This drum goes to 11...

So I got a used Oriollo Bellmaker cast bronze 15x6.5 last week, 8 lug with 2.3 mm hoops. It was really super-loud when I got it, so I swapped out the power dot head for a coated Diplomat and the Puresound snares for some Grover cable snares.

It still blows me out of the room every time I hit it. The interesting thing is that the sound is noticeably mid-high, not high, even though it’s a cast shell. I think the 15-inch diameter and the fact that the shell is bronze-not-brass really helps. Plus, the 8 lugs versus 10 help in that way as well.

With the snares off, it sounds like a timpani when tuned low. Tuned mid-range, it is surprisingly crisp and sensitive. This drum is designed for mid and low tuning, though. In my humble opinion.
I can vouch for the Oriollo cast bronze drums. I got a "Dictator", cast Oribronze, a few years back and I love that thing. The damn thing weighs a ton and you can hear it in the next area code but talk about a great sound! I put die cast hoops on mine and I have it tuned to a medium tension and it fits about any genre I've tried it with. It's too heavy for gigging. Besides, I wouldn't want that nice a drum on a club stage anyway. For studio use it's perfect. Oh yeah, it really likes brushes.

I can vouch for the Oriollo cast bronze drums. I got a "Dictator", cast Oribronze, a few years back and I love that thing. The damn thing weighs a ton and you can hear it in the next area code but talk about a great sound! I put die cast hoops on mine and I have it tuned to a medium tension and it fits about any genre I've tried it with. It's too heavy for gigging. Besides, I wouldn't want that nice a drum on a club stage anyway. For studio use it's perfect. Oh yeah, it really likes brushes.

Agreed, I've got the only 14x7.25" Bellmaker in existence (I suspect the OP's 15x6.5 may be unique too) with cast bronze hoops, it's a monster thing.

Back