The sound of the drum is within the heads

I like this format much better. Just get to the point and play the drums. The “sounds like a drum” guys “sound like talking” to me. Lotta talk and very little drums. I realize they are trying to make money with their site and they get paid more for longer videos. I have no problem with that but I could get by if they were all shortened about 90%. YMMV ?
Totally understand where you're coming from however, the context we provide with the narrative is the key. Otherwise you're just listening to Cody hit drums. Don't get me wrong- that's fun too but next to nothing about tuning, tone, application, context can be learned from just that. We never set out to make any money with this- in fact, we produced nearly 50 episodes before we even made any money and we've always made the videos available for free. In fact, I've personally LOST quite a bit of money through opportunity cost with producing the series but it was always meant to be a passion project anyway.

That said, we've been planning out a new series with a new format that would be some of the most detailed comparisons ever presented for the world of drums. Short form, focused almost entirely on the sound (which can speak for itself when we're doing comparisons...) and done via the scientific method. Are we doing it to make money? You must be joking- I could make more money working at the gas station around the corner given how much time this work takes. But we LOVE this stuff more than anyone I know.

@BenOBrienSmith often pops up on here. Love their stuff!:)(y)
Looks like I've got some some catch up to do on this thread! Thanks for the tag!

Coming to the defense of the "Sounds Like a Drum" series...

Those guys are great. Opinions are opinions, but gee whiz, these guys are on our side. The losing money thing proves that.

Thank yous IMO are more fitting

Thanks Ben and Cody for all the great content you guys work so hard for....to give to us free of charge.

I hope you don't lose any more money

Those guys are great. Opinions are opinions, but gee whiz, these guys are on our side. The losing money thing proves that.

Thanks Ben and Cody for all the great content you guys work so hard for....to give to us free of charge.

100% this. (y) :)

Thanks! The support from our Patreon helps keep us going. We hope to be able to expand to provide even more content with enough support in the future. For the time being we're just happy to be fortunate enough to have a platform to share this information and inspire others.

Totally understand where you're coming from however, the context we provide with the narrative is the key. Otherwise you're just listening to Cody hit drums. Don't get me wrong- that's fun too but next to nothing about tuning, tone, application, context can be learned from just that. We never set out to make any money with this- in fact, we produced nearly 50 episodes before we even made any money and we've always made the videos available for free. In fact, I've personally LOST quite a bit of money through opportunity cost with producing the series but it was always meant to be a passion project anyway.

That said, we've been planning out a new series with a new format that would be some of the most detailed comparisons ever presented for the world of drums. Short form, focused almost entirely on the sound (which can speak for itself when we're doing comparisons...) and done via the scientific method. Are we doing it to make money? You must be joking- I could make more money working at the gas station around the corner given how much time this work takes. But we LOVE this stuff more than anyone I know.

Looks like I've got some some catch up to do on this thread! Thanks for the tag!

I'll never, never understand the aversion people have on this board to people trying to build something on youtube and trying to get compensated for their time. Especially when the content is as fun and valuable as the content you provide.

As a proud patron (dynasonic I think?) - my money is literally where my mouth is when it comes to supporting you guys and I'm looking forward to the future for you!!

As someone that has also produced an online series - I understand the time and most importantly the PASSION it takes to make something like you guys have made and I wish you all the best and you can count on my continued support! (Especially when you pick some of those Cymbal Resonance systems haha)

Are we doing it to make money? You must be joking- I could make more money working at the gas station around the corner given how much time this work takes. But we LOVE this stuff more than anyone I know.
I'm often surprised how many in drumming fail to recognise just how much time & investment goes into anything high quality that's passion driven, be that video content, crafting instruments, etc, especially as most fully recognise drumming to a high standard itself requires exactly that.

I'm often surprised how many in drumming fail to recognise just how much time & investment goes into anything high quality that's passion driven, be that video content, crafting instruments, etc, especially as most fully recognise drumming to a high standard itself requires exactly that.
Kind of wild, right? Next these musicians will start demanding payment for performances. I mean, whatever happened to the love of music... ?

. I mean, whatever happened to the love of music... ? it's all in my head..
[/QUOTE]

Too many loud concerts, artillery fire, drag racing, and being a metalworker for almost 3 decades. I wish I could blame it on the drums.
That's not a life - that's an assault course for ears! The only thing you've missed is waving those pingpong bats at Grumman Tomcats on the deck of an aircraft carrier. (Sans ear protectors, obvs)

I said! THAT'S NOT A LIFE - THAT'S AN ASSAULT COURSE FOR ...

