Thoughts on new cymbals for an old newb?

Soupy

Silver Member
To introduce my question properly, let me note that I'm in my thirties and have been learning drumming for 2 or 3 years. I have a wife, I have kids. I've got a used set of Exports which are great, but the similarly used cymbals that came with the drums have been beaten to death: a set of dinged and dented ZBT hats/crash/ride plus a hugely cracked Z Rock crash. I've gone to music stores and banged away at the display cymbals, but the options are, frankly, overwhelming. I don't have a "sound", I don't have a specific drummer whose sound I want to borrow. I'm just interested in cymbals for playing all-purpose, versatile rock in my basement. Don't need a lot of volume or power, just need to practice, play along with CDs, and once in a blue moon jam with some friends.

So make/model/size cymbals would you get for a standard, bread-and-butter, all purpose rock drum set? I'll certainly go try out different cymbals in stores, I just want suggestions to narrow the field of options to something I can handle. Probably get a couple crashes first, then hats next, as those are the parts of my kit that I'm least happy with. Rides can come later.

Based on your playing needs, and frequency, I would say check out something along the lines of the Zildjian A series set.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...A-Bonus-Box-Set-with-Free-18-Crash?sku=502017

They will sound a lot better than the ZBT/ZHT stuff.

If that is too much of a jump right now, you might check out the Paiste PST5 set.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Paiste-PST-5-Rock-Set-141620?sku=447569

For beginner-type cymbals they really aren't too bad. From what I've heard, Paiste has the best sounding lower end cymbals.

However, I would recommend the Zildjian A set. plus, it comes with their best set of hi-hats, the New Beats. Do a search on here for 'New Beat' and check out some of the reviews.

Yeah, definitely Zildjian A as Brady said. They are very versatile cymbals that will work perfectly in many settings, and since you aren't looking for a specific sound, these can produce a wide variety of them. If you're on a tighter budget, the Paistes are alright, too bright and Rock oriented for my taste, but they are OK.

Fox.

Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks.

However, I would recommend the Zildjian A set. plus, it comes with their best set of hi-hats, the New Beats. Do a search on here for 'New Beat' and check out some of the reviews.

As far as I can tell, the A Custom Hi Hats in that pack aren't the same as the New Beat Hats?

You cant go wrong with Zild A'a and K's.
I would look for used ones.
Also Paiste 2oo2 series are great sounding pies.
Again I would go with used.

You can get two great used pies for the price of one new one.

20 inch ride, 13 or 14 inch hats, 18 inch crash.
That's all that you need for most playing.

Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks.

As far as I can tell, the A Custom Hi Hats in that pack aren't the same as the New Beat Hats?

Nevermind, I was looking at two different things and confused the difference between the A Customs and the A Zildjian series.

Shop used. My rule of thumb pricing is $10 an inch. Pay no more than.​
eBay, Craig's List, pawn shops, yard sales. The more places you look, the "better" your chances of finding a deal.​
The last really great deal I "just fell into" was a 17" Zildjian A Custom crash, for $50.​

14 A New Beats
18 A Medium Thin Crash
18 A Medium Crash
21 A Sweet Ride

You can't go wrong with these for most music styles.

Sabian AA series are very good too, comparable to the Zildjian A series. The AAX are the equivalent to the A Customs, and the HHX are comparable to the K's (both hand hammered). Personally, I play K Custom's, an HHX, AAX's, an A and an A Custom, I find Sabian and Zildjian mix very well since they are from the same family and produced in a similar fashion.

The advise that others have given about buying used is the way to go. Don't skimp on quality, but search for good deals, particularly on Craigslist since you can check them out in person. Look for keyholing and small stress fractures, and bring a stick and a stand when you go to take a look. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've started the eBay/Craigslist prowling route.

14 A New Beats
18 A Medium Thin Crash
18 A Medium Crash
21 A Sweet Ride

You can't go wrong with these for most music styles.

Question: Why two 18"s instead of a 16"? And how do the sweet ride and the common A medium ride compare?

First congrats on picking up the drums in your 30's. That is something a ton of people wish they could do but never do it. I'm really happy for you. Based on what you've said about yourself , if your looking for something econmical and decent all around bang on pie's you should ( since your looking anyway ) Check out Wuhan's New Traditional Series Cymbals. All handmade from B20 bronze they are what I call entry level plus. They are reletively inexpensive ( not cheap ) Inexpensive and cheap are way different in my book. They have a brilliant finish and a really decent for the money. Check out my You Tube page I have over 100 cymbal video's including the entire Wuhan series I'm talking about plus other brands Silken, Diril, Mirage, Bosphorus and some different drum head Demo's. I hope you find it helpful. www.youtube.com/ILDUCE61 T

Back