Those Wuhan splash cymbals....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all, does anyone here use the 8" Wuhan splash cymbal?

When I was younger, I had a Zildjian A 8" splash, so that's the sound I'm looking for to kinda' round out my Stewart Copeland cymbal set-up. I'm thinking the splash is so small to be hit occasionally that there's no need to spend $100 on one. But I'm wondering if the Wuhans come close to sounding like the Zildjian. Anyone here using one? What do you think about 'em?

Pimento

I didnt even know they made splashes, i have only seen the chinas. If you do get one, please review it.

Wuhan is a weird brand for me, they seem too cheap to have the sound that they do, my first wuhan purchase was a 14" china...and it was exactly the sound i couldn ot get from the "big brands" and "pro lines" bonus...it only cost me $50

Stroman

Platinum Member
Yes, I use them. They sound a lot like the older Zildjians and are a FANTASTIC value, IMO. I have an 8" and a 10".

BGH

Gold Member
I agree with the others. I have several Wuhans, including a 12" splash. It sounds great. If you know the song 'Can't Find My Way Home' by Blind Faith, this splash sounds just like the splash in that tune. Its a little more 'paper-y' sounding than my Zildjian splashes. In fact, on my last gig, a female drummer approached me and asked me specifically about my 12".......cymbal.......

I also have a 16" Wuhan China that is just incredible. Super dark and trashy. Wuhans are a great way to add sounds to your set-up on the cheap. I wanna get their 12 and 14 Chinas.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Just to throw another one into the mix. I have an 8" Stagg Splash that I bought for £15 about five years ago. It's honestly the best-sounding splash I have ever heard. It's fantastic! Even after I cracked it and cut a chunk out of it, it sounds fantastic.

Even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, it's worth picking one up. They are silly money.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Bo, when I get home from work this afternoon I'll try to record you a quick sound sample if you want.

I probably won't get to post it until evening - 8 or 9 PM pacific time...

alparrott

Platinum Member
I played a 10" Wuhan splash at my last church where someone had left it there and never reclaimed it. Their splashes are very thin, dark, dirty and trashy, but all that lends to a low, quick snap of a splash, which is what I prefer anyways. Very similar to an older, thinner Zildjian.

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
I use the 8 and 10" stacked on each other. They are thin and have a nice dry, almost china sound to them. I also use two Wuhan chinas and my thoughts are always for the price, the sound quality can't be beat. Great, cheap cymbals plain and simple.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Bo, when I get home from work this afternoon I'll try to record you a quick sound sample if you want.

I probably won't get to post it until evening - 8 or 9 PM pacific time...
Cool. Thanks - I'll look forward to it. But take your time, I'm in no rush. Because of course, once I get the $20 splash, I have to get the $65 stand for it ;)

caddywumpus

Platinum Member

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Or a $25 cymbal arm with clamp...

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Cymbal-Long-Boom-Attachment-Clamp?sku=490635&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=197229069

I have had a few "made in China" splash cymbals. They're a little trashier than their Zildjian counterparts.
I knew that would come up. But I'm trying to create that vintage Copeland look when he had everything on the floor in the original Roxanne video (with the red background). He played a five-piece (what I have) with three crashes, a splash, ride and hats. If I had another crash and the splash, I'll have my 'tribute' Tama kit.

But unlike Marco Minneman, I will not put together a Police band and have a bass player that acts just like Sting (it's a bit creepy - you should see it).......I just like the set-up, it made sense to me when I had it way back when....

Like this:

Attachments

timmdrum

Silver Member
Thanks so much! Those sound great - especially the 8" for $20! I think I'll pick one up!
I'd advise you to not get one that you didn't hear personally though- Wuhans are notoriously inconsistent. My experience is with the chinas, and you can line up 10 of the same model, and there will be more variation in their pitches, sustain, attack, every variable you can imagine. Not to say they're not great if you find the ones you like. I've had 3- played one 12" china 'til it broke, replaced it and now have a 16" also- but with all 3, I played 10 or 12 until I found the one I liked. Dunno if their western-style pies are the same way. I've been curious about them but haven't had opportunity to hear them in person.

Also, I'm a little weary about sending my money to China. (Unfortunately hard to avoid these days.) That may have been keeping me from buying more Wuhans, or Stagg, etc.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I'd advise you to not get one that you didn't hear personally though- Wuhans are notoriously inconsistent. My experience is with the chinas, and you can line up 10 of the same model, and there will be more variation in their pitches, sustain, attack, every variable you can imagine. Not to say they're not great if you find the ones you like. I've had 3- played one 12" china 'til it broke, replaced it and now have a 16" also- but with all 3, I played 10 or 12 until I found the one I liked. Dunno if their western-style pies are the same way. I've been curious about them but haven't had opportunity to hear them in person.

Also, I'm a little weary about sending my money to China. (Unfortunately hard to avoid these days.) That may have been keeping me from buying more Wuhans, or Stagg, etc.
There is some variation with the splashes, but not nearly as much as with the China cymbals, IME. I've played several of the splashes now, and none were bad. It's best if you can hear them in person, but not always possible.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Thanks for the warning. Yeah, I plan on picking one out at a local store near me. Hell, I'm in LA/Orange County. If I can't find it in person here, then maybe it doesn't exist!

I recall slight variations in K Custom Dark rides when I was picking mine out 20 years ago. I must be the reason there's a 30-day money-back-guarantee now. They'd rather have me buy it and take it home instead of driving the sales people up the wall!

Fox622003

Gold Member
I second what someone said about Stagg. You might find exactly what you're looking for in the SH line. They make splashes as small as 6". Beautiful sound.

Fox

simmsdn

Silver Member
Thanks so much! Those sound great - especially the 8" for $20! I think I'll pick one up!
I have two 8" and one 10" Wuhan Traditional series splashes (brilliant finish) - they are dynamite! Seriously I like these better than the $100+ splashes I've owned and I bought all three together new for under $75. Maybe I just like the price, but they sound great (I think very 80s K sounding).

BTW - Bo, disappointed with how you really look in your YouTube videos compared to pic here.

Visible Ninja

This Thread was very helpful, especially that mp3 file, a huge amount of thanks to whoever that was that posted it, I needed to find a good quality video or sound bite to hear these.
I will definitely pick up a 10 and an 8 in these, I love the sound.

Good Luck with your Copeland tribute kit Bo!

Ninja