Things you said you'd never do or never own...but you do now! (Music content only)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I thought this might be fun!

Have you said "I'll never own [random piece of gear]" or "I'll never play [a certain genre of music]"? Or maybe you've said something like "I'll always play [certain kind of music]" or "I'll never get rid of [random piece of gear]"? I know I got my fair share.

Here are some of mine:

I never thought I'd play anything but Christian-based music (I play a crap-ton of other stuff now).
I never thought I'd play outside of a church or Christian-based event or venue.
I never thought I'd sell my Taylor acoustic.
I never thought I'd like, listen to, and play country music.
I remember thinking that Zildjian A Customs were the best cymbal ever, and if I ever got a set of those, that would be the end-all, be-all.
I thought my Pork Pie USA drum set would be my last set ever.

How about you? What are some things you said you'd never own or do (musically speaking), but you do now?

Jml

-Never thought I’d be good enough to be in a band and play a gig (apparently I am, and have played multiple gigs, with more booked)
-Never thought I’d ever go back to church (lapsed Catholic who went to catholic schools) - I now play drums in TWO churches every Sunday.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I never thought I'd own:
A cymbal stack. Didn't like them when I first heard them, but they grew on me over time.

I never thought I'd play:
Country. I'm a rockabilly guy that has played ska, rock and a bit of metal. Country never crossed my mind until I covered for a buddy in a top 40 country band. I found it fun & very "meat and potatoes" playing which is good for me.

Local Oaf

I never thought I'd own:
A drum set. I could play halfway decently, but never owned one of my own. I wanted to for twenty years, but just never pulled the trigger. Finally at 35, I did it and love playing so much.

BruceW

When I was a young man, playing drums in my first band, I always joked that I had a nightmare...that I woke up, middle-aged, playing country music in a bottle club.

Well, here I am, 30 years later, playing in a band that does 30-40% country stuff in the mix, in local Eagles/Elks clubs, and yes...one of the few bottle clubs left in our part of the world. Funny stuff. ;)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I never, ever thought I would play blues or country....

I never thought that my jazz chops would actually get me into a band. I always considered my self a "practice room" jazz hack...but my band mates must think different

I never thought that I would be roughly 30 years into a career of teaching and playing drums

I never thought that I would have a marimba ensemble of my own students play at my wedding...mostly b/c I never EVER thought I would get married

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've always embraced growth in terms of gear and styles, anything new to me just came with the territory of being a drummer as far as I was concerned. However, I did eventually make a change that seemed foreign to me. About 7 years ago, after decades of making multiple trips with my drums in bags and a single, heavy trap case for all hardware and cymbals, I split up the hardware, pedal & seat, and cymbals into three bags. And I bought a cart! This not only made loading (and storing) my gear simpler, but also let me make a single trip in and out of the gig.

I guess part of my resistance for so long was out of habit, and partly as my younger self, a weighty trap case wasn't a big deal to hump in & out of my vehicle. Having a cart seemed like a needless expense, and another piece of gear to set-up, fold-down, and store. But the instant I made the change, I realized it was for the better! As for storing the cart, it stays open and extended as-is, and slips in & out of my car, where it also lives. There have also been a few occasions where having the cart with me at all times came in handy. :)

Bermuda

Lee-Bro

I've always embraced growth in terms of gear and styles, anything new to me just came with the territory of being a drummer as far as I was concerned. However, I did eventually make a change that seemed foreign to me. About 7 years ago, after decades of making multiple trips with my drums in bags and a single, heavy trap case for all hardware and cymbals, I split up the hardware, pedal & seat, and cymbals into three bags. And I bought a cart! This not only made loading (and storing) my gear simpler, but also let me make a single trip in and out of the gig.

I guess part of my resistance for so long was out of habit, and partly as my younger self, a weighty trap case wasn't a big deal to hump in & out of my vehicle. Having a cart seemed like a needless expense, and another piece of gear to set-up, fold-down, and store. But the instant I made the change, I realized it was for the better! As for storing the cart, it stays open and extended as-is, and slips in & out of my car, where it also lives. There have also been a few occasions where having the cart with me at all times came in handy. :)

Bermuda
I'd be interested to know what bag you're using for the pedal & seat. I've considered splitting those from the hardware case but haven't found a bag I like.

bermuda

Staff member
I'd be interested to know what bag you're using for the pedal & seat. I've considered splitting those from the hardware case but haven't found a bag I like.
I'm using a tom bag, probably 10x14. It's a little floppy, but the saddle seat fits perfectly and gives the bag some shape and stability. Seat goes in top-side down (pole bracket pointing up) and the pedal lays down nicely on that. There's also room for my tambourine and cowbell w/L-arm.

Bermuda

Macarina

Silver Member
I told my young self to never let Disco take hold. Just hold out and remain true to real music. This is just a FAD.
Wellllll, today, some of that Disco is just just too fun.

I'm still holding out on Rap though.

Lee-Bro

I'm using a tom bag, probably 10x14. It's a little floppy, but the saddle seat fits perfectly and gives the bag some shape and stability. Seat goes in top-side down (pole bracket pointing up) and the pedal lays down nicely on that. There's also room for my tambourine and cowbell w/L-arm.

Bermuda
Good idea. I'll have to experiment with mine and see about ordering an extra tom bag. I presume your seat base is in your hardware case then.

wraub

Me?
This.

I never thought I'd own:
A drum set. I could play halfway decently, but never owned one of my own. I wanted to for twenty years, but just never pulled the trigger. Finally at 35, I did it and love playing so much.

I never thought I would use "rods", but I did. I liked them for the situation I was in.
I never thought I'd play country, but then I did. I kinda like it, I listen to it sometimes now.
I never thought I'd ever stop playing, but things have happened that prevent me from playing. Once I figured out a way to get back to it, I will.

bermuda

Staff member
I presume your seat base is in your hardware case then.
Yep. I also use older Ludwig flatbase cymbal & snare stands to save weight & space, and Yamaha Crosstown hat stand for its low weight, and it all goes in a mic-stand bag by OnStage ($35 at Sam Ash) :)

Bermuda

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Never thought I’d own a thin washy ride cymbal. Now I own two Armands - a 20 and a 21. Might try a sweet ride one day.
But I still prefer Mediums and Pings for rock and pop.

cbphoto

Gold Member
After selling my first and only kit in 1982, I thought I’d never own another. That was a very depressing day.

Once I started playing in churches, I thought never play rock again.

I never thought I’d own and play Paiste cymbals. “Too expensive”, “made from sheets, not ingots”, “too brittle sounding”.

I never thought I’d switch from Remo to anything else. The day I tried another brand (Evans, Aquarian) was the day I learned that drumheads make a huge difference to the sound of any drum.

Old Dog new Cans

Uhm, Paiste cymbals! Was a Zildjian die hard through my youth and 20s. That was all I knew. I had a friend or two with Paistes. . .

I also thought I'd never own another kit. Sold EVERYTHING in '02 in order to pay rent. Heart-breaking.

I never imagined building drums. BUT, I love that more than playing. Wish I knew that 30 years ago.