This was a topic of discussion the other day

No-one should get offended by just words - they're just words!!

Plenty of things in this world we should be offended by.....

That sounds as if it could a Lenny Bruce line. And I mean that in a good way.

To use another old saying, we become what we hate.

Wow you have some really great old sayings.

I haven't heard either one of those before this.

Words can and do hurt when directly aimed at someone.

I've been scarred by words. Who hasn't?

We're family here. If we can't express ourselves here...then what's the point?

Mr. Gretsched Hive deserves support just like Mike does. His opinion matters too. If he could just remove the personal innuendos, there would be no reason to want to strangle him :)

I agree that chicky baby can be a condescending term, but not the way Mike used it, amongst family, my opinon only (MOO!)

If it was a dude, and Mike referred to him as I don't know, Joe Stupid Haircut, would we even be having this discussion?

No. It would be funny. Who would defend Mr. Stupid Haircut?

Not defending Mr. haircut is equally as bad IMO as defending chicky baby.

It's discrimination if you want to boil it down.

I'm all for free speech, I just wish they'd shut up about it.

If you are in music performance to make money, you are in the wrong business.

Except for a small %, you can make MUCH more in other industries for far less effort.

Let anyone say what they want...just refuse to take less than even share...and contract before you even show to a practice.

Rare exception that will not come the way of all but a handful of us.

If the words don't hurt, why do you want to shoot him in the foot?

That's not what I meant. I can see how my sentence was misconstrued though. What I was getting at was "sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me".

People get "hurt" all the time, yet it doesn't require a trip to the ER, or a band-aid even.

I have no desire to shoot anyone in the foot. :)

That's not what I meant. I can see how my sentence was misconstrued though. What I was getting at was "sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me".

People get "hurt" all the time, yet it doesn't require a trip to the ER, or a band-aid even.

I have no desire to shoot anyone in the foot. :)
I gotcha. Fair enough! :)

Words can and do hurt when directly aimed at someone.

I've been scarred by words. Who hasn't?

This is very true.

Most of the time, what is denigrated as being "PC" just boils down to trying not to be a dick. (Rule 1: Try not to be a dick.)

As for all the wailing about free speech, freedom of speech is the right to say what you want without being imprisoned for your opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. If you are transgressing rule 1, expect to be shouted down. If you are being shouted down, you prolly transgressed rule 1. If you haven't been thrown in jail despite transgressing rule...you are enjoying freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not mean that anybody's opinion (not even mine!) has to be listened to or even tolerated.

Genius!

That's from Paul Giammatti as Limbo, the human salesman in Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes.

Another good line from him, about humans, "The young ones make great pets. Just make sure you get rid of them before they mature. Believe me, the last thing you want is a human teenager running around your house."

This is very true.

Most of the time, what is denigrated as being "PC" just boils down to trying not to be a dick. (Rule 1: Try not to be a dick.)

As for all the wailing about free speech, freedom of speech is the right to say what you want without being imprisoned for your opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. If you are transgressing rule 1, expect to be shouted down. If you are being shouted down, you prolly transgressed rule 1. If you haven't been thrown in jail despite transgressing rule...you are enjoying freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not mean that anybody's opinion (not even mine!) has to be listened to or even tolerated.

As for rule #1: For every 10 people that think you are being a dick, there are 10 others that agree with you wholeheartedly. Ergo rule #1 self negates.

My wife says chicky- baby is perfectly acceptable, cute even. She also said I can call her chicky-baby any time I want. Heffer, fat cow, stupid clam, and dumb bitch are definite no-nos however.

Good idea! Then maybe I can afford some geezer gear. Oh wait, was that offensive or no?

Pfffttt.... old people. Who cares what they think?

FYI, I'm not offended by people on either side of the debate. I just find it interesting the way we tend to undermine our own arguments by contradicting ourselves or by doing the very thing we're complaining about.

I do it too, as much as I try not to. I especially try to avoid doing it online. But get a couple of beers in me when I'm out with the boys, and all bets are off.

...with chicky-baby stating that the drummers are usually the person in the band who gets paid the least, you don't really see the drummer; just a bunch of misconceptions regarding drummers and it stated as matter of fact by someone who has never played a musical instrument outside of a car stereo

This is just lame and demeaning. A lot of this discussion reinforces how homogeneous the demographic of active users on this forum seems.

Back