This is a good deal

cjj

Thanks for the write-ups, Tommy D. I've been looking for a bubinga snare to go with my SC Bubinga's and this is cheap enough to try out and shelf if I don't like it. I've ordered one as well (although I'll still search for 'the one').

CJ

ETA: Thank you too Wally :).

ETA2 - my snare was backordered so I cancelled it and ordered the Tama SLP G-Bubinga, it's the one I'd had my eye on!

Last edited:

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
None that I can see.
Hmm, interesting. I'll snap a couple photos of mine at lunch and post them up. I'm curious to see the grain pattern on your drum, or anyone's drum, in comparison to mine. If there is large variation between them, then perhaps this outer ply is a real Bubinga. If it all looks the same then it could end up being an Alpi veneer. Again, not that this is a bad thing. I'm just curious.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Here's the inside and outside at their most figured areas.
The speckling leads me to believe it's real bubinga. It's hard to see through the gloss.

So far, it sounds really nice and at this price it's a great deal for what you get.
My only post purchase depression is due to not having that $150 to go towards an Acoutin snare.
w

Attachments

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Here's the inside and outside at their most figured areas.
The speckling leads me to believe it's real bubinga. It's hard to see through the gloss.

So far, it sounds really nice and at this price it's a great deal for what you get.
My only post purchase depression is due to not having that $150 to go towards an Acoutin snare.
w
Wow, the inside of your drum is really well figured!

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Here are some photos of my Bubinga:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1376676&postcount=39

You can see in the 5th photo (bearing edge close up) that the second to last ply is whiter in color. It looks a bit darker than it did when I got the drum because I sanded, shellacked, and waxed the interior and edges, but its a much lighter color wood. Perhaps its just sap wood, which is supposed to be a light "straw" color. Oh well.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Who knows. Maybe they just wiped the edge down with a stain on mine. I'm sure they're the same.
The beech looks really nice.