Thomas Lang- revenge of the concert tom!!

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
While the streamlined maintenance of concert toms has always been something of a draw, I can't abide their asymmetrical appearance or their one-dimensional tonality. In the first case, toms without bottom heads look misshapen to me, a visual effect I find repellent. In the second case, resonate heads do a great deal to add complexity and character to drums. Removing them limits one's tuning options considerably. For the aforementioned reasons, concert toms have never been part of my setup. That report is unlikely to change.

Out of Round

Like a lot of people in my age group, I started out not using resos. Other than maybe trying to get a certain sound in the studio, I couldn't really go there again.

harryconway

Platinum Member
If I found a really cool vintage concert tom kit, I might snatch it up. I had concert toms in the 70's ..... and I briefly re-visited 'em 10 or 15 years ago. Premier Baron kit. Had to sell it to a Premier collector. Drums come and drums go.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 6

GretschedHive

Silver Member
I mean, if I were in a position remotely like Thomas Lang, where it was entirely feasible to have many, many kits? Sure, why not with some concert toms? They sound great in the video—perhaps due to processing—and they do have that nostalgia thing for many of us. I don't think I'd ever choose concert toms for my one and only kit, but maybe for my fourth or fifth.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
The short decay really lends itself to Thomas’ hand foot combos. Too much resonance muddies things up when the phrasing gets dense or the tempos get fast.

spelman

Thomas on Roto toms / 5, 7, 9 - stroke rolls.

iCe

Silver Member
I love Thomas, but I love reso’s on my toms! Anyone else out there following Thomas back to the future? :unsure:

Following him on YouTube too and also saw that video. The floor toms sound amazing and the 12" too, but the 8 and 10" sound a bit flat to me.
Being a fan of Peart, concert toms to me are great effect drums. Personally won't use them as main kit though.
The video of the roto tom kit is cool too. When i saw/heard Bozzio and Mangini play those kit i liked the idea too, but also IMO lacking resonance.

Al Strange

Platinum Member
Following him on YouTube too and also saw that video. The floor toms sound amazing and the 12" too, but the 8 and 10" sound a bit flat to me.
Being a fan of Peart, concert toms to me are great effect drums. Personally won't use them as main kit though.
The video of the roto tom kit is cool too. When i saw/heard Bozzio and Mangini play those kit i liked the idea too, but also IMO lacking resonance.
I know what you mean. I like watching other players use them but I don’t see me putting them in my set up anytime soon…:)(y)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Thomas on Roto toms / 5, 7, 9 - stroke rolls.
Thomas going ...... well ....... full Thomas;)

I'm a much bigger fan of the roto tom ..... than the concert tom. Had a 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 set ..... sold 'em. Had another 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 set ..... sold 'em. Now have a 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 set ...... and I'm gonna hold onto 'em this time. Man , that 18 is up over $500 .... when you can find a OG chrome-on-chrome.

TK-421

I just saw Thomas Lang two weeks ago at the Baked Potato, and there weren't any concert toms in sight. I'd never seen him in anything other than a clinic, instructional video or kit tour video before (other than a few minutes of that Dream Theater audition), so it was interesting seeing him in a band context.

I shot this video, so you can see how close I was to him. He was still learning the tunes, so it wasn't a perfect performance, but still very impressive.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Wow TK I never realized how he plays just like I do :rolleyes::):D
Dang besides technical abilities he’s got a great feel and intuition. His chops are super beeindruckend. How long did they play?

TK-421

Dang besides technical abilities he’s got a great feel and intuition. His chops are super beeindruckend. How long did they play?
They played 2 sets, each one around an hour and 20 minutes. However Thomas (being the newbie to the band) only knew one set worth of material, so they repeated the same songs for the 2nd set.

Wow TK I never realized how he plays just like I do
Then why are you keeping us waiting on your instructional video? I'm sure it will be a hit. Or if nothing else, we'll get to see you 'hit' things :)

GretschedHive

Silver Member
I'd never seen him in anything other than a clinic, instructional video or kit tour video before (other than a few minutes of that Dream Theater audition), so it was interesting seeing him in a band context.
Funny, after the roto tom vid, YT recommended me another Lang video and beyond being awesome, I was a bit confused as to why I was so confused watching it, until I realized that, yeah, just like you, I'd never seen him in anything other than a clinic, instructional video or kit tour video before (other than a few minutes of that Dream Theater audition). [SPOILERS: he can play other stuff really, really, really well too.]

Iristone

Thomas going ...... well ....... full Thomas;)

I'm a much bigger fan of the roto tom ..... than the concert tom. Had a 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 set ..... sold 'em. Had another 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 set ..... sold 'em. Now have a 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 set ...... and I'm gonna hold onto 'em this time. Man , that 18 is up over $500 .... when you can find a OG chrome-on-chrome.
I really prefer larger rototoms, that could emulate tympani. I prefer bongos to those small rototoms...
Concert toms - a whole nother matter. Personally I love them, IN ADDITION to (not instead of) normal, double-sided floor toms.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Is it me or did the bass drums not sound good with the concert tom set? I thought the toms sounded cool but the kicks were too metal sounding.