things must be getting closer to normal...

BruceW

As in, up till now, all our gigs have been so well received. Everyone was simply so happy to be back together, in public, enjoying the night out, that those gigs were all feel-good nights. Partying, dancing, having a great, loud night.

This past weekend, we had a night like used to happen every now and again, it just wasn't a big, happy success. It wasn't awful, it was just...bleh. We were set up on a stage outside the venue, like we were at the same venue last year. Last year, we had to do it that way, indoor gigs weren't allowed. This year, the venue had already put the stage in place before the restrictions had been lifted, and they were trying to keep the entertainment outside while the weather is nice, since people seem to like to hang around outdoor, smoking, etc.

Well...a goodly number ended up inside. (The bar was in there after all, lol) There was a decent number outside, but it just lacked the immediacy of an indoor gig.

I hate going home feeling blah about a gig, but at least the venue seemed happy with us.

As I said, more like "normal"...every now and again you're gonna have one of those nights.

I've had some crummy gigs over the past month or so, but I just keep in mind that there are guys out there who would beat me down in order to do what I do, so I can't complain too much! :)

Is there audience engagement? Maybe your singer should work up some stage patter. Right before a well-known KISS song, I stand up and say, "I was talking to someone backstage and he said you people like to drink a lot of VODKA and ORANGE JUICE! Well, I’ll tell you something: when you’re down in the dumps, and you need something to bring you up, there’s only one thing that’s going to do it the way you want it. What’s that?," I say, and it always gets a reaction. "I can't hear you!!!"

Then we kick in to "Christine Sixteen." Works every time. People dancing, singing. It's great.

Is there audience engagement? Maybe your singer should work up some stage patter. Right before a well-known KISS song, I stand up and say, "I was talking to someone backstage and he said you people like to drink a lot of VODKA and ORANGE JUICE! Well, I’ll tell you something: when you’re down in the dumps, and you need something to bring you up, there’s only one thing that’s going to do it the way you want it. What’s that?," I say, and it always gets a reaction. "I can't hear you!!!"

Then we kick in to "Christine Sixteen." Works every time. People dancing, singing. It's great.
Awesome song.... I'd love to get that into our catalog

Normal? Not sure, but here’s the sky in Georgia this afternoon. Azure must be the color of heaven and nirvana.

Attachments

• 48AEC497-E3FF-4CCF-BD2A-0F19A32FBDDC.jpeg
    48AEC497-E3FF-4CCF-BD2A-0F19A32FBDDC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

No Cold Gin?

Where are you based? I'm still a bit hesitant here in London (UK) to gig... I have a couple of functions for July, but fear that the general sentiment, even though restrictions might loosen up by then, people won't continue to be cautious. I'm all up for lockdown to ease and things to return to normality, but can't ignore that people can be careless and selfish...

In any case, I'm happy for you that you're able to gig and enjoy playing live again! :)

Where are you based? I'm still a bit hesitant here in London (UK) to gig... I have a couple of functions for July, but fear that the general sentiment, even though restrictions might loosen up by then, people won't continue to be cautious. I'm all up for lockdown to ease and things to return to normality, but can't ignore that people can be careless and selfish...

In any case, I'm happy for you that you're able to gig and enjoy playing live again! :)

I'm in Bangor, Maine, which is the central part of the state. We had much of our summer already booked, primarily outdoor venues, before that restriction was lifted in the late spring here. Last year, outdoor gigs were the ONLY possible gigs, this year we can do indoor gigs, and have a few booked since the restrictions were lifted, but still will be outdoors for much of the summer. (Hopefully the weather will cooperate!)

Here's hoping Covid-related things don't go backwards in the fall, and we can continue to book indoor stuff as the weather gets colder again.

Paul Stanley banter is the best banter.

A blah gig is worth 2 happily successful unemployment checks...sometimes literally

Congradulations on the slow grind back to normal!

Back