Thoughts on Murat Dirill cymbals?

veecharlie

I got in love with those... However, I wanted to know the overall reputation of this brand? They seem to be pretty new...

mitkoni

I haven't tried these, so I have no opinion on the product they are making. But they aren't new for sure. If I'm not mistaken, they used to do part of the processing on Meinl Byzance line. Their products look no different then any other Turkish cymbal manufacturer, so I will assume that the quality and the sound will be on similar level as well. But I could be wrong.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Yeah, there are Murat Diril cymbals and Ibrahim Diril cymbals. They are brothers, I believe. They had a split like Zildjian and Istanbul. I believe they both worked for Istanbul, pre-split years, and one of the brothers moved to another city to start his own company.

Anyway, they are not all that new. I think Paiste 20 Series blanks came from one of their foundries, and like the other guy says, Meinl Byzance used their blanks too. So they both have good reputations with their own foundry.

I happened to purchase an I. Diril cymbal. (19" AD Series) It looks very Turkish, It's dark and not too washy. Definitely has that Turkish sound to it. The spread is nice and the tone is pure with no gongy overtones at all. I think it was an awesome purchase, but the only thing is that it might be hard to sell in the future because most drummers, I guess, don't know these brands.

porter

Platinum Member
Yeah, the cymbals that are just "Diril" are Ibrahim's company, and Murat Diril's are, well, that name. I'm quite certain that Meinl's relationship was with Diril, based on their product line and the similarities between my pair of Diril Primitive hats and the Meinl Extra Drys. Paiste specifically says Murat Diril in one of their press materials, though I also see some reference to both brothers... I dunno.

Anyways, I was interested in buying some Murat Dirils after hearing some quite good soundfiles, but they seem to only sell by direct order, and my email to them inquiring about purchasing was first met with fishing for endorsers, which I personally don't care for, so I never followed up and don't have any personal experience with the cymbals.

Love the Diril hats though.

porter

Platinum Member
I should say, I think the endorsement thing is relatively new, along with their active Instagram account. Just not my cup of tea, personally.

veecharlie

Yeah, there are Murat Diril cymbals and Ibrahim Diril cymbals. They are brothers, I believe. They had a split like Zildjian and Istanbul. I believe they both worked for Istanbul, pre-split years, and one of the brothers moved to another city to start his own company.

Anyway, they are not all that new. I think Paiste 20 Series blanks came from one of their foundries, and like the other guy says, Meinl Byzance used their blanks too. So they both have good reputations with their own foundry.

I happened to purchase an I. Diril cymbal. (19" AD Series) It looks very Turkish, It's dark and not too washy. Definitely has that Turkish sound to it. The spread is nice and the tone is pure with no gongy overtones at all. I think it was an awesome purchase, but the only thing is that it might be hard to sell in the future because most drummers, I guess, don't know these brands.
that's a very interesting fact ! I agree.. drummers will always stick with "what's known".

taiko

I think you are right about this. I had a set of Diril cymbals (Ibrahim) and I had a hard time selling them when I decided to change. They were very good sounding instruments and well made, but they will not hold value. So if you think you might sell them, you should probably take resale value into consideration.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I think you are right about this. I had a set of Diril cymbals (Ibrahim) and I had a hard time selling them when I decided to change. They were very good sounding instruments and well made, but they will not hold value. So if you think you might sell them, you should probably take resale value into consideration.
Yeah, this is true, but I fell in love with the sound of this cymbal. I still think it's a great purchase for me. It contrasts well with my usual bright main crash, it's dry and very ride-able.

The thing is, I don't normally sell my cymbals anyway. So, no big deal.

taiko

Yeah, this is true, but I fell in love with the sound of this cymbal. I still think it's a great purchase for me. It contrasts well with my usual bright main crash, it's dry and very ride-able.

The thing is, I don't normally sell my cymbals anyway. So, no big deal.
That's the way to be. I don't worry about getting my money back when I sell gear. But for some this is an issue and, unfortunately, the drumming world like with many other musical instruments, is very brand-driven rather than sound-driven.

mitkoni

For me there is nothing better then great sounding cymbals with low resale value :) I'm buying used quite often and I buy cymbals because I like them and want to use them, not to sell them later.

Last edited: