Thicker Head for 6.5” Aluminium Philharmonic

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
I’ve got a 14x6.5” Aluminium Pearl Philharmonic. I love it. It came with a Remo Diplomat Renaissance. It’s a very high quality head but I don’t like it.

it produces a dry, papery sound that, while very articulate, lacks the power I am looking for.

What heads can I consider that will provide a slightly stronger, more full bodied sound, without ruining the point of having an orchestral drum?

EDIT: Thanks for the responses so far. I perhaps should clarify, this snare is for solo performance in the modern rudimental style, and NOT drum kit playing.

Last edited:

IBitePrettyHard

I’ve got a 14x6.5” Aluminium Pearl Philharmonic. I love it. It came with a Remo Diplomat Renaissance. It’s a very high quality head but I don’t like it.

it produces a dry, papery sound that, while very articulate, lacks the power I am looking for.

What heads can I consider that will provide a slightly stronger, more full bodied sound, without ruining the point of having an orchestral drum?
You can never go wrong with an Ambassador.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I agree. Regular coated Ambassador is a great baseline snare head.

If you want to keep a bit of the "faux calfskin" warmth Aquarian's Modern Vintage heads are great and aren't as dry/brittle-sounding as a Fiberskyn or Renaissance.

IBitePrettyHard

Evans UV1 all day
I kinda sorta disagree? Orchestral players are super picky about their snare sound, everything has to sound just right. They want ultra-sensitive response. The UV1s are just as sensitive, but they tend to have slightly less attack or definition than a G1 or Ambassador IMHO.

I'm kinda splitting hairs here though, the difference is very slight. You have to listen very very close to tell the difference. For drumset players, it may not matter at all, but for orchestral players, it might.

C.M. Jones

The Coated Ambassador is the snare head for all seasons. Nothing else I've tried comes close. It takes all tunings beautifully, and it's medium-weight, not light-weight, so it holds up better than some might expect.

ToneT

+1 for the Ambassador Coated.
I want to try the Ambassador X, which is a singly-ply 12 mil model.

roncadillac

I kinda sorta disagree? Orchestral players are super picky about their snare sound, everything has to sound just right. They want ultra-sensitive response. The UV1s are just as sensitive, but they tend to have slightly less attack or definition than a G1 or Ambassador IMHO.

I'm kinda splitting hairs here though, the difference is very slight. You have to listen very very close to tell the difference. For drumset players, it may not matter at all, but for orchestral players, it might.
Totally agree with what you said. I missed the orchestral playing part of the OP and just took it as "how to use an orchestra drum for rock/with a kit" kinda post

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Why not give a Remo Ambassador Renaissance a try? They are a little thicker and have a bit more body.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
What does the Renaissance refer to? That seems to be the papery skin material, differentiating it from the standard coated plastic?

I suspect the Ambassador Renaissance sounds roughly the same as the Diplomat.

would a coated Ambassador be sensitive enough to take advantage of the Philharmonic shell?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Yes, the Renaissance heads are meant to sound more like calfskin. They have a big boost in the midrange but they can sound papery for sure. From the audience a dry and raspy orchestral snare sounds great, but I agree they take some getting used to from the player's perspective, especially if you're used to the wetter and more lively sound of a drum set snare.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Thanks for the insight. Despite it being an orchestral drum, it won’t be used in an orchestra. As I said it’s for solo performance, more in the modern Rudimental style. I need a clear, strong, yet sensitive and articulate modern sound.