The Unicorn Invasion of Australia: The Aftermath

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I've just got back from Gloryhammer's tour of Australia with pirate drinking band Lagerstein.
I hardly know where to start...there's a lot to tell.

The touring party was as follows:

Gloryhammer:

Angus McFife aka Snake Hands
The Hootsman aka Hoots
Zargothrax
Ser Proletius aka Plum
Ralathor aka Turkleton

Lagerstein:

Cap'n Gregarr
The Immobilizer
The Majestic Beast
Neil Rummy Rackers
Mother Junkst
Ol' Mate Dazzle
Jacob, The Most Feared Pirate of the Caribbean

Crew

Big Dick
Seamus
Tits Tomahawk
Just Max
Salty Pete
Fisheye McCannon

The crowds, whatever their size (they varied considerably depending on location) were all hugely enthusiastic:

Lagerstein like to drink. They're a band formed from people who were tired of not being allowed to drink before/during shows in their other bands. They know how to party. We had trouble keeping up. Their show features a lot of downing of beers, beer bongs, and the phenomenon known as the 'shoey'...drinking a beer out of your shoe, thus.

It was hard not to get caught up in the party spirit, so I had a go at being a pirate at the Dubbo show:

I played the closing number of their set, 'Beer Bong Song', hence the beer bong...I think it went pretty well.

In terms of videos of us, there's only a few online so far...

Anstruther's Dark Prophecy/The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee from Melbourne, otherwise known as the moment each show where I realise I've set my throne at the wrong height...

Wizards/The National Anthem of Unst, also from Melbourne...

Magic Dragon from the Gold Coast show...

...and a fragment of Quest for the Hammer of Glory from Brisbane, the final and greatest night of the tour.

We also had a chance to do a few fun things:

All in all...an unforgettable experience.

My only regret (well, one of them) is that I didn't manage to see any Drummerworld people out there! I missed Grea in Sydney by a matter of minutes, much to my chagrin!

Actually, I also missed my cymbals a lot...I was borrowing some Sabian/Zildjian/Wuhan stuff and it just wasn't the same as my usual Dreams. I also borrowed pedals which was interesting to say the least...used both DW9000s and Trick Bigfoots but never quite got used to them. Anyway, there you go.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely EPIC!

Ben, it's such a buzz to see your journey unfolding. The party vibe looks amazing.

Pity you missed Grea :(

BTW, Gold Coast video link is the wrong show.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Absolutely EPIC!

Ben, it's such a buzz to see your journey unfolding. The party vibe looks amazing.

Pity you missed Grea :(

BTW, Gold Coast video link is the wrong show.
Fixed.

At many points it felt like someone's idealised view of what being in a band is like. I've played in bands for ten years and it's often been really dull and hard work. When everyone's got a beer in their hand at 1pm and there's Motley Crue playing in the background, or there's people crowdsurfing on a moving bus, or you're having a conversation with five people who are all wearing your tour shirt, or a guy who drove twelve hours to come to the show, it starts to feel like not real life any more. I hope to be in a position to get used to this!

PS: Here's a pavlova eating contest from the Melbourne show.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Fixed.

At many points it felt like someone's idealised view of what being in a band is like. I've played in bands for ten years and it's often been really dull and hard work. When everyone's got a beer in their hand at 1pm and there's Motley Crue playing in the background, or there's people crowdsurfing on a moving bus, or you're having a conversation with five people who are all wearing your tour shirt, or a guy who drove twelve hours to come to the show, it starts to feel like not real life any more. I hope to be in a position to get used to this!

PS: Here's a pavlova eating contest from the Melbourne show.
This is the incredible vibe I'm picking up on. Just fantastic, & yes, I hope you do get used to it. I must admit to being more than a bit jealous of the vibe aspect :( Take it while it's there Ben!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
My only regret (well, one of them) is that I didn't manage to see any Drummerworld people out there!
And don't I feel a right royal prick because of it?!?!?!

All I can say my friend, is that I'm sorry I didn't get there and we didn't get to hook up for a beer. When I expressed full confidence in being able to attend the Espy gig, I didn't realise that it was the Easter long weekend. It was a Saturday night that I was already spoken for, and to break it to head out and watch some dude in a friggen' cape...........well, you know how the story rolls from here.......divorce, settlement, custody issues.......the aftermath ain't pretty.

Suffice it to say, sorry I missed you Ben. But I hope your visit Downunder was enough of a blast to prompt a glorious return of "The Hammer" in the not too distant future. Although, try for a friggen' regular weekend this time will ya?......Who knows, I may even be able to buy you a pint this time!!

Hope you had a ball here, mate. :)

PQleyR

Platinum Member
And don't I feel a right royal prick because of it?!?!?!

All I can say my friend, is that I'm sorry I didn't get there and we didn't get to hook up for a beer. When I expressed full confidence in being able to attend the Espy gig, I didn't realise that it was the Easter long weekend. It was a Saturday night that I was already spoken for, and to break it to head out and watch some dude in a friggen' cape...........well, you know how the story rolls from here.......divorce, settlement, custody issues.......the aftermath ain't pretty.

Suffice it to say, sorry I missed you Ben. But I hope your visit Downunder was enough of a blast to prompt a glorious return of "The Hammer" in the not too distant future. Although, try for a friggen' regular weekend this time will ya?......Who knows, I may even be able to buy you a pint this time!!

Hope you had a ball here, mate. :)
No worries, I fully expected that there'd be other demands on everyone's time. I can hardly expect everyone to drop everything just because I happen to be in the vicinity.

I hope we'll be returning in the future, although it won't be for a little while if we do. Maybe after we do the next album. I was amazed by how many fans we already have over there.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Love the pics, Ben. Looks like a great working holiday. How about the audience - all chanting out the lyrics. Talk about a dedicated following! I would lay good money down that every single one of them is a Python fan :) Maybe for marketing you should target Python fan clubs and conventions? Ditto Spinal Tap lol

I got your email. Bugger that we missed each other by minutes. As I said in my reply (before seeing this thread) - next time you come here I expect you to be at the Enmore Theatre!

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I would lay good money down that every single one of them is a Python fan :)
I think you're underestimating the popularity of power metal, niche though it is. This is an entirely separate subculture with different standards for irony etc...not that it's absent, just that the conventions and expectations are different to what you'd expect in the mainstream which treats metal as a whole as ridiculous...this stuff is like metal-within-metal from that point of view.

Arky

Platinum Member
Ben, just wanted to congratulate you on that tour and on things running superbly!