There goes everything

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Quite a bad day, just want to rant some of it off my chest. I had a music practical exam today, it was 50% of my overall music result, and was one of the subjects i wanted to get an A in ( final school exams)

I had to play to 6 songs, backing tracks. The stereo that i used ended up being too quite, I kept losing the beat! At the beginning of the day, the examaner said that she would rarely stop students in the middle of their songs ( 25mins, 6 songs)

I think i got stopped on 4 of the 6 songs........not good :(.....it shows that she thought what i was playing was repititave, and it was because i had to just keep the beat, I could'nt improvise of go in and out of the time becayse i could BARELY hear the record!! I'm an 18year old man who nearly cried when i left on the thought of what that 25mins of bad playing could result in

On the other hand, she was annoyed that she had to do my exam during lunch, maybe she was hurrying me up?? doubt it...

Oh and my first song kept pausing and skipping....what a f*****g day!
The odds are that my hopeful A will be more like a C.....and there goes my A in music overall, hell, there goes my B!

Might not make the points necessary for college....and guess what, im doing music!!

Huh, all done.....ever happen to someone??

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Maybe she wanted it to be softer to see if the students could play within a given dynamic framework.

Jeff

Thaard

Platinum Member
Quite a bad day, just want to rant some of it off my chest. I had a music practical exam today, it was 50% of my overall music result, and was one of the subjects i wanted to get an A in ( final school exams)

I had to play to 6 songs, backing tracks. The stereo that i used ended up being too quite, I kept losing the beat! At the beginning of the day, the examaner said that she would rarely stop students in the middle of their songs ( 25mins, 6 songs)

I think i got stopped on 4 of the 6 songs........not good :(.....it shows that she thought what i was playing was repititave, and it was because i had to just keep the beat, I could'nt improvise of go in and out of the time becayse i could BARELY hear the record!! I'm an 18year old man who nearly cried when i left on the thought of what that 25mins of bad playing could result in

On the other hand, she was annoyed that she had to do my exam during lunch, maybe she was hurrying me up?? doubt it...

Oh and my first song kept pausing and skipping....what a f*****g day!
The odds are that my hopeful A will be more like a C.....and there goes my A in music overall, hell, there goes my B!

Might not make the points necessary for college....and guess what, im doing music!!

Huh, all done.....ever happen to someone??
Can't you just re-take it, if you think it went bad? If theres something wrong with the backingtrack you should atleast try to complain, and maybe have another go at it.

For general exam-playing. Try to relax, learn the songs so well, that you can play them in your sleep. Don't think about "I'm gonna play bad" or "Today I'm gonna play the best ever!"
, you will surely fail. Try to not give a damn about someone judging you, and concentrate on the music.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer. Just remember, something good almost always comes after a fall. I'd go with Thaard & try for another go on the basis of faulty sound gear.

Even if you played to perfection, the chances of it being the examiners version of perfection is slim. The trials of life my friend. Although I know little about you, you sound like a focussed and passionate person to me. Good things will come for sure. Chin up and don't let one setback spoil your achievements to date.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Bummer. Just remember, something good almost always comes after a fall. I'd go with Thaard & try for another go on the basis of faulty sound gear.

Even if you played to perfection, the chances of it being the examiners version of perfection is slim. The trials of life my friend. Although I know little about you, you sound like a focussed and passionate person to me. Good things will come for sure. Chin up and don't let one setback spoil your achievements to date.
Ha, thanks for the pick me up man! I have an entrance test to college on saturday, and there is no backing track.....that should hopefully go well, maybe this set back will push me on!

And the stereo was actually mine! I got it off my old drum teacher...."ah sure, this will definatly be loud enough!"

I tried it out, seemed loud enough....but behind the drums, i was shut out!
Ah well, just have to work really hard at my other subjects to make up....there is always time!

Monica McCoy

If this is the worst thing that happens to you in life, it will be an awesome life.

Today was a lesson in preparedness. A live rehearsal under the conditions of the test would have indicated the stereo had insufficient volume. This is about being a good Boy Scout.

Be early and be prepared. Makes the days easier to get through.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
It can be hard to believe Bos......but, the longer I spend on this planet, the more I'm totally convinced that no-one's entire life comes down to just one moment.

This too shall pass mate. Live, (most importantly) learn and keep forging ahead my friend.

One exam is NOT a measure of ones worthiness or ability to succeed. In fact, it's totally insignificant when measured against an entire lifetime!!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Frustrating for sure, Bos.

I did a grad certificate (based on experience, not prior quals) and I missed out on getting a distinction due to a low mark in my first assignment because I thought university was this place of higher learning that required original work rather than regurgitation. I quickly found out that's only the case if you're doing a doctorate. The consequences of missing out on an overall distinction? Happily, none.

Apart from seeing if you can have another go I'd be wanting to have a chat with the drum teacher, 1) out of curiosity to find out why he thought it would be loud enough for you when it wasn't and, 2) for a refund :)

Travis22

It's no biggie...pretty sure we've all bombed a playing test in some fashion along the way. What I would recommend from now on when playing with a backing track is get some good isolation headphones that you can plug into the stereo. If you can't do this and also have the speakers working, then get a spliter and have your teacher wear a set too. This Makes hearing the songs a lot easier and in most cases you will have to turn down the stereo to hear yourself.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
It's no biggie...pretty sure we've all bombed a playing test in some fashion along the way. What I would recommend from now on when playing with a backing track is get some good isolation headphones that you can plug into the stereo. If you can't do this and also have the speakers working, then get a spliter and have your teacher wear a set too. This Makes hearing the songs a lot easier and in most cases you will have to turn down the stereo to hear yourself.
ya, i did'nt know how to get a splitter, and the odds are that i won't have to play to anymore backing tracks live like that with no headphones!

Ah well, i had a french oral test today and i suppose i made up for the poor music test with a good french one :)