Things you said you'd never do or never own...but you do now! (Music content only)

dmacc_2

I have a few….
  • Never thought I would play anything other than Zildjian. Now I play mostly Paiste.
  • Never thought I would play any other instrument than drums. Now play others.
  • Never thought I would want to quit playing clubs. So long to clubs.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Zildjian Ks - I hadn't evolved to love the warmth. Barring my ride I don't use anything else.

Pearl Drums - Loathed them with a passion because of that tom holder, had a little Midtown and fell in love with it, if had room for another kit, I'd get another one.

petrez

Pearl drums for me as well, as said, the tom mounts had me stay away from them for a long time. But given the price, Masters drums are almost too good to pass up (and the new Sessions as well, a very tempting shell combo), and I don't mind the tomholders as long as they are not mounted to the bassdrum. The Optimounts don't look bad at all when short and mounted to a rack (or stands). They are very stable when you get them into your preferred position.

Mapex drums, used to think of them as inferior drums to all the big brands, but after getting a Saturn kit earlier, they won me over. A lot of high-end kit for the price.

As far as things I said I never would do but eventually did, I can't think of much... Maybe going on a European tour, opening for Six Feet Under, but I guess I never said I would never do that specifically. But yeah, going on tour, living on a bus for almost two weeks, I guess that count for something :)

Last edited:

timmdrum

Silver Member
I never thought I’d switch from Remo to anything else. The day I tried another brand (Evans, Aquarian) was the day I learned that drumheads make a huge difference to the sound of any drum.
Sidebar, or maybe this should require a separate thread- what do you feel those differences are, and/or how much difference is there, when comparing like heads (G1 to Ambassador, for instance)?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I never thought I’d go without rack toms. But here I am, doing it.
Never even thought about not using any rack toms, but now that I think about it, NOPE! That is something that I'll never do! (I'm preparing myself to eat my words someday. But for now . . . . )

And I suppose that the only thing that I've said I would never do was - like a number of others - play in a country band. My mind has always retained the experience I had when I was still a teenager when somehow I was hooked up to practice country music with a couple of old guys, one on bass, the other on guitar. I must have been telegraphing my displeasure pretty clearly, because one of those old gentlemen remarked to me, "Son, I guess this music ain't for you. You think you're too good to play country music. You might as well go join a rock band." Which I did.

Then several years ago a professional country performer hired me and my bass-playing friend - without ever hearing us play - to fill in for his departing drummer and bassist. Literally that night, we got on stage and (tried) to play songs that neither of us had ever heard. My bassist friend was forced to learn the Nashville numbering system during the first break, and I struggled to learn the train beat and the "waltz." Oddly, the next night we kind of "fell" into it and began to enjoy the music. We stayed in that band for several years. And as soon as that one was disbanded, I was asked to play in another, which lasted several more years.

So, something that I swore I would never, ever do, turned into a gig (actually two) that I still treasure to this day. Go figure.

GeeDeeEmm

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Country is a genre I wasn't particularly interested in. I was raised on Motown and Hal Blaine and AM radio. But at the time, 1981, it was the year after after the movie "Urban Cowboy" came out and I got sucked into it, because Country music exploded in my area in a big way. I am so grateful that situation was forced on me. It still serves me to this day on almost every gig I play, the things I learned then. It was still fairly authentic Country music at that time too, and it taught me a lot of the standard songs of the genre.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Sidebar, or maybe this should require a separate thread- what do you feel those differences are, and/or how much difference is there, when comparing like heads (G1 to Ambassador, for instance)?
This was in the late 1990s and the mounted toms on my Sonor birch went from pom-pom to boom-boom when I installed Evans coated G1. For me, it was a very pleasant surprise.

Once I got my Starclassic kit, I began experimenting heads using the 12” mounted tom. I went full circle to clear G1 over clear genera reso. The EC series was a total bust, as I never heard a distinct sonic quality (they’re supposed to reduce harmonics).

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Never even thought about not using any rack toms, but now that I think about it, NOPE! That is something that I'll never do! (I'm preparing myself to eat my words someday. But for now . . . . )
I probably played a dozen shows last year without a rack tom. The only time it gets a little awkward is playing "Come Together," but it's not as bad as you think.

The FIRST time I ever played without a rack tom, our lead singer decides for us to play "In the Air Tonight." I think I laughed my way through "the fill."

