This guy has left me speechless...

Although... I think judging in a very hard way one could argue that musically he's quite overplaying the song , isn't he?

Maybe. Depends on the person who's listening. Honestly I think it's cool he's got that kind of creativity and is able to lay down such chops and above all stay on time while pushing the limits of both the amount of chops he adds, while not over playing imo and his ability because of his condition.

Is that a traditional grip?

I bet you're one of those people who has a 10 piece DW Collectors kit and can barely hold a 4/4 beat. Truth be told that's not what I really wanted to say but if you use your imagination you can get an idea of what I would say. Go back to Youtube with your immature juvenile pond scum remarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrew View Post
Is that a traditional grip?
I bet you're one of those people who has a 10 piece DW Collectors kit and can barely hold a 4/4 beat. Truth be told that's not what I really wanted to say but if you use your imagination you can get an idea of what I would say. Go back to Youtube with your immature juvenile pond scum remarks.

I see you missed the point. I have played percussion instruments for 40 years, and I do not own a drumset. If I did, I would be a Luddy guy anyway. The point I was making is that if you look at a number of the threads posted around here lately, you see that more than a few have to do with traditional vs matched grip. Much has been made of it by a number of people. There are even 2 threads on best sticks for each grip! Sheeesh! I think too many people major in minor issues, and this incredible display of determination by this drummer with no hands serves to illustrate that raw determination, patience, and some talent goes a long way in overcoming what some consider important technical issues.

I thought that the drumming was great, and I admire all that he has had to do to overcome and do what he likes. In so many posts, people focus on what is not as important as may seem. Sarcasm is often used to make a serious point, that in this case, it is likely that someone would focus on minor issues ans fail to see the greater accomplishment. It is obvious to all that he has had to transcend grip issues, and that perhaps grip is not as all encompassing as we make it.

As for maturity, blasting people that you don't even know with terms like "pond scum" when you may not recognize sarcasm, or who may not think exactly like you, is hardly a tolerant or mature attitude either. So, chill out, and get a grip (grip of your choice).

Wow, that is absolutely amazing! Kudos to him!

How is he holding the stick in his left arm? He seems to have to whip his entire arm to be able to play, but he has figured out something that works. Amazing!

I think he may have some use of maybe a finger or two in his left hand, and grips it against his arm with those? That's what it looks like due to him having to keep moving the stick back into his arm

I see you missed the point. I have played percussion instruments for 40 years, and I do not own a drumset.

As for maturity, blasting people that you don't even know with terms like "pond scum" when you may not recognize sarcasm, or who may not think exactly like you, is hardly a tolerant or mature attitude either. So, chill out, and get a grip (grip of your choice).

I didn't miss any point behind your comment and I honestly don't care how long you have played or what you have or haven't played. You chose to make that kind of comment so now I'm telling you what I think of it. Also I didn't directly call you pond scum I said that kind of comment was pond scum and wasn't needed. Much like many of the comments being spewed on the internet and mainly Youtube now-a-days. Also yes I know what your comment meant, traditional or matched. Doesn't matter. We obviously can't tell if he is using a certain type of grip and your comment wasn't funny to me. How do you figure the humorous threads about grip types had any place within this thread is beyond me. Honestly I doubt anyone could tell if it was a light hearted or ahole like post in the first place and tbh wasn't funny or needed either way. The difficulties this kid must face daily is unthinkable and I can only wish to know what it's like to have half as much heart, strength and determination to never give up as he does.

The difficulties this kid must face daily is unthinkable and I can only wish to know what it's like to have half as much heart, strength and determination to never give up as he does.

Exactly.

It really puts those whiny "How fast should I play singles?" or "How do I get faster at double bass?" threads in perspective, doesn't it?

Exactly.

It really puts those whiny "How fast should I play singles?" or "How do I get faster at double bass?" threads in perspective, doesn't it?

Sure does, Brady.

Mandrew, I know what you were saying. How important is it for everyone to hold the sticks the same way and make the same strokes? People find a way.

Cornel is an inspiration ... and by necessity an athlete. His body and shoulder motions are amazing.

I think he may have some use of maybe a finger or two in his left hand, and grips it against his arm with those? That's what it looks like due to him having to keep moving the stick back into his arm

I think you are right about the left, but what about the right ... is the stick taped to his limb?

Either way, it is great to see someone have the initiative, imagination, and determination to work his craft. (... and conviction as Numberless mentioned).

The amount of physical effort the guy has to put into his playing must be at least triple what most of us have to do. Incredible. Much respect. Go get 'em, kid!

Best,
radman

I really don't know what to say after seeing this. I'm blown away. And inspired all at once.

Exactly.

For sure brady. It seems wrong to use this person and others in similar positions as a way to put our own lives into perspective but if we never see the POV from others how can we know if we are truly appreciating life and what we have the proper way and/or don't take things for granted. Then in turn possibly help those less fortunate as best as possible if they are willing to accept the help.

Listen I hate to of jumped on this guy like this as it makes me look no better but there was no way in telling his true intentions behind his comment. It seemed like a straight up disrespectful and sarcastic remark that wasn't needed. Much to the same of what we see all over the internet and especially Youtube much too frequently and it easily sets me off. It's far easier to say things like he did and what many others do than to be civil and respectful toward each other especially when not face to face. Though I see now he explained his reasoning behind it which would have been best to do in the first place so this road wouldn't haven been traveled. Sigh...

Back