Thinking outside of 'sticking patterns' - Inspired by Casey Scheuerell

Grumpyone1

Good day to everyone.

So the reason I am making this topic is because I got inspired by the book "Stickings & Orchestrations" by Casey Scheuerell, it's an approach I hadn't seen before but really liked the idea of not thinking exclusively in terms of "licks of sticking patterns".

My 2 questions are: -

1) Did anyone take this further with their own ideas, if so please share?

2) Does anyone actually know of any other ways of building vocabulary without thinking in terms of sticking patterns apart from the method shown here in this book?

Some may find these rather simple but it intrigued me and I really found it helped using Casey's system and reading the rhythmic notes to memorise the phrases rather than just staring at the strings of patterns.

Maybe you can help me out and explain other ways you used or how you expanded it further? I've got the basic idea but still not quite sure how to go about expanding it with my own thoughts... the rhythmic lines he picks to then build the phrases are they out of Syncopation?

Thanks for any help anyway in advance.

Good day to everyone.

So the reason I am making this topic is because I got inspired by the book "Stickings & Orchestrations" by Casey Scheuerell, it's an approach I hadn't seen before but really liked the idea of not thinking exclusively in terms of "licks of sticking patterns".

My 2 questions are: -

1) Did anyone take this further with their own ideas, if so please share?

2) Does anyone actually know of any other ways of building vocabulary without thinking in terms of sticking patterns apart from the method shown here in this book?

Some may find these rather simple but it intrigued me and I really found it helped using Casey's system and reading the rhythmic notes to memorise the phrases rather than just staring at the strings of patterns.

Maybe you can help me out and explain other ways you used or how you expanded it further? I've got the basic idea but still not quite sure how to go about expanding it with my own thoughts... the rhythmic lines he picks to then build the phrases are they out of Syncopation?

Thanks for any help anyway in advance.

That book is great. A lot of these types of exercises (i.e., starting with a rhythmic line, and using that as the basis for orchestrations) originated with Alan Dawson, who applied them to Ted Reed's book Syncopation. Casey Scheuerell studied with Dawson, and I know that's where at least some of the exercises in his book originated. There are many books and other learning tools that explore this idea; here are some of my favorites:

The Drummer's Complete Vocabulary as Taught by Alan Dawson, by John Ramsey (this details many of the numerous ways Alan Dawson applied these ideas to Syncopation)

Syncopated Rolls for the Modern Drummer, by Jim Blackley (Jim's whole book--first published around 1961--is based around this idea)

Advanced Concepts, by Kim Plainfield (many of the concepts in Plainfield's book--especially in the last third of it) explore these ideas)

Drumming Kairos, by Claus Hessler (DVD) (on this DVD--which comes with a lengthy accompanying pdf file with exercises--Claus demonstrates many examples of what he calls "Reverse Syncopation," which involves applying rudiments to the rhythmic exercises in Syncopation)

Ed

Back