Not that I really care, but here are the drummer's set-ups who came before me:

Drummer one: 3-up, 1 down w/double bass pedal
Drummer two: 2 kicks, two up, two down.
Drummer three: 2 up, 2 down w/double bass pedal

None of these guys are bad at what they do. I guess my approach is different though.

Last edited:

MrTheOne

Never thought I’d be making a living as a musician, but a little over two years later here I am. Mostly I have to credit my wife, she’s the one people are paying to see, but being her full time drummer and touring the continent hopefully the world before long, isn’t a bad life at all.

Never thought I’d own my “dream kit,” but just got it in January. It looks and sounds beautiful and is a completely different experience than the entry level kits I’m used to playing.

Never thought I’d share a stage with some of the musicians I’ve met over the last two years. Still blows my mind. I doubt any of them would remember me. Still...

bigbang

Pioneer Member
Never thought I’d be making a living as a musician, but a little over two years later here I am. Mostly I have to credit my wife, she’s the one people are paying to see, but being her full time drummer and touring the continent hopefully the world before long, isn’t a bad life at all.

Never thought I’d own my “dream kit,” but just got it in January. It looks and sounds beautiful and is a completely different experience than the entry level kits I’m used to playing.

Never thought I’d share a stage with some of the musicians I’ve met over the last two years. Still blows my mind. I doubt any of them would remember me. Still...
That's great !
I never thought I'd see the day that I would STOP touring but as of the last trek....it's going to be my last. I'm just getting too old to run around the continent ( and occasionally Europe ) anymore.
I'll still do some recording of demos, albums and such as they present themselves but the touring has stopped.

doggyd69b

I never thought that my first gig would be in front of thousands of people (after rehearsing in a room so small that we were barely able to fit ourselves and our gear. then that same day (or after that evening at night time) we played at a bar that was so packed they almost had to shut us down.
very few times I had that kind of luck ever again.
Never imagined being able to own multiple drum sets ( I currently own 3).

TJK

When I was a young man, playing drums in my first band, I always joked that I had a nightmare...that I woke up, middle-aged, playing country music in a bottle club.

Well, here I am, 30 years later, playing in a band that does 30-40% country stuff in the mix, in local Eagles/Elks clubs, and yes...one of the few bottle clubs left in our part of the world. Funny stuff. ;)
Had to look up what a bottle club was lol.

micsmi52003

Never thought I’d own an electronic kit. Growing up in the 80’s I hated them with a passion. I loved the big monster kits that the 80’s rockers were playing. Daughter had a son and still lives with the wife and I. In order to practice until they get out on their own I bought a Simmons SD2000 Kit. I bought the expansion pack to add another floor tom and cymbal. The setup mimics my Tama Starclassics...kick, two rack toms, two floor toms, and snare. Hats, two crashes, and a ride. I’m short a few cymbals of course, but it’s been a great alternative for practice since the kit mimics my acoustic kit in setup. I’m pleasantly surprised at the response of the heads compared to an acoustic kit. It lets me practice now with low or high volume, or I can practice virtually silently with headphones.

I thought I’d always play Pearl drums, and Zildjian A-Customs. Bought Tama Rockstar Kit years back and was real pleased with the tone, and from there Starclassics now. I’m a huge Tama fan now. I also always avoided Sabian in my early years and now that’s what I use. I love the AAX series.

Local Oaf

I never, ever thought I would play blues or country....

I never thought that my jazz chops would actually get me into a band. I always considered my self a "practice room" jazz hack...but my band mates must think different

I never thought that I would be roughly 30 years into a career of teaching and playing drums

I never thought that I would have a marimba ensemble of my own students play at my wedding...mostly b/c I never EVER thought I would get married
No punk anticipates getting married. We assume we will probably die young.

roncadillac

Zildjian ZBT hi hats: I've owned sabian HH, Zildjian new beat, and Zildjian special recording hats so I never thought I'd step down. Found an 'almost new' 13" pair on reverb for $30 shipped and I have been really enjoying them. I always found all of the above hats a bit too loud and the reduced volume and complexity of the zbt line lends a very simple and pleasing sound.

Pearl Drums: I was always a Tama guy and in my earlier teen years even trashed on pearl quite a bit. I recently picked up a midtown kit and it blows me away, especially the kick and floor tom, and the bag set is super high quality and convenient.

Evans Drumheads: my first 14-15 years playing drums I exclusively played Remo, all my hero's played Remo so it was the only option. After some regular issues with Remo, great service from Evans, and quality heads ever since I can confidently say I'm not looking back. I'm now on about 4-5 years exclusively using Evans.