This is why i like jazz...

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Yes. The similarities between Picasso and The Shaggs are unmistakable..

Like i said, for people who only care about the things i mentioned in my previous reply this is an easy album to laugh or to be sarcastic about and thats fine..

Thats why there is also a Classic Rock thread..

But, to be honest, i think i would be more curious about the record collection from someone who also bought this album, than i would be about yours..

No disrespect intended btw..

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've since gone to iTunes and bought the album and I've been listening to it in my car constantly. I love it.

Yes, they don't play very well, and yes, the guitars are out of tune. But after doing some reading up on them, these girls were taken out of school and turned into a band by their father, who wasn't am musician. This is what you get when you're forced into a situation and you have to produce something. One internet article I read on them was that there must have been some kind of weird sinister thing going on with dad. I mean, who takes their kids out of school and tells them to suddenly become musicians and a band? Another internet article was interpreting the lyrics as some kind of plea for help.

But yeah, after getting over the "this is shite" attitude about it, there's something in there, although I don't know what. And to be honest, I've never written a song, so who knows what I would've come up with if I suddenly had to write a song (and that's with musical training). So these sisters did what they had to do, and in that sense, created this avant-garde stuff that people like Frank Zappa noticed.

JustJames

Platinum Member
On 'musician' forums where people seem to care a lot about technique, sound, gear, tempo, etc., an album like this one is always an easy target to get a few laughs ...

Serious question: what else is there to care about in music?

Last edited:

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Like i said, for people who only care about the things i mentioned in my previous reply this is an easy album to laugh or to be sarcastic about and thats fine..

I assume the things you're referring to are things like time, meter, pitch, tuning, melody, harmony......you know, all those pesky fundamental musical elements that when added together actually create something that's cohesive and listenable?

You can claim this to be some sort of deliberately intended masterpiece that cleverly shifts and bends the rules of songwriting and composition in order to create something so unique and profound that most of us just don't get it, if you like. But you'll find it a hard argument to sell. Especially on a music forum.

Truth of the matter is that it's little more than three people with limited musical vocabulary, understanding and skill set, who have stumbled their way into something so totally out there, that to ignore the hilarity leaves very little left for discussion.

Icetech

Gold Member
Serious question: what else is there to care about in music?

For me.. over those 4 technical aspects of music i would take groove and feeling.. If it doesn't make me feel or move then whats the point? Thats why i take bill ward over any other rock drummer.. in 48 years i have never gotten sick of the first 4 sabbath albums. In my life i have dropped zeppelin and the beatles and other bands just to pick them up again later.. but bill and geezer never once bored me :)

P.S. just so people know.. i in no way posted this to shit on these girls or their music.. After the first couple of songs i actually really started to love this album.. it's just so pure to me and they had the balls to do it :) I won't even let someone see me drum let alone try to make a album.

Plus later in the album i swear to god she summons ringo on some fills which cracks me up.. her rolls.. the tone and tempo/feeling of some of them are just great :)

Last edited:

JustJames

Platinum Member
For me.. over those 4 technical aspects of music i would take groove and feeling.

Groove and feeling are all about technique, Shirley? Without technique there can't be groove or feeling. Without opening the groove vs chops debate, technique is as much about making the money beat groove as it is about playing a squillion strokes per bar.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Okay, a few more listens in and I still find enjoyment in this. Foot Foot is great. I don't know why, but it is. My wife couldn't make it more than 20 seconds.

Every so often something like this surfaces. About 20-25 years ago there was a man whose name I can't remember, put out an album. It was the demo track from an old 80s keyboard, and he "sang" nonsense over it. Occasionally he would change the key of the demo or hit the drum fill button. The songs were silly as hell, but he was entertaining. That was the key. Musically it was garbage, but he entertained. No one expected to see a master, just have a good time. And that's what it was about. Sometimes that is enough, and The Shaggs fill that slot. It ain't good, but it is fun.

Roadydad

I had a listen and made it to the 18 minute mark, but simply had to stop. I marched over to my tool box to retrieve some nails, went downstairs where the chalk board sits, and made nice big circles and zig zag gouges with them.
Therapeutic really.

Icetech

Gold Member
"It doesn't matter what you do
It doesn't matter what you say
There will always be
One who wants things the opposite way
It doesn't matter where you go
It doesn't matter who you see
There will always be
Someone who disagrees
We do our best
We try to please
But we're like the rest
We are never at ease"

As good as any lyric i have heard... especially for their age :)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I wonder if they ever interviewed the sister who wrote all this stuff. It'd be funny if she said something like "well, it's what came into my head" after reading a few internet articles on them that went to the deep side of the pool of what the words seemingly meant ;)

ROFL-sounds like some of my diatribes on here. Drink coffee, watch tv, free-thought vomit on here-then surprise myself with what I've said (very entertaining-at least for me I crack me up ;) It is funny when I was teaching and students have to give biological presentations they would like to use "BIG" words-like the words makes it sound intelligent. I'd correct no, no, no you need to communicate the ideas simply-you will lose an audience fast if they are on Google looking up what the word means. You can use "BIG" words and say a whole lotta gobbledegook. Funny how songs can evolve-some a tune first then lyrics and others lyrics then tune. Explains a lot why so many songs are gobbledegook in lyrics-trying to find words to go with a tune (like Bohemian Rhapsody lol).

bud7h4

Silver Member
It's awful.

I love it.

Funny thing; there's a cover band. They fail miserably. It shows you the difference between brilliantly awful and just plain rubbish.