Thinking about another snare: TAMA SLP LAL 145

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Yes it does. The SLP snares all seem very well made, and this one sounds great too. A bit like a Ludwig 400...

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
That snare is IMO really great for jazz (!), funk and pop. I have that one and it sounds very very similar to the good old Luddi IMO, but is way better built (much better strainer). If you can get it, buy it. You won't regret it, I guess. That snare got great reviews everywhere - for a reason. A gem if you ask me.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
That snare is IMO really great for jazz (!), funk and pop. I have that one and it sounds very very similar to the good old Luddi IMO, but is way better built (much better strainer). If you can get it, buy it. You won't regret it, I guess. That snare got great reviews everywhere - for a reason. A gem if you ask me.
Thanks for tip Wave, I should have bought it when I had the chance. A local guy had one up for sale for $180. Barely used too. It was about the time I bought my Panther kit so money was a bit tight right then. I'll keep an eye out for one on sale.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
They're still available stateside but I think the price has actually gone up on them. They were at $299.US early summer but now I'm seeing them around $345-369. Supply and demand I guess.

RickP

Gold Member
Tama has some real gems in both their SLP and Soundworks lines. Aluminum is a great material for snare drums. It can be crisp or fat, dry or ringy. Really versatile.

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
Both the Aluminum and the Vintage Steel models are discontinued. Funny because it always seemed to me they were among the most popular in the range!

jbonzo1

Silver Member
Can't go wrong with a beaded aluminum shell. No matter who makes it. The Pearl Sensitones are nice and they show up used on ebay often. The SLP drums, not so much.