Thicker batter = More snare buzz?

Phil A.

I've had ambassador batters on my snares for a few years. Recently I've been trying on some different heads and I've noticed that I get a good amount more buzz with the other ones, all else equal. The ones I've tried are the Evans Calftone, Remo vintage ambassador, and Aquarian modern vintage. All these sound great away from the rack tom but in the stand there's a big snare trail. With the regular ambassador it's there but much more controlled. I've noticed this on both my acrolite and 6.5 supra. Snare wires are 16-strand puresound equalizers and generic 12-strand. Has anyone ever experienced something similar?

C.M. Jones

Not all heads tune up identically. The same tuning that minimizes overtones and buzz with an Ambassador might promote overtones and buzz with another head. Coated Ambassadors are ideal for the way I tune my snare, whereas players who tune differently might achieve better outcomes with other models. If Ambassadors render the results you want, why not stick with them? The Coated Ambassador is the official snare head of Dave Weckl, Stewart Copeland, Neil Peart, and more drummers than I can cite in a month. Its popularity is no accident.

Last edited:

ToneT

Did the pitch of your resonant change when trying out different batters?
Are your wires centered and not crooked-looking at the end clips when engaged?
Interesting, because those Equalizers are claimed to help tame and/or eliminate buzz.

wraub

I just went through a couple of snare drums, changing heads and stuff, and one thing I noticed was that changing the plastic/nylon snare straps to grosgrain ribbon really made a difference in the sympathetic rattling and buzz of these particular drums.
It may not work for you, but it's definitely worth a try, my spool of ribbon was under $1.50 iirc.

Phil A.

Thanks for all the replies

Did the pitch of your resonant change when trying out different batters?
Are your wires centered and not crooked-looking at the end clips when engaged?
Interesting, because those Equalizers are claimed to help tame and/or eliminate buzz.
Yes I left everything the same and tried my best to get the wires perfectly centered. The Equalizers did do a pretty good job shortening the buzz, it's just it worked better with the ambassador than the others.

I just went through a couple of snare drums, changing heads and stuff, and one thing I noticed was that changing the plastic/nylon snare straps to grosgrain ribbon really made a difference in the sympathetic rattling and buzz of these particular drums.
It may not work for you, but it's definitely worth a try, my spool of ribbon was under $1.50 iirc.
I'll have to try that. I haven't had good luck in the past with string but I think that's because my knots were never right. I'll try to figure out the proper way to do it.

Not all heads tune up identically. The same tuning that minimizes overtones and buzz with an Ambassador might promote overtones and buzz with another head. Coated Ambassadors are ideal for the way I tune my snare, whereas players who tune differently might achieve better outcomes with other heads. If Ambassadors render the results you want, why not stick with them? The Coated Ambassador is the official snare head of Dave Weckl, Stewart Copeland, Neil Peart, and more drummers than I can cite in a month. Its popularity is no accident.
That's a great point I hadn't thought of. I tuned all the heads to roughly the same pitch but maybe I'll experiment a bit more with the tuning. And if it doesn't work out, the ambassador is always there.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I’m guessing the thicker batter has a lower resonant frequency compared to an ambassador. Either tune the batter higher or raise/lower the offending tom.