This seems like a screamin' deal to me. What do you guys think?

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Found this on Craigslist

12" Pork Pie snare. Seller is asking $100. He says it needs a new throwoff, but otherwise is in good shape.

Does anybody have any information on this model?

I now see that this isn't as good of a deal as I thought. These go for $80-$100 in working condition. Maybe I can talk him down

Was this made before or after the other thread you made?

I don't mind but gotta watch for some of the mods heheh. they'll eat ya up for this sort of thing :)

Was this made before or after the other thread you made?

I don't mind but gotta watch for some of the mods heheh. they'll eat ya up for this sort of thing :)

I made the thread talking about side snares, and then the next day, came across this craigslist post, and immediately posted here, to see if it was a good deal, as I don't know much about Pork Pie. Then I took some time to breathe and look at the badge, and did some research of my own. I probably should have done that in the first place. I'd have deleted this thread if I could have. Please tell me if there is a way to delete any threads I've posted, as I couldn't find a way.

I guess I could just 'report' the thread, and just ask that it be deleted in the explanation

Last edited:
no no no, disregard.

Sorry that was my mistake hah, you're right. Two different topics on the thread

sorry about that, i was a bit tired and thought i could help stop somethin before mods got ya :( Again i apologize

Also, i believe that you could still try to talk him down on this drum, and use the $80-100 working condition thing as your ammunition heh.

But the only thing is, since these are made in taiwan, i'm not sure how easy the replacements are to find. I haven't taken a look on Ebay but there might actually be some there

Hah.. It's no problem, man.

I've actually decided against the Pork Pie, as I would rather have a 10" for a side snare. Probably a steel one.

Thanks for the input, though!

Well, you don't really need replacement parts for the Little Squealer per se. Any pork pie throw-off will fit, and I believe its the same size mounting as many other throw-offs. If I remember I'll check the center to center measurements when I get home and post them up for future reference.

You can also mount a Nickleworks, Trick, or Dunnett strainer if you really want. I know for certain the Trick and Nickleworks doesn't match up. Not sure about the Dunnett. You could buy a mounting adapter plate but personally I would just drill new holes. We're talking about a $75-100 snare, so one or two extra little holes won't matter at all.

Well, you don't really need replacement parts for the Little Squealer per se. Any pork pie throw-off will fit, and I believe its the same size mounting as many other throw-offs. If I remember I'll check the center to center measurements when I get home and post them up for future reference.

You can also mount a Nickleworks, Trick, or Dunnett strainer if you really want. I know for certain the Trick and Nickleworks doesn't match up. Not sure about the Dunnett. You could buy a mounting adapter plate but personally I would just drill new holes. We're talking about a $75-100 snare, so one or two extra little holes won't matter at all.

that's true, i hadn't thought about that.

But as for a 12" vs a 10", i know somebody said for a higher pitch go 10", but really i think you should try them both out for yourself. to ME, the 10" Sounds like theres not much resonance, just a quick high pop and its gone. but i've tuned my 12" up a little high, but i didnt crank it up super high, and it still has a nice high pitch sound, crazy good attack, and the right amount of resonance

that's true, i hadn't thought about that.

But as for a 12" vs a 10", i know somebody said for a higher pitch go 10", but really i think you should try them both out for yourself. to ME, the 10" Sounds like theres not much resonance, just a quick high pop and its gone. but i've tuned my 12" up a little high, but i didnt crank it up super high, and it still has a nice high pitch sound, crazy good attack, and the right amount of resonance

Yeah, the resonance is my big concern. It'd be pretty tough to find a 10" snare deep enough to provide the kind of resonance I'm looking for

Yeah, the resonance is my big concern. It'd be pretty tough to find a 10" snare deep enough to provide the kind of resonance I'm looking for

the head you choose is pretty important too, i can get an okay amount of resonance from my squealer when i use a 2 ply (I'm using black suede emperor) but the head i used before was phenomenal for getting a nice attack and a good sustain, at the time it was an evans' J1 Etched, meant for jazz and brushwork but it held up to my medium / medium-heavy hitting. the J1 is equivalent to remo's suede ambassador i believe. Either that or their Renaissance ambassador, i can't remember 100%, i'd have to look at them next to each other. but i'd reccomend giving that head a shot if you like a lot of attack, with a high pitch and a pretty good amount of sustain

There are tons of popcorn and firecracker snares on the GC website under used. Prices started around $50.

i bought one in working condition for $80 but needed some TLC. i took it home cleaned it up repainted it (looked awsome) and still could only get $60 for it.....

Back