There's loads of mediocre rock cover bands, then there's-----

They are fantastic. I've never played in cover bands but I'd LOVE to play in this one.

They are fantastic. I've never played in cover bands but I'd LOVE to play in this one.
Jeff, my current band (10 years in) after my hiatus (25 years) is the first cover band I've been a member of. I yearn for original material again, but there's no denying how much I enjoy my current band experience.

Wow. They're fantastic indeed! That tape on the snare drum though. Why not just put a cardboard box on the stand?
Agree, it does look a bit much, but in that board capture, it sounds just fine.

Good gawd... that is amazing.
That's a difficult number to pull off. My band is contemplating using the intro part of this song to run into another song as an opener. Although my band could probably make a half decent job of the full song, the truth is, we'd need additional band members to really deliver it as it is here.

Either way, check out some of the other numbers these guys perform.

Either way, check out some of the other numbers these guys perform.

I’ve been watching all their other stuff. The selection, the quality (sound, video), the musicianship... outstanding and entertaining as hell.

My buddy has been in cover bands for 25 years +. And one thing he has always said, you can find good musicians, but it's nearly impossible to find a great vocalist/singer. The singers MAKE this band. The musicians are great! But if you have a mediocre singer, this group would never work. Really great stuff.

Nowhere to hide on this one - attention to detail / tones, etc = flawless.

I believe they have US dates coming up later in the year.
Wow. Color me impressed.

Wow. Color me impressed.
Difficult to not be impressed Larry - the big sounding ultra open songs are always the biggest challenge.
My buddy has been in cover bands for 25 years +. And one thing he has always said, you can find good musicians, but it's nearly impossible to find a great vocalist/singer. The singers MAKE this band. The musicians are great! But if you have a mediocre singer, this group would never work. Really great stuff.
I mostly agree. Really good players of every / any instrument are difficult enough to find, but singers who can put it out there pitch perfect with absolute authority, are indeed the rarest of all.

This act, to some extent, has it easier than most. These are pro's, there's a paycheck, and the budget clearly allows for paying for quality. Much more difficult to attract the right people when the remuneration is modest, & the primary benefit is enjoyment of the achievement.

Agree, it does look a bit much, but in that board capture, it sounds just fine.

That snare almost certainly has a sample mixed with it. Same for kick and toms. Not hard to do, in post. Such is the way of things, particularly on that level.

That snare almost certainly has a sample mixed with it. Same for kick and toms. Not hard to do, in post. Such is the way of things, particularly on that level.
Yep, there's a trigger on the snare. I'm usually against triggers, but in this instance it's pretty much necessary to match the snare sounds of all those hit recordings.

y3RZcJ8.png

Yep, there's a trigger on the snare. I'm usually against triggers, but in this instance it's pretty much necessary to match the snare sounds of all those hit recordings.

y3RZcJ8.png

It's probably more about ease of mixing, than it is about re-creating certain snare sounds. All the videos have the same snare tone, plus or minus some reverb. Mixing drums in a studio is difficult enough. Mixing live drums adds the challenge of bleed from amps, people jumping around, errors in performance, etc., which no amount of gating and EQ can fix.

Dang Andy the list of Classic rock these guys nail is amazing. Sorry I haven't had time to reply cause I've been checking them out since LOL (no actually my grandchild was visiting this weekend :) They got the vocals and musicianship-and a nice light show too. I note they get the Led out too.

I didn't notice that, but nor was I looking for it. Whatever they're doing, it works.

When they tour, they're pretty condensed on dates, so I'm suspecting consistency is likely a foundation motivation.

They got the vocals and musicianship
As well as a pro team. It's a show - organised, hired, & promoted as such, and the results speak for themselves. Pretty much impossible to replicate outside of a pro environment, but that doesn't make it any less impressive :)

Saw them live in January...... bought tickets after seeing these videos.
The 'cast' was slightly different - but the calibre was exactly the same.

Saw them live in January...... bought tickets after seeing these videos.
The 'cast' was slightly different - but the calibre was exactly the same.
That's good to hear. Our bass player said the same. It's a production, so I'm not surprised at the rotation of the team. One hell of a high standard irrespective of the advantage of formality / resource.

Even though I've been at this for a very long time, I'm still surprised by some behind the scenes information I pick up from time to time. On a level up again, I was chatting to Yolanda Charles a short while back, & she told me they use a different orchestra / ensemble every few shows on the Hans Zimmer tour. They have their (substantial) core band, but the orchestral players get one short rehearsal with the musical director, usually only a day or so before the show. Sometimes that ensemble will do only one show, sometimes 3 or 4, almost never more than that. Pretty remarkable given the standard & complexity of the performance.

I'd love to catch one of their gigs for sure; definitely a "best of" compilation of... well, classic rock :)

They've had Pete Thorn with them on guitar for these past few months. Absolutely epic player, and a devoted disciple of Eddie Van Halen. He's also a tone chaser by rank, so he'll be nailing every guitar tone nuance of a band like this.

Back