They are going to be big

Anyone in the UK remember these?
I was convinced they were destined for big things - or did I just have a crush?
The Rhythm Sisters - on Friday Night Live.
(They appear to have a grudge against American Boys for reasons unknown)

I'm thinking some young bands that shredded it out during the gov shutdown will be breaking out.

I saw very early Talking Heads back when I used to watch Saturday Night Live. I had never heard anything like that, but I could tell they were talented. Peace and goodwill.

A local home boy Tommy Bolin always had the it thing. He played locally for awhile in Energy and Zephyr. Everyone not just hoped but knew he was gonna happen. Went to Denver..later recorded the Billy Cobham Spectrum album..then onto replacing Walsh in James Gang..eventually landing the gig with Deep Purple. Every band he was a part of just excelled in every way.

The la's are one of my fav bands ever. They should have been huge. they could have been bigger than the beatles. But drugs and the main singer songwriters own ocd kinda ruined them. A real pity. They had a really rare gift and squandered it.

You have any right or wrong gut feelings about any band or bands?
In the mid-to-late 80s, I worked in a record store. And every month we had a playlist that--depending upon how strict the store's manager was--you had to play, and nothing else. There would be about a half dozen albums each month that the store wanted to push, in a variety of genres. Some of it was truly great—it's how I discovered The Replacements, for instance—but in many cases, there was a reason it was being pushed hard. I mean, put it this way: Madonna or Springsteen or Van Halen or Prince were pretty much never on the playlist, as they were going to sell anyway.

But in my area, at least, while "Sultans of Swing" was on AOR several times a day, little to nothing else by Dire Straits was. (Maybe "Romeo and Juliet"?) I know that might seem strange to our British or European members, but after their debut, they did fine in the States, but were nowhere near as popular as (according to my Portuguese sister-in-law) as they were on your side of the puddle.

So when they had a new album coming out, no one I knew cared. And then I heard "Money for Nothing" for the first time and by the time the guitar riff had played once through and Omar Hakim's drums kicked in, I was telling everyone I knew that it was going to be a smash.

So. Not a band I knew was going to be huge, but a record I knew was going to be.

On the other hand, I thought Michael Jackson's BAD wouldn't sell well, so.

Last edited:
Bloodline, but Joe Bonnamassa was the only 1 to hit big.
Screaming Cheetah Wheelies, but it was prob the genre that kept them from being bigger.

Screaming Cheetah Wheelies !!! Hadn’t thought of or heard from them in forever . Saw them open for the Allman Bros a very long time ago in early 90’s ? Maybe 91/92. They were awesome ! Thought they’d go places 🤷🏻‍♂️. Wonder what became of them 🤔. Gotta go search them up now .

The la's are one of my fav bands ever. They should have been huge. they could have been bigger than the beatles. But drugs and the main singer songwriters own ocd kinda ruined them. A real pity. They had a really rare gift and squandered it.

I absolutely agree with you.

The La's were outstanding.

What a shame that they didn't last.

I think he was a very troubled guy.......I don't think any of them really did much when they broke up.

I also think The Stone Roses are another example.

They were screaming along on the back of Fool's Gold.......then pffffft......all over Red Rover.

Anyone in the UK remember these?
I was convinced they were destined for big things - or did I just have a crush?
The Rhythm Sisters - on Friday Night Live.
(They appear to have a grudge against American Boys for reasons unknown)
I’d say you had a crush.

Screaming Cheetah Wheelies !!! Hadn’t thought of or heard from them in forever . Saw them open for the Allman Bros a very long time ago in early 90’s ? Maybe 91/92. They were awesome ! Thought they’d go places 🤷🏻‍♂️. Wonder what became of them 🤔. Gotta go search them up now .
Leader has been doing gospel and won a Grammy, and a reunion happened last year and might include some dates this year.

Mike Farris is still recording and releasing stuff. Gospel Blues. He's still good.

I absolutely agree with you.

The La's were outstanding.

What a shame that they didn't last.

I think he was a very troubled guy.......I don't think any of them really did much when they broke up.

I also think The Stone Roses are another example.

They were screaming along on the back of Fool's Gold.......then pffffft......all over Red Rover.
By any chance with the la's are you familiar with their kitchen and crescent tapes? And all the rarities and b sides, multiple versions of their album when they were trying to make it. You've gotta hear them all if you haven't already. The official album makes them sound like a great rock band with hints of genius, it's all the other stuff that's like next next level genius. I kinda feel the same way about the stone roses, but they at least got about the amount of recognition they deserved.

Last edited:
By any chance with the la's are you familiar with their kitchen and crescent tapes? And all the rarities and b sides, multiple versions of their album when they were trying to make it. You've gotta hear them all if you haven't already. The official album makes them sound like a great rock band with hints of genius, it's all the other stuff that's like next next level genius. I kinda feel the same way about the stone roses, but they at least got about the amount of recognition they deserved.

Let's Go For a Ride is the only song I liked on those tapes......and remember.

He just had "Top 10" all over his voice.

Beautiful guitar playing.

Let's Go For a Ride is the only song I liked on those tapes......and remember.

He just had "Top 10" all over his voice.

Beautiful guitar playing.
The crescent tape is probably the weakest material I heard out of Lee but it's still lightyears ahead of most imo. Particularly liked minefield, raindance, open your mind and let's go for a ride. But then the kitchen tape has fishing net, Robin Hood, robberman, tears in the rain, she came down all instant classics imo. I've often wondered that nobody has tried to make proper studio level recordings of some of these songs considering Lee never will. I would try but I know nobody who could do the vocals justice, and I'm talentless at the sound engineering department

Hootie...... their first song was out "Hold my Hand" and they were doing a club tour and my band was one of the opening acts (my old college band)......we stayed for their show and I was like "these guys have a chance"......they weren't over the top impressive musically but they had solid song writing and pop enough sound that they would get radio play. I was not wrong.

OAR - Was introduced to them in the late 90s or early 2000s through hearing a live recording......their studio work was "meh" and I don't think they were recorded very well. Their live show was markedly better and had a great vibe and great rich sound. With the addition of the sax etc. they had all the elements........again I wasn't wrong

Dream Theater - I jumped on that bandwagon very early and then jumped off when everyone else jumped on.

Fates Warning......I was not correct on these guys. I thought they would be in the same category as Dream Theater

God Street Wine.......thought they were musically very skilled when we opened for them and thought they would do more.

I only did that with one band, Survivor. When I heard "Poor Man's Son", I heard the potential, making me the world's worst A&R guy. One pick in 40 years!

Dan

Back