Thomas Lang- revenge of the concert tom!!

C.M. Jones

While the streamlined maintenance of concert toms has always been something of a draw, I can't abide their asymmetrical appearance or their one-dimensional tonality. In the first case, toms without bottom heads look misshapen to me, a visual effect I find repellent. In the second case, resonate heads do a great deal to add complexity and character to drums. Removing them limits one's tuning options considerably. For the aforementioned reasons, concert toms have never been part of my setup. That report is unlikely to change.

Out of Round

Like a lot of people in my age group, I started out not using resos. Other than maybe trying to get a certain sound in the studio, I couldn't really go there again.

harryconway

Platinum Member
If I found a really cool vintage concert tom kit, I might snatch it up. I had concert toms in the 70's ..... and I briefly re-visited 'em 10 or 15 years ago. Premier Baron kit. Had to sell it to a Premier collector. Drums come and drums go.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 3
I mean, if I were in a position remotely like Thomas Lang, where it was entirely feasible to have many, many kits? Sure, why not with some concert toms? They sound great in the video—perhaps due to processing—and they do have that nostalgia thing for many of us. I don't think I'd ever choose concert toms for my one and only kit, but maybe for my fourth or fifth.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
The short decay really lends itself to Thomas’ hand foot combos. Too much resonance muddies things up when the phrasing gets dense or the tempos get fast.