“Most all drums feel good to me, sincerely. Drums are drums, depending on the kind of head and how you tune them.”

Great interview, thank you. (y)

But still...over all these years (decades) I will inevitably pick maple over birch..do I have the ears of a k-9?. This is the guy I've been telling you about. He does make me think I'm PSYCHOTIC in the fact that every drum I've ever chosen has been under dillusion?. Am I that incompetent in choosing what I do?. Why thinner bass drums have more boom! Than thicker shelled (bass drums) I've been under the influence of drum company jargain my entire life?. A bell brass snare is horrifyingly similar to one of carbon fiber?. I'm serious..i need to see a shrink. But then wait a minute...ive been searching for my dream kit for 20 years and it never appears...im never happy thinking everything sounds the same. I need to lay down on a couch...i think I'm gonna be sick.

I think there's some truth to this. I've played a lot of different types of drums, brands, shells, and wood.

I joke that every time at practice when I tune the drums I always say "Yup, sounds like a drum". I know some people and guitarist get so into tuning and getting it just right. But in the mix all that goes away.
This is true, but guitarists have zero flexibility in their tuning, while drummers do it with style and a key. Seriously though I do agree with a lot of what he says.

But still...over all these years (decades) I will inevitably pick maple over birch..do I have the ears of a k-9?. This is the guy I've been telling you about. He does make me think I'm PSYCHOTIC in the fact that every drum I've ever chosen has been under dillusion?. Am I that incompetent in choosing what I do?. Why thinner bass drums have more boom! Than thicker shelled (bass drums) I've been under the influence of drum company jargain my entire life?. A bell brass snare is horrifyingly similar to one of carbon fiber?. I'm serious..i need to see a shrink. But then wait a minute...ive been searching for my dream kit for 20 years and it never appears...im never happy thinking everything sounds the same. I need to lay down on a couch...i think I'm gonna be sick.

or...just listen to your favorite music/song/player, and think about how it felt when you first heard the song. I KNOW for me that the drum sound itself did not move me....it was the groove, and the combined sounds of the whole group. (it was DAve Brubecks Take 5)

I used to really "sweat" whether I was buying the ultimate drum for the sound...and whether I had the right head combo, or shell ply, or depth; whether too much metal screwed into the shell was muting the shell vibrations; which notes to tune the drums to....I went through a BIG analyzation period in my late 20's, and still ove being that way when the time is right

and then I found that through tuning, and playing along to stuff with what I had, I could get pretty close to the sounds I was hearing...and enjoyed that process much more....tuning, stick placement, dynamics, amount of rebound all became more of what I worked with because it is fluid. The shell type, head combination, etc....are not immediately fluid

I was just talking to my bassist about this after practice tonight. He was asking if drummers get into the tone wood discussion as much as guitarists. I just laughed. But in the end we both agreed that while it has some impact in a real world playing scenario it will almost never make much impact, or certainly not the impact the marketing claims.

The main situation we agreed where tone-wood makes a difference would be solo classical guitar.
My dad is a luthier and I believe hollow body guitars do sound different based on the wood used. Almost all of his guitars- even the acoustics- are electric. He doesn’t use layers of glued plywood though...it’s basically a thin layer of whatever wood with other components (such as control pots and pickups, which are equally important), fashioned together like most every other guitar, but with more attention to detail than fender or Gibson mass produced models. And his are setup ready to play whereas the big name brands come with the strings 1/4” off the fretboard. Think Martin vs Sears.

The Sound of the drum is within YOUR head. Its all perception.

If you cant hear the difference in the shells and believe most of the sound type comes from the heads fine, good for you.

But thats not how my head perceives it. To my head the shell makes a big difference given the same drum heads and room.

Help me understand this, because I'm a little skeptical. I'm not trying to be difficult, honestly. My question is to you drummers that claim that the shell itself makes a noticeable difference. Let's say that you are there in person with the drums and not listening through any speakers of any kind. Can you tell which wood, or other material, is being played just by listening to a drum? If you were part of a blind test of various shells, could you discern which wood was which? And what about if you were hearing those same drums mixed in with other musical instruments? Could you still tell which shell was which?
It's not a matter of telling which wood but hearing the difference... Human brain, like sight, ears, is not good to name or recognize a specific wood or color... But if you place two photos close to them, you could see very distinctive colors difference between the photo while if you look at only one photo, it tough to say which one tend to be more yellow or more green... Well, you need to have a trained eye to do that...same for drums, ears, tough to tell which wood but play different wood and the ears could really hear a !ot of variables...even if you cannot name it, recognize it...beauty of human Brain, not good at the absolute but very good at discerning differences...

Last edited:
Back