Thought I might be getting a smoking deal here...

yammyfan

I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw this ad this morning. Looks like a high-end Tama kit, Yamaha snare and Zildjian cymbals for $500 Canadian ($375 USD). Wish I had taken a screenshot of the photo taken from the side because you can see the individual elements much better in that view.

Ad.jpg

I was pretty excited when the seller said that the ad had gotten a ton of attention (it had been up for less than an hour) but I was the first to respond so the kit was mine if I wanted it. He or she then offered another photo and this is what they sent:

$_1.jpg

Not the same at all - just a junk kit that also happened to be blue. Definitely not worth $500, either. I asked which photo was the actual kit and was told that it was the latter one with "Baron" stenciled on the kick drum.

Needless to say, I declined to buy the kit. I'm really, really disappointed because I fell in love with the blue fade finish depicted in the first set of photos. The Hi-Hats shown were Zildjian K meaning that I could have recovered half the purchase price right there had I decided to sell them. I've already got a pair of K Hi-Hats.

Bummer!!

As an aside, can anybody tell me what kind of kit that is in the first set of photos? Is that a Tama Starclassic or similar?

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
This should be considered false advertisement. People who do this should be held accountable. Dishonesty in whatever venue is not cool.

yammyfan

I had a line on one of those Made in Mexico PDP kits recently but let it pass for one reason or another. The one shown above looks good to me though I thought that it might be a Tama.

I'm glad that I didn't fall for the bait-and-switch. I would have been crushed had I made the one hour drive from my place and been greeted by those things upon my arrival

Last edited:

Mustion

Still annoying though. Reminds me of apartment hunting thru CL. That is total about bait-and-switch central.

I'd like to think that the seller probably really knows zilch about drums and grabbed the first picture of a blue drum set they could find when they posted the ad, figuring that one is just as good as another... however, where are the "stand" and "cynballs" that are supposed to be included?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
6 lug bass drum, I can't read the $2.00 bass drum head in the second photo. Good that you wasted no gas or other time. And he says, Don't waste my time. LOL

yammyfan

Still annoying though. Reminds me of apartment hunting thru CL. That is total about bait-and-switch central.

I'd like to think that the seller probably really knows zilch about drums and grabbed the first picture of a blue drum set they could find when they posted the ad, figuring that one is just as good as another... however, where are the "stand" and "cynballs" that are supposed to be included?
I think you're right. In fairness, the seller deleted the misleading photos when I pointed out the problem.

I could read the logo on the hi-hats when I clicked on the second thumbnail and they were Zildjian K's. Four crashes, a ride and a pair of hi-hats would have been worth $500 alone (even less in US funds). The shells and hardware would have been a bonus 😄