I can understand some of the criticism of his solo work being somewhat MOR, or people thinking his vocals are not to their liking, but in general I could never figure out why so many people seem to bash him nowadays. It seems to me that even without factoring in his drumming, he was at the very least a hard-working, highly competent singer and craftsman. And, of course, added to that is that he was a phenomenal drummer, whether he was playing pop, art-rock (or prog rock or whatever the heck it's called), fusion, straight-ahead rock, or R&B.
With electronic beats being in high vogue, I think the pendulum is swinging back recognizing how influential his 80s oeuvre was on modern music. Musicians like Lorde and Taylor Swift now openly sing their praises of Phil and he enjoys high standing among R&B and hip-hop artists. And his status as a drummer has never been in question.

Yes there are those critics that remain unimpressed with his solo catalogue. But it’s important to remember that he did have solo releases that received love from even his toughest critics (Face Value) and he lived a double-life as a sideman and producer with some heavy hitters throughout that era working on music that earned high critical praise (Plant, Clapton, Gabriel,etc.).

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I grew up on the pop stuff.

Not something I listen to these days, but it holds up better than some of the other stuff I listened to as a kid.

This is the coolest music video ever and it's always relevant.