There's only one First Gig Ever ...

Yamaha Rider

Platinum Member
- so here it is.
LONG time coming - the first band was destroyed by Covid lockdowns - but finally, after years of open mics, posting dubious witticisms and picking up endless pearls of wisdom on Drummerworld - the first gig for this band and for me.
A relaxed mid week sesh at a nice Falmouth venue with great sound men (felt like a king being properly mic'd up for the 1st time ever)
Very nervous - but what a thrill to play with these musicians.
Go to 6'17" for my fave song?

Last edited:
- so here it is.
LONG time coming - the first band was destroyed by Covid lockdowns - but finally, after years of open mics, posting dubious witticisms and picking up endless pearls of wisdom on Drummerworld - the first gig for this band and for me.
A relaxed mid week sesh at a nice Falmouth venue with great sound men (felt like a king being properly mic'd up for the 1st time ever)
Very nervous - but what a thrill to play with these musicians.
Go to 6'17" for my fave song?
Nicely smashed @Yamaha Rider ! The first one is always a mix of nerves and exhilaration! Well played! Tight little unit you’ve got there, band’s not bad either! :D (y)

Sounds great! Nice job there - wouldn't have known it was your first gig. 😁

Ooh, while I've got Drummerworld's attention for a minute ...
How does the drum fraternity feel about One-Handed Drumming?
On this version of Elvis's A Litle Less Conversation (34.45 in my vid) - the displaced bass drum beat felt easier and cleaner to play without any hat or ride action, so I've just gone with it.
Is this frowned on?

Last edited:
really great to see you play!!! I really like the snare sound too

you are lucky to have video of your first gig!!! Mine was in 82, and there is no permanent record of it other than in my head

On this version of Elvis's A Litle Less Conversation (34.45 in my vid) - the displaced bass drum beat felt easier and cleaner to play without any hat or ride action, so I've just gone with it.
Is this frowned on?
Do what feels right for you mate. If you want to experiment with both hands you can do that too. Frowns are for clowns, they’re not up there doing it are they?! :D (y)

Is this frowned on?
Great job! I'd never know it was your first gig.

Playing one-handed? Sure - it worked for the song. There is no wrong or right if what you're doing works.

Hot on the heels of my first ever gig with a band - is the first ever video I've been in!
Never realised filming a video is just an excuse for a party! 😜
ps. That's not my drumkit - it's a prop!
Don't miss the adjustable wrench...
Edit: This is the correct link!

Last edited:
Back