The Squeak King in action...

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Hey boys and girls, I got an idea for a fun game whilst driving in my car the other day. How many songs can you think of that feature the Squeak King, front and center, doing its thing?

I'll start:
Cissy Strut by the Meters
and of course the most (in)famous of all... Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin.

T

The Old Hyde

Hey boys and girls, I got an idea for a fun game whilst driving in my car the other day. How many songs can you think of that feature the Squeak King, front and center, doing its thing?

I'll start:
Cissy Strut by the Meters
and of course the most (in)famous of all... Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin.
Hey, not trying to be a jerk but can you point out what time in the Zep song you can hear the squeak. I cant hear it no matter how loud I play the song. I know a lot of people say it, I just wish it could be pointed out to me.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
I don't think you're being a jerk for asking that, OH...

You hear it clearly in the quieter parts. Best and most obvious place is right at the top, through the whole intro. It's exactly on the eight notes between the kick beats, so it's squeaking on the rebound swing, as the pedal board moves upward. Every kick beat is preceded by a squeak. I think if you're not hearing it, it's not your fault. Different sound systems will increase/decrease how much you can hear it, so try listening on a different system. It's definitely there. Maybe try not to hear it, and then it'll be obvious.

My point in starting this thread, btw, wasn't to trash the Speed King in any way. Or to suggest that the songs where you hear it are somehow "ruined" by the squeaking. To me, it's totally part of the song, and kind of cool, actually. The pedal is rightly infamous for the squeak, but it's still famous and beloved for every other reason. Besides, if it was good enough for John Bonham, it's good enough for me.

T

The Old Hyde

I have been listening to the beat, not the up stroke so that may well be my problem. I have been dying to hear it for years. Now that I know when to hear it I think it will help. I have a 1967 Speedking I took apart and re-greased. Its on my practice kit and I love it! Funny on my first kit my parents bought me, a used maxitone from japan, came with a speedking and I loved it from the start. Thanks again

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I have been listening to the beat, not the up stroke so that may well be my problem. I have been dying to hear it for years.
Don't feel bad. I read something a couple of years ago where Jimmy Page stated that when he re-mastered those old recordings he didn't realize the squeak was there until after he finished the whole process. If he had heard it or known about it, he said he definitely would have removed it.

I think it gives the song (in Bonham's case) life. It's a real person playing a real piece of equipment in a real song.

T

The Old Hyde

HAHAHA I hear it finally in Since I've Been loving you and it is everywhere!!! I missed it all these years because I was listening to the hit, not the stroke, duh. Thanks for that info, holy cow I cant un-hear it!!

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Exactly! One heard it can never be un-heard.

And in a strange twist of fate... I was rehearsing with a vocal group the other night, playing real quiet, when I noticed... my trusty Eliminator is squeaking! I better lube up before the gig on Saturday!

alparrott

Platinum Member
Wow, how can one NOT hear it in "Since I've Been Loving You"? ...

I think the game's pretty much done and won with that song...

T

The Old Hyde

I think the game's pretty much done and won with that song...
honestly never heard it before, now I hear it chirping and squeaking all over the place.

How cruel! I always love that tune and now I hear $$#%* squeaks all through it.

I have never noticed a bass pedal squeak on record until now.
funny how it wasn't there and now it is.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I read something a couple of years ago where Jimmy Page stated that when he re-mastered those old recordings he didn't realize the squeak was there until after he finished the whole process. If he had heard it or known about it, he said he definitely would have removed it.
Funny thing, aural perception. I (like most here, I imagine) have tinnitus but I don't notice it most of the time. I guess it depends on the amount and kind of focus you have.

Bull

Gold Member
It's in "Houses of the Holy" too, but not as prominent.You actually have to listen for it.