Things others drummers do that annoy you?

Kg_lee

I just think it's odd how some drummers bounce when they play. To me it looks like they get anymore out of hand they are gonna fall off their throne. I can see getting into playing a song I just don't get the bouncing.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I just think it's odd how some drummers bounce when they play.
You'll love this one in that case. Check out the drummer in the middle.....some serious bouncing for some serious drumming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6b_nBM-V8

:)

As for the question at hand......I don't really get annoyed by anything another player does with repect to the way he/she play their instrument. I get more annoyed by unprofessionalism, a poor attitude or a deliberate misrepresentation of a players skillset.....and that extends far beyond just us drummers.

alparrott

Platinum Member
As for the question at hand......I don't really get annoyed by anything another player does with repect to the way he/she play their instrument. I get more annoyed by unprofessionalism, a poor attitude or a deliberate misrepresentation of a players skillset.....and that extends far beyond just us drummers.
+infinity. I figure that getting paid to play is much less part of being a "professional" drummer than how you approach your job. I see plenty of drummers doing things that I wouldn't do, but don't subtract from their musicality. Then I see poor behavior, poor attitude, etc. and it gives not just drummers, but "professional musicians" in general a bad name.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
You'll love this one in that case. Check out the drummer in the middle.....some serious bouncing for some serious drumming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6b_nBM-V8

:)

yep to both above.

Talk about insane talent in that video!!!!!

Kg_lee

What about people who can do crazy stick tricks but their playing needs major work. I'm not good at spinning or throwing my sticks but I can play my drums.

Wopsey

Totally agree with Kg, I absolutely hate when people spend more time doing tricks with their sticks than making sweet fills, or work on that perfect timing. You wanna show you can spin your stick, cool, do it once or twice, no need to do the same damn trick 16 times in a song.

The only other thing that really 'annoys' me is when a (usually) cocky drummer goes out of his way to try to prove they're better than you, or can do stuff you can't. It's even better when said drummer plays a completely different style you do.

I think drumming is a hobby for all of us, but we shouldn't let it get too competitive. Sure, it's great to challenge yourself and strive for something, but as soon as it turns into a pissing contest we're no longer helping anyone.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Like guitarists that constantly noodle during rehearsal, I don't like drummers who are always practicing. I get the dedication to be always working on something, but the noodling I don't get. When I'm on a gig, you hardly hear a note from anyone on the bandstand until the gig starts - we figure we're not there to practice stuff, it's time to work, and the client hired us to play from such-and-such time to the end, not noodle around.

If everyone's being a pro and are always on-time, and there's no egos or personal issues cropping up at the gig, I'm generally happy with musicians as a whole. But once you stop 'knowing your role', then it starts to bug me.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
There's one drummer who really irritates me at times. She'll get unfocused and make stupid errors or go off into drumland and not listen wholistically.

It's very annoying when she does that.

diegobxr

Silver Member
I can't stand:

1) Drummers who screw your/their hardware and drums. Overtightening everything, changing tom angles brutally without loosening them, hitting toms against bass drums, snares against toms and cymbal stands against everything.

2) Outrageous tom angles.

3) Pressing the stick against the head in every snare hit (no rebound).

4) Not leaving a second of silence between songs in rehearsal.

5) Drummers that when the sound guy tells them "ok, play something", they start playing 200bpm 16ths on every drum, out of control. :l

... And.. well, I think that's it for now.

Cheers

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I remember a gig I did once filling in for a friend of mine's band's drummer (nice apostrophes, me! Why, thank you.)

Anyway, there were two other bands, both of which were really terrible as I recall. One of them was composed of 30-somethings who all seemed as if they'd just picked up their instruments the previous month or so, playing music that was almost remarkable in its grey mediocrity. The drummer stood out though by being probably the worst player I've ever seen...not so much just technical inadequacy, but musical inadequacy, if you see what I mean...he communicated his awfulness from somewhere deep inside very effectively. Almost an anti-musician in that sense, and so quite artistic really.

That wasn't what annoyed me though, what annoyed me was he set up the kit left-handed in his own bizarre way, and after having completed this truly appalling set, just got up and left without putting anything back! If he'd been Ian Paice I would have forgiven him, but come on! So I had to set up the whole kit almost from scratch before I could play. It wasn't even as if it was his kit! That was annoying at the time.

joeysnare

Silver Member
im totally guilty of bouncing when i play lol, a couple things that bug me is when drummers let drums hit together, let cymbals contact each other ( 2 crashes to close together), and use a half roll of duct tape on everything. it just makes my hands twitch, its like "can i please help you? ill move drums, ill tune the damn things for you, just please let me help!"

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
There's one drummer who really irritates me at times. She'll get unfocused and make stupid errors or go off into drumland and not listen wholistically.

It's very annoying when she does that.
She will get better if she works at it. Now go practice will you.

Big Foot

Silver Member
It's not so much the drummer, we all have our things, but I hate seeing a kit, owned by a "drummer", that looks like crap - so I guess it is the drummer. I'm not talking the quality of the kit, it could a beginner kit or DW's.
It's the beat-to-death skins, with duct tape and stuff, the dirty dust encrusted lugs, the stickers on the finish and the weird angles. It's like they don't treat it as if it was a musical instrument. The only time I see guitars like that the guy is trying to be cool but he's probably got new stings and is concerned w/the sound.

Boomka

Platinum Member
I can't stand:

1) Overtightening everything
This is one thing that is not petty. The times I've hurt my hands or had to get out tools to simply adjust a stand in a rehearsal space... In nearly 30 years of playing, I've never once had a cymbal stand suddenly collapse or start to sink with the wingnuts under a "normal", moderate tension.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i HATE it from deepest within when drums throw and do tricks with their sticks
thats something i can not stand
me too! there's a band in my town where the drummer twirls his stick after *every* backbeat. i don't mind a little stick twirling but that guy makes me vomit.