This seems like a screamin' deal to me. What do you guys think?

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Found this on Craigslist

12" Pork Pie snare. Seller is asking $100. He says it needs a new throwoff, but otherwise is in good shape.

Does anybody have any information on this model?

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I now see that this isn't as good of a deal as I thought. These go for $80-$100 in working condition. Maybe I can talk him down

Sparkboss

Was this made before or after the other thread you made?

I don't mind but gotta watch for some of the mods heheh. they'll eat ya up for this sort of thing :)

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Was this made before or after the other thread you made?

I don't mind but gotta watch for some of the mods heheh. they'll eat ya up for this sort of thing :)
I made the thread talking about side snares, and then the next day, came across this craigslist post, and immediately posted here, to see if it was a good deal, as I don't know much about Pork Pie. Then I took some time to breathe and look at the badge, and did some research of my own. I probably should have done that in the first place. I'd have deleted this thread if I could have. Please tell me if there is a way to delete any threads I've posted, as I couldn't find a way.

I guess I could just 'report' the thread, and just ask that it be deleted in the explanation

Last edited:

Sparkboss

no no no, disregard.

Sorry that was my mistake hah, you're right. Two different topics on the thread

sorry about that, i was a bit tired and thought i could help stop somethin before mods got ya :( Again i apologize

Sparkboss

Also, i believe that you could still try to talk him down on this drum, and use the $80-100 working condition thing as your ammunition heh.

But the only thing is, since these are made in taiwan, i'm not sure how easy the replacements are to find. I haven't taken a look on Ebay but there might actually be some there

Sparkboss

I took a look and don't see any repair parts for it, however i saw these two

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pork-Pie-Snare-Drum-5x12-Little-Squealer-Black-with-Black-Hardware-/300919572820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4610344954#ht_410wt_1170 , starting it's bid at about 20 dollars, just keep an eye on it

and this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Pork-Pie-Little-Squealer-Snare-Drum-12X5-Evans-Onyx-Nice-/400509972735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d404130ff#ht_131wt_1170 , with a buy it now price of 89.00.

Both appear to have just a tiny bit of cosmetic damage, but the drum still looks good

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Hah.. It's no problem, man.

I've actually decided against the Pork Pie, as I would rather have a 10" for a side snare. Probably a steel one.

Thanks for the input, though!

FlamFlamMan

Well, you don't really need replacement parts for the Little Squealer per se. Any pork pie throw-off will fit, and I believe its the same size mounting as many other throw-offs. If I remember I'll check the center to center measurements when I get home and post them up for future reference.

You can also mount a Nickleworks, Trick, or Dunnett strainer if you really want. I know for certain the Trick and Nickleworks doesn't match up. Not sure about the Dunnett. You could buy a mounting adapter plate but personally I would just drill new holes. We're talking about a $75-100 snare, so one or two extra little holes won't matter at all.

Sparkboss

Well, you don't really need replacement parts for the Little Squealer per se. Any pork pie throw-off will fit, and I believe its the same size mounting as many other throw-offs. If I remember I'll check the center to center measurements when I get home and post them up for future reference.

You can also mount a Nickleworks, Trick, or Dunnett strainer if you really want. I know for certain the Trick and Nickleworks doesn't match up. Not sure about the Dunnett. You could buy a mounting adapter plate but personally I would just drill new holes. We're talking about a $75-100 snare, so one or two extra little holes won't matter at all.
that's true, i hadn't thought about that.

But as for a 12" vs a 10", i know somebody said for a higher pitch go 10", but really i think you should try them both out for yourself. to ME, the 10" Sounds like theres not much resonance, just a quick high pop and its gone. but i've tuned my 12" up a little high, but i didnt crank it up super high, and it still has a nice high pitch sound, crazy good attack, and the right amount of resonance

TColumbia37

Silver Member
that's true, i hadn't thought about that.

But as for a 12" vs a 10", i know somebody said for a higher pitch go 10", but really i think you should try them both out for yourself. to ME, the 10" Sounds like theres not much resonance, just a quick high pop and its gone. but i've tuned my 12" up a little high, but i didnt crank it up super high, and it still has a nice high pitch sound, crazy good attack, and the right amount of resonance
Yeah, the resonance is my big concern. It'd be pretty tough to find a 10" snare deep enough to provide the kind of resonance I'm looking for

Sparkboss

Yeah, the resonance is my big concern. It'd be pretty tough to find a 10" snare deep enough to provide the kind of resonance I'm looking for
the head you choose is pretty important too, i can get an okay amount of resonance from my squealer when i use a 2 ply (I'm using black suede emperor) but the head i used before was phenomenal for getting a nice attack and a good sustain, at the time it was an evans' J1 Etched, meant for jazz and brushwork but it held up to my medium / medium-heavy hitting. the J1 is equivalent to remo's suede ambassador i believe. Either that or their Renaissance ambassador, i can't remember 100%, i'd have to look at them next to each other. but i'd reccomend giving that head a shot if you like a lot of attack, with a high pitch and a pretty good amount of sustain

Slippy

i bought one in working condition for $80 but needed some TLC. i took it home cleaned it up repainted it (looked awsome) and still could only get $60 for it.....