This trend of adding objects onto playing surfaces...

wraub

Well-known member
...maybe it just came back from a holiday tropical island vacation?

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't trust a drummer who can't trust their own hats.

It's been going on for awhile, but great ghost of Carmen Miranda what kind of hat is this?

View attachment 101379
 

Capital D

Member
I would have thought that was a joke photo, but I've been noticing a bunch of mess on people's drums lately too. Ankle bells, car keys, goat hooves on snares an hats. If the extra rattling cuts through to the crowd, and I don't think it does, then it sounds like a bunch of loose nuts inside the drum, or a cracked cymbal. It doesn't sound very musical to me.

Then again, maybe I'm just old...
 

C.M. Jones

Well-known member
I wouldn't want my hi-hats to resemble a disarrayed table of castoff items at a garage sale. Come to think of it, I've never dressed my hats up in any fashion -- no tambourines, no bells, no beads, no salt-and-pepper shakers, nothing of the sort. That goes for all cymbals, in fact. I play them as they come. Why distort their natural beauty?
 
Last edited:

Ryan Culberson

Well-known member
I'm always kinda surprised how many "get off my lawn"ers populate these types of threads. Haven't any of youse wanted a different sound and tried something out? I'm thankful there are trends like this, otherwise we'd still be playing tack head Chinese toms and snare drums sitting in chairs. If throwing a couple slices of grilled onion on my snare drum or an otter pelt on my hats gives me a sound I can use, I'm game. Semi-old guy here, btw. If you're ever in a situation where you're playing what you think is an amazing groove and all of a sudden the songwriter or engineer (or whoever) suddenly says, "Yeah, that's alright but the hi-hats are obnoxious... find another sound!", you'd better be able to come up with something quick.
 

C.M. Jones

Well-known member
I'm always kinda surprised how many "get off my lawn"ers populate these types of threads. Haven't any of youse wanted a different sound and tried something out? I'm thankful there are trends like this, otherwise we'd still be playing tack head Chinese toms and snare drums sitting in chairs. If throwing a couple slices of grilled onion on my snare drum or an otter pelt on my hats gives me a sound I can use, I'm game. Semi-old guy here, btw. If you're ever in a situation where you're playing what you think is an amazing groove and all of a sudden the songwriter or engineer (or whoever) suddenly says, "Yeah, that's alright but the hi-hats are obnoxious... find another sound!", you'd better be able to come up with something quick.

"Get off my lawn" doesn't encapsulate my character. "Replace my grass with a maintenance-free hardscape" does. I like minimalism. Accessories are antithetical to that spirit. I don't care if other drummers place costume jewelry on their cymbals and drumheads. It's just not something I want to do, nor has an engineer or musician ever asked me to.
 

C.M. Jones

Well-known member
This stuff is very impressive. They use it as the floor in their show booth at conventions.

Sounds like heaven. I have too much land to go all-out artificial. This summer, though, we'll be exploring some hardscape options to cut down on yardwork. I live in a cold climate with a long winter and a relatively short growing season, which is nice, but I do dread the mowing months. It's not my ideal way to spend an afternoon.
 

wraub

Well-known member
I do xeriscape... it pretty much cares for itself.

https://www.thespruce.com/xeriscape-landscaping-meaning-2131129


Sounds like heaven. I have too much land to go all-out artificial. This summer, though, we'll be exploring some hardscape options to cut down on yardwork. I live in a cold climate with a long winter and a relatively short growing season, which is nice, but I do dread the mowing months. It's not my ideal way to spend an afternoon.
 

Ryan Culberson

Well-known member
"Get off my lawn" doesn't encapsulate my character. "Replace my grass with a maintenance-free hardscape" does. I like minimalism. Accessories are antithetical to that spirit. I don't care if other drummers place costume jewelry on their cymbals and drumheads. It's just not something I want to do, nor has an engineer or musician ever asked me to.

A reasonable response, Mr. Jones. Have you ever had to modify one of your instruments' sound, for the sake of a recording or gig? Perhaps a song required a more muffled snare drum? All of that stuff on the hats in the OP change the sound of the instrument, are easily added or removed, and don't require permanent modification of the core instrument.

Of course, if one doesn't care about such things, then it could be viewed as frivolous. Minimalism is great. 95% of the time, I use a setup identical to yours. For the remaining 5% of the time that might require me to get a bit esoteric, I like having a bag full of goodies at the ready just in case. If it weren't for the trend, I probably wouldn't have even thought to have the bag of goodies available. That's also why I carry around 5 different muffling options for snares and toms. Options can be a good thing. So can a lack of options.
 

wraub

Well-known member
I've put cowbells on my snare, jingles and/or a tambourine on the hats, and done other effect-y things, and they definitely have a place, but I like the sounds of my cymbals and drums and I largely play for myself.

If I ever play drums with other people, I'll do what it takes to get the sound I want. As a bass player, I've taped strings, played with drum sticks and coins, dragged a mic stand across the strings, used a slide... it's all good. But, usually, I just play the bass.
 

C.M. Jones

Well-known member
A reasonable response, Mr. Jones. Have you ever had to modify one of your instruments' sound, for the sake of a recording or gig? Perhaps a song required a more muffled snare drum? All of that stuff on the hats in the OP change the sound of the instrument, are easily added or removed, and don't require permanent modification of the core instrument.

Of course, if one doesn't care about such things, then it could be viewed as frivolous. Minimalism is great. 95% of the time, I use a setup identical to yours. For the remaining 5% of the time that might require me to get a bit esoteric, I like having a bag full of goodies at the ready just in case. If it weren't for the trend, I probably wouldn't have even thought to have the bag of goodies available. That's also why I carry around 5 different muffling options for snares and toms. Options can be a good thing. So can a lack of options.

Sure, I've muffled heads with O-rings and even tape on occasion. I'm not opposed, in theory, to using foreign objects to alter the output of drums and cymbals. Doing what you need to do to get the sound you want is resourceful and sometimes even necessary. But it comes down to "the sound you want," and we each want different sounds. Also, we each have distinct methods of achieving those sounds. For instance, I don't place wallets, bells, or splashes on snare drums, but I know players who do, and I don't think less of them for it. I have no more right to dictate how they manage their kits than I do to legislate how they style their hair. Moreover, I don't want that breadth of authority. In keeping with my minimalistic constitution, the less I have to monitor, the better I feel.

There are lots of ways to get from Point A to Point B in drumming. Some paths are stark and straight. Others are busy and circuitous. I try to take the clearest path I can find.
 
Top