The sound of the drum is within the heads

BenOBrienSmith

I like this format much better. Just get to the point and play the drums. The “sounds like a drum” guys “sound like talking” to me. Lotta talk and very little drums. I realize they are trying to make money with their site and they get paid more for longer videos. I have no problem with that but I could get by if they were all shortened about 90%. YMMV 😁
Totally understand where you're coming from however, the context we provide with the narrative is the key. Otherwise you're just listening to Cody hit drums. Don't get me wrong- that's fun too but next to nothing about tuning, tone, application, context can be learned from just that. We never set out to make any money with this- in fact, we produced nearly 50 episodes before we even made any money and we've always made the videos available for free. In fact, I've personally LOST quite a bit of money through opportunity cost with producing the series but it was always meant to be a passion project anyway.

That said, we've been planning out a new series with a new format that would be some of the most detailed comparisons ever presented for the world of drums. Short form, focused almost entirely on the sound (which can speak for itself when we're doing comparisons...) and done via the scientific method. Are we doing it to make money? You must be joking- I could make more money working at the gas station around the corner given how much time this work takes. But we LOVE this stuff more than anyone I know.

@BenOBrienSmith often pops up on here. Love their stuff!:)(y)
Looks like I've got some some catch up to do on this thread! Thanks for the tag!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Coming to the defense of the "Sounds Like a Drum" series...

Those guys are great. Opinions are opinions, but gee whiz, these guys are on our side. The losing money thing proves that.

Thank yous IMO are more fitting

Thanks Ben and Cody for all the great content you guys work so hard for....to give to us free of charge.

I hope you don't lose any more money

Al Strange

Those guys are great. Opinions are opinions, but gee whiz, these guys are on our side. The losing money thing proves that.

Thanks Ben and Cody for all the great content you guys work so hard for....to give to us free of charge.

100% this. (y) :)

BenOBrienSmith

Thanks! The support from our Patreon helps keep us going. We hope to be able to expand to provide even more content with enough support in the future. For the time being we're just happy to be fortunate enough to have a platform to share this information and inspire others.

NouveauCliche

Totally understand where you're coming from however, the context we provide with the narrative is the key. Otherwise you're just listening to Cody hit drums. Don't get me wrong- that's fun too but next to nothing about tuning, tone, application, context can be learned from just that. We never set out to make any money with this- in fact, we produced nearly 50 episodes before we even made any money and we've always made the videos available for free. In fact, I've personally LOST quite a bit of money through opportunity cost with producing the series but it was always meant to be a passion project anyway.

That said, we've been planning out a new series with a new format that would be some of the most detailed comparisons ever presented for the world of drums. Short form, focused almost entirely on the sound (which can speak for itself when we're doing comparisons...) and done via the scientific method. Are we doing it to make money? You must be joking- I could make more money working at the gas station around the corner given how much time this work takes. But we LOVE this stuff more than anyone I know.

Looks like I've got some some catch up to do on this thread! Thanks for the tag!
I'll never, never understand the aversion people have on this board to people trying to build something on youtube and trying to get compensated for their time. Especially when the content is as fun and valuable as the content you provide.

As a proud patron (dynasonic I think?) - my money is literally where my mouth is when it comes to supporting you guys and I'm looking forward to the future for you!!

As someone that has also produced an online series - I understand the time and most importantly the PASSION it takes to make something like you guys have made and I wish you all the best and you can count on my continued support! (Especially when you pick some of those Cymbal Resonance systems haha)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Are we doing it to make money? You must be joking- I could make more money working at the gas station around the corner given how much time this work takes. But we LOVE this stuff more than anyone I know.
I'm often surprised how many in drumming fail to recognise just how much time & investment goes into anything high quality that's passion driven, be that video content, crafting instruments, etc, especially as most fully recognise drumming to a high standard itself requires exactly that.

BenOBrienSmith

I'm often surprised how many in drumming fail to recognise just how much time & investment goes into anything high quality that's passion driven, be that video content, crafting instruments, etc, especially as most fully recognise drumming to a high standard itself requires exactly that.
Kind of wild, right? Next these musicians will start demanding payment for performances. I mean, whatever happened to the love of music... 😉

Yamaha Rider

Too many loud concerts, artillery fire, drag racing, and being a metalworker for almost 3 decades. I wish I could blame it on the drums.
That's not a life - that's an assault course for ears! The only thing you've missed is waving those pingpong bats at Grumman Tomcats on the deck of an aircraft carrier. (Sans ear protectors, obvs)

I said! THAT'S NOT A LIFE - THAT'S AN ASSAULT COURSE FOR ...

Zaster

“Most all drums feel good to me, sincerely. Drums are drums, depending on the kind of head and how you tune them.”

Al Strange

“Most all drums feel good to me, sincerely. Drums are drums, depending on the kind of head and how you tune them.”

Great interview, thank you. (y)