The things we see in the name of marketing ;)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So everytime I log in to Drummerworld, there are those ads on the front page. I guess the latest one is that Tama one for the Silverstar and some kid named Matt. Just for fun today I clicked on the link which took me to a video of this Matt guy raving about these Tama's and how 'nothing else comes close'.

I don't have any qualms about Matts playing, I just find it a little unbelieveable that these Silverstars are really that incredible. Really? Tama makes higher-end drums than this, has Matt ever played a Starclassic bubinga elite? Wow, they're dynamic and loud - I never noticed that before in any drum. Yes, I'm rolling my eyes. Part of me thinks Tama told him, you can endorse any of our kits, as long as it's a Silverstar. So he says nice things about the Silverstar. The drums obviously sound great in the video, and I'm sure every 14-year-old kid has access to a mixing board and nice mics and an engineer too.

When I was a kid I didn't believe what the pros had to say about the intermediate drumsets, because if they were that great, they'd be using them too. I did believe Louie Bellson when he did an ad about the then-new Remo PTS drums though, the ad made no bones about the fact that they were meant for students, and he did in fact use some of the PTS heads every once in a while on his regular drums. But I guess nothings' really changed. Marketing is marketing. I realize they're just moving product, that's what its all about, so I'm just cynical, eh?

To be fair, there was another questionable ad on DW when Drum Workshop advertised that their pedals now come with rubber on the bottoms of their pedals instead of the usual velcro. Heck, they did that back in the day when they first got into using plates and then for some reason decided to force everyone into this velcro idea - which I totally hated. Who wants their pedal to be stuck to the carpet? And then when you pried your pedal off of the carpeting, you unglued the carpet from the floor. I'm sure homeowners and club owners just loved having to have their carpeting re-glued after some drummer literally peels it off of the floor! So now they've gone back to rubber - well, duh, I say!

Is it bad that I question manufacturers advertising on Drummerworld? Sorry ;)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with you on this Bo, although I'm super happy for any site support income that Drummerworld can derive from targeted ad's (I think those top banners are Google Adsense).

Never mind. I am super sensitive in ensuring absolute transparency & credibility in the way we're to launch our Origin range. If that means our marketing misses the mark in terms of capturing numbers through wow factor & so called innovation with pseudo benefits, then frankly, that's a price worth paying. "The video" is one such area where we'll be going the extra mile. There will be no hidden embellishment disguised as "honest capture".

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I heard a new set of Silverstars at a clinic here and they sounded OK but nothing better than Luddies, Gretsch, Tama I have heard live. I would love to see an ad where they said "these drums sound pretty good for the money" Never going to happen.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I heard a new set of Silverstars at a clinic here and they sounded OK but nothing better than Luddies, Gretsch, Tama I have heard live. I would love to see an ad where they said "these drums sound pretty good for the money" Never going to happen.
I bet Ludwig could run an ad like that and totally get away with it. They could say something like, "Our drums sound pretty good for the money you spend, and they should. We've only been doing this now for 100 years".

And other upstart companies can say, "You know that Ludwig sound? Us too."

Anon La Ply

Renegade
It's everywhere. Have to admit the pictures of McDonalds burgers above the counter used to get me riled. There'd be this thick layer of crispy, fresh lettuce in the pics and when you got the burger there'd be a few strands of slimy, limpid near-food formerly known as lettuce. If I was a complainer I would have complained to the ACCC about false advertising.

I tune it all out, maybe too much given that it's helpful to know what's out there. When ads come on I automatically turn the sound down or change channels, and all these years of surfing has trained me to not see ads - they really are invisible to me.

Sometimes I feel a pang of guilt because the services I'm using are often funded by advertisers, and if not for them I'd have to pay ... then I forget about it and carry on as usual.

MaryO

Platinum Member
What????? You mean truth in advertising is NOT the norm? Darn...next thing you'll be telling me is that I can't believe everything I'm hearing in all of those presidential campaign ads I've been seeing...............Nah, that would never happen.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
What????? You mean truth in advertising is NOT the norm? Darn...next thing you'll be telling me is that I can't believe everything I'm hearing in all of those presidential campaign ads I've been seeing...............Nah, that would never happen.
Well, my point wasn't so much about not getting truth in advertising, just the audacity to tell me these Silverstars are the $h%t when Tama happily makes drums that cost four times as much, that I've owned. And then to have some kid who sounds like he's 15 telling me seemed a little insulting. Obviously, they're shooting for the younger market, but come on. Guys like me are the ones with the money, not the kids whose parents buy them the one drum set, right?

BTW - I get what's going on here too. I notice a guy like Benny Greb get's Sonor's SQ2's, and his own snare drum, whereas fellow Sonor artist Emmannuelle Cappplllleettte get's the Ascent drums. I wonder if Sonor does this on purpose? I mean even when Jojo broke out at the Modern Drummer festival back in the late 90s, he was playing the then-new Force 3007's, right? Me senses a bit of a hierarchy? I'm sure when this Matt kid with Tama grows up and becomes the next big fusion star with more exposure, I'm sure he'll be selling us some Starclassics sooner or later.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'll use your own words to cover my thoughts on this.

Marketing is marketing. I realize they're just moving product, that's what its all about,
No more, no less.

All advertising is, is creating an illusion. You may not be buying that illusion, but rest assured someone is. It works, pure and simple. You wouldn't have a multi-billion dollar industry if it didn't.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Good observation Bo, & the Silverstars are a good example of the difficulties manufacturers face in promoting a whole range. The reason manufacturers have a number of ranges available is to attract as wide a demographic as they can. Their entry level offerings are there to "snag 'em young". Lowest possible cost, with just enough visual cues relating to the brand component identity to offer credibility. At the other end of the scale, their high end drums are there to add prestige to the brand. The truth is, most manufacturers make small margins on their entry and high end level kits compared to their mid range strata. Instilling brand loyalty, then offering an aspirational upgrade ladder builds the ideal customer, but how do you market big time value in one sector of your offerings without diminishing another sector in some way. There's always telling the truth, as Grunt suggested, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Accordingly, I think they go for the safe option, & praise everything to the max. So everything is better than everything else. They're told that brand exposure & consistent displays of orgasmic level enthusiasm are the only ways to snag the numbers. The really disappointing thing is, they're right.

Regrettably, only the already informed are the ones screaming "please, just give me some freakin' information", leaving the uninformed to gladly soak up the diet of wow factor.

I can live with all of this, but the one thing that really bugs me, is the deception that often passes as the corporate video, featuring the $299.99 5 piece kit sounding like a thunderstorm playing God's harp!