Thinking about “normal” ride….

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I’m super happy with that 24” Paiste Masters Thin Ride, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking I should have some kind of generic ride for those bands that may not be hip to the dark roar I like personally.

I was thinking of trying a 22” Paiste 2002 Ride. Just the regular ride. Any of you Paiste regular ride users here? How well does that cymbal function as a washy ride? I know it’ll be brighter with more ping definition, but if I want to go “Merseybeat” with it, how does it sound for that?

I fear if I got a 22” Giant Beat, it’ll just be more like the Masters I already have. What say the community?

20" of something +/-
suggestion)
20's are just fun, and fast.
I'd pick a 20-something
quick and out-of-the-way

Last edited:
After using a 24" Giant Beat for many years, I also wanted to have a what I would call a "normal" ride. I went with the 22" 2002 Ride.

I haven't played out with this cymbal yet, but right now it is what I thought it would be, a more "traditional" rock ride sound with that Paiste mojo. Great bell too. My terminology is lacking, but I think it does what you're looking for.

I can't really speak to the Merseybeat qualities...

I don't currently own a 22" 2002, but it is probably just what you're thinking of. They are pretty pingy, but if you lay into the edge they don't sound real gongy. They'll open up to crash-ride if pressed.

I don't currently own a 22" 2002, but it is probably just what you're thinking of. They are pretty pingy, but if you lay into the edge they don't sound real gongy. They'll open up to crash-ride if pressed.
I think I’ll order one this week. It’s weird none of the shops around me have one in stock. But I figure that sound Bonham was getting on “The Song Remains the Same” live album with his 24”, should be what the 22” can do too. Sometimes I think extreme low-end wash from the Masters scares band members.

What about a 22” Paiste Traditional Medium light ride? It’s what Jordan uses. Definitely versatile and not as markedly different from what you currently have.

In my opinion the Paiste 2002 22“ Ride is THE definition of a classic ride cymbal. But as already written it‘s rather pingy. My go to ride these days is the Paiste 22“ 2002 Big Beat. Nice „buttery“ ride sound, great bell (not overly loud) and crashes well. IMHO definitely worth checking out.

I haven't tried a 22" yet but my 24" 2002 is the best ride I have ever played. It never loses its composure and has the sweetest ping imaginable.

It takes up some room but the 24" is worth trying if you can get your hands on one.

I think I’ll order one this week. It’s weird none of the shops around me have one in stock. But I figure that sound Bonham was getting on “The Song Remains the Same” live album with his 24”, should be what the 22” can do too. Sometimes I think extreme low-end wash from the Masters scares band members.
Bonham was still using a black label 24" Giant beat on that tour and in the movie! The rest of his cymbals were 2002's.
There's been a lot of research done by master drummer George Fludas (he was also in a recent Rolling stone article), his research is laid out here:

Bonham's use of Giant beats

I’m super happy with that 24” Paiste Masters Thin Ride, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking I should have some kind of generic ride for those bands that may not be hip to the dark roar I like personally.

I was thinking of trying a 22” Paiste 2002 Ride. Just the regular ride. Any of you Paiste regular ride users here? How well does that cymbal function as a washy ride? I know it’ll be brighter with more ping definition, but if I want to go “Merseybeat” with it, how does it sound for that?

I fear if I got a 22” Giant Beat, it’ll just be more like the Masters I already have. What say the community?
I have the 22" 2002 ride and its not too washy unless you ride near the edge of course. I like hitting just below the Bell for as much attack as possible. The cymbal has beautiful smooth tone. It has massive sustain and will ring for 30 seconds and my overhead mics pick it up for probably 15 seconds

Of 2002 rides, I own an 18", 20", 22", and 24". The 22 is my go-to, my favorite. It has a nice balance of ping and wash, and a GREAT bell. Also own the 24" GB, but it washes out in a full band context, especially on a large stage.
Concur! thanks for the feedback about the smaller sizes. Im glad i went with the 22

If you want a 'normal' ride and are not completely stuck on Paiste yet, take a look/listen at the Zildjian K Sweet Ride.

I have regularly used a 22 2oo2 ride. It may be your thing for this application.

Maybe, just maybe, give the 24 2oo2 Big Al Ride a whirl. Thin, big, washy, with definition. Could be a winner. Who knows.

AVH. 🤘

I have regularly used a 22 2oo2 ride. It may be your thing for this application.

Maybe, just maybe, give the 24 2oo2 Big Al Ride a whirl. Thin, big, washy, with definition. Could be a winner. Who knows.

AVH. 🤘
The Big Al Ride is a Giant Beat in 2002 clothes. It’s just as you described, and makes a great crash.

Back