This virus made me fall in love with drums again.

flamateurhour

This is an incredibly stressful time for me, I'll throw that out there right off the bat. Finances are tight to the point where I'm losing sleep, and my city is one of the lowest ranked in the nation as far as outbreak preparedness goes. To top that off, I was on seasonal layoff for most of the winter, parted ways with the company in early February, and was truly relying on a constant paycheck to get my noggin back above water.

However, at the end of February I started doing yoga (check out YogawithAdriene on youtube, she's amazing) and meditating once a day. I had my first big payoff this week. Somehow after doing yoga/meditating that day, I was able to tell whatever part of my mind it is that has been channeling the stress to kindly f**k off and afford myself the opportunity to enjoy and fully utilize the rest of my day. I realized that I haven't been forced to sit on my butt with nothing to do since I was a teenager. I don't remember the last time I had the feeling of, "man, I'm bored, what should I do with my time?". And after compartmentalizing my stress, I decided to hit the practice room, rather than curl up in a ball in bed and read the news/watch Netflix.

And HOLY CRAP you guys, I'm so damn re-energized on the instrument. With no work shifts, rehearsals, or long bar sets, I was able to just play for fun and be reminded how much I love this instrument. Somewhere along the line, my relationship with my kit became that of a tradesman with his tools. It was just something I did. A constant in my life. Not something that I necessarily pined to play, but that felt weird to get away from for too many days in a row. But HOLY CRAP. I have definitely taken the drums and the skills I've developed for granted, and this little breather was just what I needed.

Sorry for being corny, I'm just very excited. Treat yourselves well throughout these crazy times ya'll. And try meditation, it's pretty cool.

Glad to hear you've found a productive outlet, as well as a healthful retreat from psychological strain. Drumming, for me, is the ultimate catharsis. My troubles quietly dissipate, and the sense of restoration I achieve is inexplicable. Both body and mind are profoundly soothed.

Man I think yesterday was like a festering pimple, for me personally, and it finally popped. I feel so much better now-got my head out of my bottom. The brain fog is clearing I think. I'm glad for your new found enthusiasm but the thread title (as I read part)I was sort of hoping quarantine with some person you couldn't stand and now you're in love and then censor the rest and leave it up to our imagination :cool: But that'll do-in my best Clint Eastwood voice.

Man I think yesterday was like a festering pimple, for me personally, and it finally popped. I feel so much better now-got my head out of my bottom. The brain fog is clearing I think. I'm glad for your new found enthusiasm but the thread title (as I read part)I was sort of hoping quarantine with some person you couldn't stand and now you're in love and then censor the rest and leave it up to our imagination :cool: But that'll do-in my best Clint Eastwood voice.

I'd put $50 down that you just described the major plotline of at least 3 upcoming summer romantic comedies.

Back